Friend of mine screwed over by divorce

So it’s authentic NY pizza?

I've been to NY. Jamaica-Queens to be exact. Had some damn good pizza at a hole in the wall place. This place was staffed with all Italian mobster looking dudes. I even heard a 'baba-bing" out of one of them.

Last edited:
He should do a runner to Thailand or Cambodia and screw the idiot over but as has been said many times he should have seen this coming. She sounds like a terrible person to have married
Would it be possible to take all of his remaining money with him if he fled to SE Aisa? I see no point in leaving the US if he would be flat broke upon enter another country.

Yeah but we all know the temptation is to use that financial advantage to marry someone who is otherwise outside of the guys league (typically age and looks).

True and I don't see anything wrong with it. But just don't get married without a prenup.

The whole concept and purpose of marriage needs to be completely over hauled. Not abolished but just changed to a more realistic agreement that matches this century.

Under Islamic law he'd only had to pay alimony for like four months. Child support is only until the children are 9 years old, at which point they're supposed to go over to the father's household. None of this splitting the assets shit, unlike in Christianity the partners aren't seen as becoming one but are supposed to own their assets separately so whatever she bought on her own is hers and that's it. The woman is entitled to be supported by the man but only during the marriage, after the initial period of alimony(which is only to confirm that the woman isn't pregnant with the ex-husband's child) she's on her own.

Stoning adulterers and cutting the hands of thieves might be a bit much to say the least but when it comes to divorce I think I prefer the Sharia.
Why are you bringing in Islam into this? Not needed or even called for.

What can a person do in a situation like this?

You know the answer to this.

True and I don't see anything wrong with it. But just don't get married without a prenup.

The whole concept and purpose of marriage needs to be completely over hauled. Not abolished but just changed to a more realistic agreement that matches this century.

I don't think anything needs to be changed really. Just get a prenup and it's fine. Now if you choose to not get a prenup well you asked for it.

Why are you bringing in Islam into this? Not needed or even called for.
I just thought it was an interesting aside that's only vaguely relevant but maybe I should've picked the one about that Turkish woman who beat her husband with a shoe to get a divorce from him, that one's somewhat funny at least.

I've been to NY. Jamaica-Queens to be exact. Had some damn good pizza at hole in the hall place. This place was staffed with all Italian mobster looking dudes. I even heard a 'baba-bing" out of one of them.

Holy shit. I didn’t know those guys actually existed in real life.

Would it be possible to take all of his remaining money with him if he fled to SE Aisa? I see no point in leaving the US if he would be flat broke upon enter another country.

If I'm honest I have absolutely no idea. It would depend on a persons assets and whether they can liquidate them in a suitable way I guess.

Let's be honest here. Realistically these types of relationships the tacit agreement is basically the woman just has to look younger and prettier, in turn they get the benefits of finances from the man.

Or do we really believe that woman are marrying guys 20 years their senior due to their great personality?

You could instead marry and have a relationship with someone in your same social and economic tier. Of course you'll have to trade off in the looks and age department.

All the things a woman has of value that draws men to them depreciates as she gets older. Youthful look, fertility (by 30 a woman has lost 90% of all her eggs), minimal mental/psychological scars, gusto for life, no kids and being malleable. All these thing get progressively less as a woman proceeds to menopause.

Meanwhile, assuming a guy is not lazy and works on himself. He has higher status, money even if his looks has taken a nose dive (women only care about a combination of 3 things from men: 1. Looks (height and/or face) 2. Money 3. Social status). So why should a man therefore who is of more value later in life settle for a woman of lower value than him?

I agree with that. I feel that legal marriage as is should just be removed. Make new laws and a "civil union" contract as the replacement. The social concept of marriage can remain and people can define it however they want.

All the things a woman has of value that draws men to them depreciates as she gets older. Youthful look, fertility (by 30 a woman has lost 90% of all her eggs), minimal mental/psychological scars, gusto for life, no kids and being malleable. All these thing get progressively less as a woman proceeds to menopause.

Meanwhile, assuming a guy is not lazy and works on himself. He has higher status, money even if his looks has taken a nose dive (women only care about a combination of 3 things from men: 1. Looks (height and/or face) 2. Money 3. Social status). So why should a man therefore who is of more value later in life settle for a woman of lower value than him?

I'm not making an ethical or moral judgement here.

So if we throw that side men don't have to settle for anything and correspondingly neither do women. In both cases they're just playing the game via the rules society has setup. So complaining about "fairness" in that context is pointless.

Back