Friendly Challenge from a Co-Worker

The other day I took a friendly challenge from a co-worker. On Dec 22th we're supposed meet at my gym and with 5 min on the clock, he has to Tap me out.
Here are the stats:
Me
  • Purple Belt with 6.5 year training 2-3x a week consistently. Teach Fundamentals weekly.
  • Able to get in the competition mindset.
  • 52 years old
  • 170 lbs
Him
  • Lots of spin, zumba, Crossfit type training. Good Cardio. Pretty strong. Training for this match with "a guy that does MMA"
  • 37 years old
  • 210 lbs
My coach and team mates don't give him a chance. Being so Critical of myself, I'm moderately optimistic.
My plan is to get on top and stay on top. If I'm on the bottom, I'm going to for leg attacks.

Thoughts??

Remind us why it's not happening until Dec 22nd?

That's it? He has to tap you? LOL. That's an easy bet to win.

I picture two guys working a montage video with a soundtrack of eye of the tiger playing in the background.

If you even have to ask this question you should be demoted to blue.

If you get tapped by that guy youre officially a senior citizen and need to stop taking challenges like this.

I have had a handful “challenge” matches over almost 10yrs of training. I’ve trained since late high school - thru college which might be why. Always from guys who are bigger& stronger than myself. Here’s my advice from experience:

- protect yourself; they spaz and do dumb/unexpected things that can get you hurt. In 2 of the matches I got the guys in triangles and they both tried to slam me. Wear a mouthpiece or keep your mouth closed tight. I tried to play “relaxed” one time and got elbowed in the jaw hard. Was Swollen for about a week. Sucked.

- focus on your fundamentals. Almost every time i have used the most basic techniques (triangle or kimura from guard, rnc, guillotine, Armbar from mount). I’ve really only chained 1 or 2 attacks because they don’t know how to defend and the first or second attack gets it done. Nothing fancy required.

- don’t let him get a hold of your head / neck. If he’s untrained, this will be his ONLY chance of stumbling into tapping you out. If he’s full strength a powerful face crush/neck crank can really suck.

- if possible, lock up a choke. If they refuse to tap, they go out rather than get a broken limb.

- a mental tip would be to smile or be a little goofy when it comes time to roll. Guys like this are usually super adrenalined up and intense about the match. If you seem super chill/relaxed it can confuse them and even make them nervous I’ve found.

- prepare to rematch if it’s quick. Happens sometimes they think it was a “fluke” and want to go again.

I don’t know you @KikoJones but my prediction is you will be surprised with how easy it is for you to handle yourself against someone who is truly untrained. Good luck and hope to see a vid!

Last edited:
The other day I took a friendly challenge from a co-worker. On Dec 22th we're supposed meet at my gym and with 5 min on the clock, he has to Tap me out.
Here are the stats:
Me
  • Purple Belt with 6.5 year training 2-3x a week consistently. Teach Fundamentals weekly.
  • Able to get in the competition mindset.
  • 52 years old
  • 170 lbs
Him
  • Lots of spin, zumba, Crossfit type training. Good Cardio. Pretty strong. Training for this match with "a guy that does MMA"
  • 37 years old
  • 210 lbs
My coach and team mates don't give him a chance. Being so Critical of myself, I'm moderately optimistic.
My plan is to get on top and stay on top. If I'm on the bottom, I'm going to for leg attacks.

Thoughts??

You should beat him. That's not a huge size advantage considering he has no training (I hope?)

I use to do these challenges back in the day a lot when I was high school and started training. Good times. Makes it fun. Really though you should be fine. I think you forget most people can't fight. When I was in highshcool I use to challenge my buddies who were 300 lbs and I was 200 lbs back then. It then became 2 on 1...then eventually 3 on 1...

I still think as a rookie white belt being at a disadvantage both numbers and size I still won. (straight grappling). But then again now and again you come across a d1 wrestler beast who will give anyone fits on the mat. Hopefully that isn't this guy.

Back