Free agent Sage Northcutt considering a move to Bellator

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.mmamania.com/2018/9/4/1...ere-fighters-make-double-triple-what-ufc-pays

”I am a free agent, yes sir,” Northcutt said. “I’m not sure how it works, what my contract says or anything, but yes I am a free agent now and I know that going to other leagues like Bellator or ONE FC or whatever it may be, that guys or friends of mine, for example Rory MacDonald, people that fought for the UFC like Machida, they’re making double if not triple what they were making fighting for the UFC.”

”So I guess we’re gonna see what happens, but the difference is these guys are making more than what the guys are making fighting for the title in the UFC make. So I guess we’ll have to see and find out what happens.”

Would like to see Sage in Rizin.

With his world-class manners, he would do well over there.

He would be a great addition to Rizin, I agree. Bellator could be nice as well.

Dana is not letting this kid go anywhere. Bellator and Rizin aren't going into a bidding war over him either. He stays put.

I'd like to see him in Bellator or Rizin as well.

Sage in Rizin would be awesome but let’s be honest, they’re not outbidding Bellator. To be honest, I don’t even see him leaving UFC. Bellator will prob offer like $300k and UFC might match it.

He's worth 4X Paige Vanzant and 7X CM Punk!
Paige VanZant last fight segment pulled in 4.2 million viewers, so put some respect on that PVZ hater-aid of yours. That woman gets ratings.

”I am a free agent, yes sir,” Northcutt said.
Made me LOL right off the bat!
Yes sir, diddly-doo! :D
Sage is the Ned Flanders of MMA.

I think he (or his daddy/manager/trainers) overestimate his worth. He’s average at best, with flashes of talent overshadowed by glaring holes in his game, coupled with the fact that he folds under pressure. UFC tried to make him a star and not succeeded, and while they may or may not be willing to let him go, he’s not going to be a superstar anywhere.

Think UFC will want to keep him but wont overpay.

Old UFC wouldnt let him go after investing what they have in him but new UFC feels with contender series and signing prospects they can get cheaper fighters and push them like Izzy or O Malley. Lorenzo wouldnt even have let him become a free agent. But WME seems like they dont care who leaves as long as its not one of the 5 or so real stars that matter like Conor, Brock, Jones, GSP.

UFC is moving to ESPN and would love to put him and PVZ on those cards but are they gonna pay 300k a fight for him? He's young and can get better but he's just a mid/lower level WW right now really, if you are paying Rory or Eddie or Mousasai that you are paying them based on skill. You'd be paying for Sage based on what you think he can draw for you.

The hype isnt what it was when he first came up but thats let him go back and get better. He's got a name but dont really know what kind of draw he is. Like PVZ did biggest Fox numbers in years for her main event, he was on that card but he's never main evented a show. But shows he was on have peaked in million range for his fight.

if UFC puts him on ESPN is he gonna do killer ratings? if Bellator puts him on Spike is he gonna do more than their normal 500k?

If you pay him its because you think he can bring you that and more over the next few years. Guess we'll see which org really believes in him.

”I don’t want to say underpaid,” he said. “The UFC and the sport of MMA, it’s not about just talent, which I wish it was. The hard work, the grind, the energy that you put into it and how you perform out there. It’s not just about that and you could be a top ten guy, but maybe fans don’t tune in and watch some of the top ten guys because they haven’t even heard the guy’s name.”

“Sometimes someone walks into a room and everyone gravitates to that person. I don’t know how that works, but the UFC is looking for that, the UFC is a business that banks not just on talent but also how many people want to watch you fight and entertain them.”

Sage with some truth here.

It might be a wise business move for Sage to go to Bellator. But only if they let him fight that YouTube guy in an Internet-only PPV that would sell 500k...

Not sure UFC can risk him going to Bellator and turning into the star they thought he might become. Looks like they might be forced to pay him much more than they want to.

If that’s the case then expect him to be given much tougher competition from now on.

So I guess we'll see what happens

Mediocre fighter that pulls ratings because of his looks. Dana won't let him get away.

I don't think the UFC is done believing in what he may be come. They stuck a lot of promotional money behind him and I highly doubt they'd let him walk.

But WME seems to think a little differently than Zuffa. They for sure seem to set a value on a fighter and more or less stick to it. But they also seem to change tunes quite a bit. A year ago I doubt WME would've paid money for Usman as a back up for Till or Woodley. They learned there lesson that paying a guy 50K or whatever to be ready its much cheaper than losing the main event all together. I know if Bellator wants to go offer him something crazy like 350K a fight I think the UFC will say see you later.

Mistake if he leaves. He's seen as part of the UFC's future, he's been put in that space, and they'll matchmake to keep it like that even if he doesn't improve quickly. Which means he'll get paid more than what his ability shows.

Won't be like that elsewhere. He's not being associated with other orgs. Pico's that and the real deal for BT, for example. Won't get the same treatment and loses the privileges he's getting now.

”I don’t want to say underpaid,” he said. “The UFC and the sport of MMA, it’s not about just talent, which I wish it was. The hard work, the grind, the energy that you put into it and how you perform out there. It’s not just about that and you could be a top ten guy, but maybe fans don’t tune in and watch some of the top ten guys because they haven’t even heard the guy’s name.”

“Sometimes someone walks into a room and everyone gravitates to that person. I don’t know how that works, but the UFC is looking for that, the UFC is a business that banks not just on talent but also how many people want to watch you fight and entertain them.”

Sage with some truth here.

He's right but its funny he says he wishes it was just about talent because if it was just about talent he wouldnt be getting paid what he gets.

Back