Frank Shamrock vs. Kazushi Sakuraba Confirmed for Oct. 15 in RIZIN (Grappling Bout)

Motto?

• Total voters
A

AronaBeatsJones

CPUy81OUsAAJTrP.jpg

One of the most anticipated fights in the history of MMA was announced for Oct. 15 in Fukuoka, Japan.

Rizin, at a press conference Friday, announced that Kazushi Sakuraba will face Frank Shamrock in a grappling match on the company's next show at the Marine Messe Arena. Shamrock is a late replacement for Dan Henderson, who Rizin officials announced had pulled out due to a neck injury.

Shamrock confirmed the match to MMA Fighting shortly after the press conference. He said he was first asked about doing the fight one week ago, and started training to see if he felt he could do it, and confirmed the fight this week.

Sakuraba vs. Shamrock was considered by many as the biggest possible under-200 pound fight of another generation, when Shamrock had retired as UFC under-200 pound champion after a series of spectacular finishes, and Sakuraba had become the biggest fighting star in Japan.

Shamrock went to Japan at the time, and appeared at a Pride show issuing a direct challenge to Sakuraba. But the match never happened.​

SOURCE: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/...es-kazushi-sakuraba-but-under-grappling-rules

This is totally my jam.

Shamrock should take this, but this match is going to bring back Pancrase / PRIDE memories. Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
why do a stupid grappling match? it's stupid just like national anthems

They should do a pancrase match with only open handed slaps allowed and that's it

It would be perfect neither would get hurt and people like me would not hate it

I mean I like grappling but not the gay gay kind

I was under the impression that Frank Shamrock doesn't even train martial arts anymore and hasn't done so for a number of years.

2 of my all time favourite but I expect Sakuraba to win

EPICNESS!

Saku takes this, Frank is too soft these days

CPUy81OUsAAJTrP.jpg

One of the most anticipated fights in the history of MMA was announced for Oct. 15 in Fukuoka, Japan.

Rizin, at a press conference Friday, announced that Kazushi Sakuraba will face Frank Shamrock in a grappling match on the company's next show at the Marine Messe Arena. Shamrock is a late replacement for Dan Henderson, who Rizin officials announced had pulled out due to a neck injury.

Shamrock confirmed the match to MMA Fighting shortly after the press conference. He said he was first asked about doing the fight one week ago, and started training to see if he felt he could do it, and confirmed the fight this week.

Sakuraba vs. Shamrock was considered by many as the biggest possible under-200 pound fight of another generation, when Shamrock had retired as UFC under-200 pound champion after a series of spectacular finishes, and Sakuraba had become the biggest fighting star in Japan.

Shamrock went to Japan at the time, and appeared at a Pride show issuing a direct challenge to Sakuraba. But the match never happened.​

SOURCE: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/...es-kazushi-sakuraba-but-under-grappling-rules
SAKU is GOAT, but Frank´s motto is GOAT.

B eye.gif

I wonder how much money they paid Shamrock to take this grappling match on short notice.

CPUy81OUsAAJTrP.jpg

Your poll is in fact bullshit, as Frank and Saku are both catch guys.

Regardless, Two of my favorite fighters ever. I'm glad to see Frank and Saku compete on a grappling level. They are too old to be taking punches anymore. Especially Saku.

I would give Frank the advantage as he is less worn, but has a bad back. But Saku is Saku so he could catch him. Also I don't think Frank has been training in any form as of late. Other than just general fitness. But it's just grappling which I feel is more intuitive. So we'll see.

<Dana05> .

In any case Frank already had a win against Dan, Back when they both were in their primes. Frank can put in work on the mat. But Saku has an epic single leg ( his knees are bad though).

Last edited:
I want Sakuraba to win. I'm happy it's grappling and not full-on MMA, for his health.

Maurice Smith says he'll extend stay and support Frank Shamrock in Fuckoka. But I don't know why he was in Japan or if he gets free accom somewhere for that long.

Shamrock-Kosaka-Mo were called "alliance" in late 1990's. The original interracial minority team that helps each other success in MMA.

I was excited to see him compete against Dan Henderson but this is even better.

I don't give one iota about submission grappling, so I don't care.

These guys were scheduled TWICE to fight for the first PrideFC middleweight title, but the fights were called off due to injury both times. Should be a fun wrassle.

Back