Friendly Challenge from a Co-Worker

Not to mess with your head or anything, but I’d advise at least some caution. Certainly, he won’t be able to match your skill, but I hope you’re at least in decent shape with decent cardio. That age difference is real. BJJ isn’t magic. Don’t get zumbad

Do you think heel hooking some guy who doesn't train in a "friendly challenge" is a good idea?
Yes. This isn't IBJJF.

Not to mess with your head or anything, but I’d advise at least some caution. Certainly, he won’t be able to match your skill, but I hope you’re at least in decent shape with decent cardio. That age difference is real. BJJ isn’t magic. Don’t get zumbad
I'm not taking anything for granted. I'm not playing the strength game with him.

And what if he doesn't tap?
DyO5Y4i.jpg

What happened TS? Did the match go down yet? Don't leave us hanging, what about a vid!?

What happened TS? Did the match go down yet? Don't leave us hanging, what about a vid!?

He had a 95% chance of winning lol. It's not impossible for the other guy to beat him though. Hell the first gym I trained at I met a blue belt who tapped out the guy who was such a liability to all the white belts that they put him in the advanced class (he was 400 lbs) and a 150 lb white belt tapped him out.

I can't envision any circumstance where a legitimate purple would lose here, even with a size and age disadvantage.

I'd be careful with heel hooks if you still want to be friends with him, chances are he spins violently in the wrong direction and that's your friendship over (along with his knee ligaments ). I'm sure you'll tap him without too much effort, purple belt is no joke , that's when the real jiu jitsu starts to happen

Your problem wasn’t that he was a spazzer, your main problem was that you were 130 ponds... what do you expect going vs some dude who’s 230? Bjj ain’t magic...

I expected to win! He's actually not the largest person I've paired off with either. But the size disadvantage always makes it a challenge!

But yeah, older me wishes I didn't do that as much. I have a re-occurring back injury from when I rolled with an olympic shot putter.

The other day I took a friendly challenge from a co-worker. On Dec 22th we're supposed meet at my gym and with 5 min on the clock, he has to Tap me out.
Here are the stats:
Me
  • Purple Belt with 6.5 year training 2-3x a week consistently. Teach Fundamentals weekly.
  • Able to get in the competition mindset.
  • 52 years old
  • 170 lbs
Him
  • Lots of spin, zumba, Crossfit type training. Good Cardio. Pretty strong. Training for this match with "a guy that does MMA"
  • 37 years old
  • 210 lbs
My coach and team mates don't give him a chance. Being so Critical of myself, I'm moderately optimistic.
My plan is to get on top and stay on top. If I'm on the bottom, I'm going to for leg attacks.

Thoughts??

In all seriousness, in my experience, there is no such thing as a "friendly challenge." If someone did that to me, I'd consider it a fight. I think he's going to come at you hard. If he loses, it was just for fun. It he wins, he'll tell everyone at work that you and your BJJ suck. And he's a badass. I could be wrong but this sounds like someone could get hurt. More than likely, you would get hurt if you take him lightly because he's going to spaz. You probably won't hurt him because you know what you're doing. Protect yourself. I'd get in the mindset of going full hard 100% at him and get mount ASAP. Don't play around.

What's the height difference?

I don't really get it.

I usually invite my workmates for a free class .

And they usually accept or decline.

I never met someone that just want a challenge match.

But then again I am a BB and own 2 clubs.

It obviously depends upon the personalities, but if you work in an industry with a lot it dick swinging (like nightclubs) its frequent.

I expected to win! He's actually not the largest person I've paired off with either. But the size disadvantage always makes it a challenge!

But yeah, older me wishes I didn't do that as much. I have a re-occurring back injury from when I rolled with an olympic shot putter.

Well, you bought too much into the mystic part of Bjj... you can overcome 100 pounds, but you have to have some critical mass to do it, at 130 pounds you do not.

It happens on Dec 22nd. Co-worker wants to "prepare". I'll be sure to post.
Why does he have to “prepare”. I thought he wanted a challenge. If he is such a bad ass he would just go to your gym tonight, meet you and you guys go at it.

Well, you bought too much into the mystic part of Bjj... you can overcome 100 pounds, but you have to have some critical mass to do it, at 130 pounds you do not.

I have to disagree here, or at least to say it's not always 100% true.

A ton of years ago I used to train with a small guy around 130 indeed, who as a purple belt I saw multiple times dismantle gigantic white belt guys with some 6 months or even one year exp. I remember in particular this behemoth who was around 300 pounds and used to beat the hell out of us other white belts. Then one evening the small purple belt rolled with him and armbarred him from guard like nothing.

Granted, he was REALLY gifted and used to train quite a lot (today he is one of the most respected black belts of my country), so he may be the exception, but to me it proved that if you have some serious timing it isn't really impossible to overcome that kind of weight and relative unexperience even at 130.

I have to disagree here, or at least to say it's not always 100% true.

A ton of years ago I used to train with a small guy around 130 indeed, who as a purple belt I saw multiple times dismantle gigantic white belt guys with some 6 months or even one year exp. I remember in particular this behemoth who was around 300 pounds and used to beat the hell out of us other white belts. Then one evening the small purple belt rolled with him and armbarred him from guard like nothing.

Granted, he was REALLY gifted and used to train quite a lot (today he is one of the most respected black belts of my country), so he may be the exception, but to me it proved that if you have some serious timing it isn't really impossible to overcome that kind of weight and relative unexperience even at 130.

It is possible, but it’s not the norm...

Whenever I've rolled like that in the past, I've always tried to do the opposite of what they were expecting me to do. To inexperienced people, it really throws them off their game. Years ago a buddy challenged me, he was not as strong or experienced, and we it was time to engage I just stood there waiting for him. Completely threw him off. He stopped, stood straight up and was totally confused.

Back