Friendly Challenge from a Co-Worker

If you've been training for 7 years you should have full confidence against a dude that's been training for under a year, sounds like maybe he hasn't even been training that long.

Treat him like he's a white belt that just rolled up into your dojo because that's exactly what he is.

TRT, HGH, EPO, CBD, creatine and Alpha Brain. Go all in!

If you've had a similar experience, I'd love to read about it. If you have more constructive advice, please share.

I had a couple of friends challenge me for a video for their YouTube channel. They were doing a fitness series and were trying all sorts of things out.

I'm a white belt in the gi, but have an extra four years of no gi grappling. We grappled no gi, 5 minute rounds. I took them on one after the other. None of them have any experience whatsoever.

There were three of them. I took on the largest first (about 100kg/220 lbs). He actually had pretty good instincts (from lots of play fighting with his brothers, apparently) and defended for a minute or two... Them I tapped him about 5 times.

The next two were only slightly heavier than me (approx 80kg/175 lbs). They both got tapped 12 times in 5 minutes.

I'm a white belt, lighter than all of them, had already trained that day, and was specifically going soft so I didn't hurt them.

The guy you're grappling is bigger, and training a little, so don't be surprised if he gives you a bit of trouble at first, but I'm almost certain you'll completely fuck him up. Especially if it's just a normal match.

If it'd just been normal matches, instead of 5 minute rounds, none of my friends would've lasted more than a few minutes. The two smaller guys both got tapped within thirty seconds.

Am I understanding correctly that you don't have to tap him out, just survive 5 minutes? That should be a piece of cake, just pull guard get an underhook and wait for him to gas out.

Beginners can throw you off sometimes because they move weird, so don't do the usual BJJ guy reactive game plan. Impose your will, and he will crumble.

Am I understanding correctly that you don't have to tap him out, just survive 5 minutes? That should be a piece of cake, just pull guard get an underhook and wait for him to gas out.

Ironically, this is in the spirit of BJJ. Helio did this shit all the time and claimed moral victory when it went to a draw.

How did this all start

Mma dude is probably training him to rip a kimura or something basic just be ready for that possibility

How did this all start

Mma dude is probably training him to rip a kimura or something basic just be ready for that possibility

If so he's probably going to do if from bottom side so just hit that spinning arm bar to really fuck up his head

Ironically, this is in the spirit of BJJ. Helio did this shit all the time and claimed moral victory when it went to a draw.
I don't think that's in the spirit of the challenge. Because this is for bragging rights, he'll come to work and tell people I train for 6 years and couldn't tap him who "never trained". He's not walking away that easy.

How did this all start

We've worked together for about 10 years and we're pretty cool. He mentioned he'd like to test himself then followed up with some friendly shit talking. I don't plan to let him on top but if it happens, I'm hunting for a Knee bar, ankle lock or heel hook. He's gonna quit.

I think you will be more than fine. Just please record it. It should be fun to watch.

You should probably be worried about catching a headbutt or an elbow, he should gas within 2 mins

I think you should be able to hold out 5 minutes, gi or no gi?

Being similar to the OP, I'm 45, 185, 5.5 years experience and purple belt, I don't see how you are concerned. As other posters said, treat him like a white belt. I commonly roll with white/blue belt 20-somethings that are 30+ pounds heavier without issue. Just handle the spazzing out, get his back, and finish.

You can definitely beat him If he doesn't have any grappling experience whatsoever. It's not impossible to tap out a guy whose 50 lbs heavier than you. In fact my boy whose a brown belt now he is Russian and Ukrainian and 40 yo, and won a tournament in the absolute division. One of the guys was the same belt as him, and 240 lbs while my boy was 180 lbs, and he tapped him out with a triangle. I wish some people would challenge me like that lol that shit seems fun, I use to have friendly rivalries in the gyms I trained at, and I just recently joined a fight gym after a year of being Inactive. And just started doing bjj again.

- Cheat the dumbass. Put something on his water; a laxative or some sleeping pill.
That will throwhis game off!

And after you beat him, you will look deep in his eyes and say:

- Im your papi!

Eddie-Guerrero-Mic.jpg

And actually 100% the right advice.
Yep. This thread brings be back to my younger days when I did the exact same thing minus the age difference.

I was about 130 lbs. and my bigger friend had at least a 100 lbs. on me. I figured my experience would make the size a non-issue since he barely knew how to move.

So I took him down and ended up in a sort of guard-like position (but he had no idea what guard was so he didn't wrap his legs like bottom guard). Figured easy-peasy, pass guard, cross-choke and I'll get bragging rights. Instead he didn't produce any actual move, but grab my forearm and wrist and pull with all his might (and not constant pressure, but jerky motions). Felt like I was being racked between his grib and his big thighs. Wasn't sure if my shoulder or elbow might pop with one of those jerks and I wasn't about to risk an injury over bragging rights. Tapped.

He got bragging rights. Spazzes can be hard to deal with. Still feels bad...

Yep. This thread brings be back to my younger days when I did the exact same thing minus the age difference.

I was about 130 lbs. and my bigger friend had at least a 100 lbs. on me. I figured my experience would make the size a non-issue since he barely knew how to move.

So I took him down and ended up in a sort of guard-like position (but he had no idea what guard was so he didn't wrap his legs like bottom guard). Figured easy-peasy, pass guard, cross-choke and I'll get bragging rights. Instead he didn't produce any actual move, but grab my forearm and wrist and pull with all his might (and not constant pressure, but jerky motions). Felt like I was being racked between his grib and his big thighs. Wasn't sure if my shoulder or elbow might pop with one of those jerks and I wasn't about to risk an injury over bragging rights. Tapped.

He got bragging rights. Spazzes can be hard to deal with. Still feels bad...

Your problem wasn’t that he was a spazzer, your main problem was that you were 130 ponds... what do you expect going vs some dude who’s 230? Bjj ain’t magic...

I don't plan to let him on top but if it happens, I'm hunting for a Knee bar, ankle lock or heel hook. He's gonna quit.

Do you think heel hooking some guy who doesn't train in a "friendly challenge" is a good idea?

Back