Frank Mir confirms “unspoken rule among fighters” that tapping to strikes is “unacceptable” & “soft”

I agree with that sentiment, in the long run accumulated strikes to the head will be more detrimental to your overall health.
This doesnt necessarily mean it is perceived as such, i.e.
"You're a fighter, if you cant take a punch to the face, youre in the wrong profession"
vs
"Of course he tapped, there was no way out and he would have been sidelined for half a year, just for "honor" lol"

I think older fighters perceived it like you do. But now fighters are up with modern medicine, so for them its:

"I'm supposed to tap to something with almost zero short term or long term consequences, or to something that will take me out of action for six months but with minor long term consequences, but I'm not supposed to tap to something thing that will not only shorten my career by taking away my ability to take a strike, but will seriously degrade my mental capacities the rest of my life? Seriously? Who would agree to that kind of a scam?"

So, I agree you're right about previous generations of fighters (and hockey and football players), but wrong about ones that have followed the news about concussions.

No it's nothing like "I can't take the pain anymore". It's more along the lines of your brain being scrambled, your body not responding, and survival instinct kicking in.
Fucking bunch of tough guys here who'vwho've never been in a fight since they had to wrestle their bag of doritos open.
bro you can't tap in a real fight. you'll just die or wait for the other guy to get tired or have mercy on you. tapping isnt going to do shit. that being said its a sport and these guys make their money doing it. but on the other hand it really negatively affects peoples opinions of you. Noone can imagine ali tapping to strikes and thats why they love him.

bro you can't tap in a real fight. you'll just die or wait for the other guy to get tired or have mercy on you. tapping isnt going to do shit. that being said its a sport and these guys make their money doing it. but on the other hand it really negatively affects peoples opinions of you. Noone can imagine ali tapping to strikes and thats why they love him.
I realize you can't tap in a street fight and you have to hope the other person is merciful and doesn't try to kill you when you turtle. I get that. But these professionals have rules that need to be obeyed in order to keep the sport legitimate enough to earn money and pay these guys to entertain us. I was watching when it was bare knuckle. I was watching when McCain called it human cockfighting. I was watching when NY finally sanctioned it. The sport has developed to the point that this is now a feasible career for these guys, and not a pit fight where guys were lucky to make $100 to get their head stomped. I'm in no fucking position to say a guy who taps to strikes is somehow less than a guy who gets smoked unconscious because of some unwritten rule shared by Frank Mir. That's ludicrous.
I guess you enjoy guys slurring, forgetting days at a time, and losing years off their life, because it's manlier.
Good for you.

i'm not a fighter so I'm in no position to judge what internal values they've agreed upon as a fraternity. it's interesting though. tapping from a choke, which is relatively harmless is not soft, but tapping to getting your brain rattled in soft. must be something that's held over from boxing

valuing your limbs over your brain. not sure if that's a good thing.
Bro you and me are bros. I love yo ass. Fedor and Shogun = HW and LHW GOATS, period.

Interesting, I didn't know that it was an unspoken rule among fighters, albeit I suspected. Tapping to strikes will humble anyone

Can't tap to chokes or locks in a street fight either.

But street fights also generally involve weapons, multiple attackers, or both - and by often, I mean over 90% of the time where I live according to police crime stats, and probably over 50% of the time in most jurisdictions (you can check your local crime stats). So street fights are a poor analogy to an MMA fight, where weapons aren't allowed, you only have one opponent, and a referee to make sure things follow the rules (though admittedly some refs are better at that than others).

Tapping to strikes medically makes more sense than tapping to chokes or locks; as soon as that became medically clear (about a decade ago) the whole paradigm of it being okay to tap to chokes and locks but not strikes began to change. When head strikes made no difference (as in when ten year old hockey players would be knocked out, revived, and sent back on the ice the next shift because no one thought there was any problem with being concussed) the old paradigm was logical. But that's no longer the case - send that ten year old back on the ice today and you'll be both arrested and sued.

I dont agree with it.

There is no way anyone could accuse Shogun or Joanna of being soft with a straight face.

And look where that pride got Ali.
Everyone loves him but he walked around like he's dribbling two basketballs nobody can see in his later years.
If you know you have lost the fight and there is no coming back, live to fight another day. No point taking loads of unnecessary thumps to the face. These people tryna make a living off of this. Fuck pride.
I remember that recent Canadian card UFC 215. Rick Glenn Vs Gavin Tucker.
Glenn had his number right from the beginning. By the end of round 2 it was obvious Tucker was finished. He ended up coming out of that fight with, if I remember, a smashed orbital bone and other bits of nastiness.
I wouldn't have minded if he tapped to the strikes. Glenn was Khabib-ing him the whole fight. Funny we haven't heard from him since September.
If he tapped to strikes, he could've just moved on from the obvious loss and maybe he'd be fighting again around now.

Betting everything on Mir tapping to strikes round one...

You are lacking the warrior spirit grasshopper. The fight must go on

Yup. Which is why tapping to chokes and locks, which are less damaging than concussions (the medical profession is 100% behind that statement), is even more lacking in warrior spirit than tapping to strikes.

Or as you said before, let the refs do their job. Their job includes stopping the fight due to chokes and armlocks as well as strikes. Of course, in all three cases that requires trusting the refs to do the job competently. The question becomes, do you trust the ref enough to wait for them to stop a choke, armlock or strikes?

I realize you can't tap in a street fight and you have to hope the other person is merciful and doesn't try to kill you when you turtle. I get that. But these professionals have rules that need to be obeyed in order to keep the sport legitimate enough to earn money and pay these guys to entertain us. I was watching when it was bare knuckle. I was watching when McCain called it human cockfighting. I was watching when NY finally sanctioned it. The sport has developed to the point that this is now a feasible career for these guys, and not a pit fight where guys were lucky to make $100 to get their head stomped. I'm in no fucking position to say a guy who taps to strikes is somehow less than a guy who gets smoked unconscious because of some unwritten rule shared by Frank Mir. That's ludicrous.
I guess you enjoy guys slurring, forgetting days at a time, and losing years off their life, because it's manlier.
Good for you.
no hence why I said " its a sport."

After all the shots he has taken to the head, he is still pretty well spoken

Back