Friendly Challenge from a Co-Worker

No gi, you may have to work for it a bit, but I think it's safe to assume you'll catch him in something, specially if the match involves leg locks. People who don't train leg locks have no idea at all wtf is going on, and they panic tap as soon as you semi snatch something. Or they spazz out and have to have reconstructive knee surgery. Either way, you win

In the gi, that's just easy strangulation money there. Get some grips, take him into the mud, strangle

I'm kind of surprised by some of the responses in this thread. Athletic guys who are 20 years younger and bigger than me come into the gym all the time, or crossover from mma classes.

This is just a regular thing, going against a younger guy who has speed and size and less training. And it always goes the same way. Submission grappling, bjj, wrestling, sambo, judo, etc. The systems work, and if you train them regularly, you have a very clear advantage, and it shows almost immediately

I'm kind of surprised by some of the responses in this thread. Athletic guys who are 20 years younger and bigger than me come into the gym all the time, or crossover from mma classes.

This is just a regular thing, going against a younger guy who has speed and size and less training. And it always goes the same way. Submission grappling, bjj, wrestling, sambo, judo, etc. The systems work, and if you train them regularly, you have a very clear advantage, and it shows almost immediately
I'll second this. We have young athletic guys come through the door all the time and without training, a blue belt will murk them pretty easily. I have buddies that are big and athletic and have team sports experience. They always think it's funny to jump me when we drink. They always get choked.

I used to give private bjj lessons to a krav maga instructor. Even he was a fish out of water on the ground. A striped white belt would beat him when we started together.

If the ruleset for this challenge is grappling and no striking, you will win easily.

Snatch down to guillotine, that is money against none trained oponnents

I am only a blue belt but have to agree with most on this thread. I have a hard time imagining a legit purple belt losing to someone completely untrained. Even at 52 years old you are still way, way , way tougher than most people on this earth when a fight hits the ground. If there was punching involved I wouldnt be so confident, but pure grappling? I've grappled with plenty of older purples and browns and they were all tough as ****.

Snatch down to guillotine, that is money against none trained oponnents

When I start standing rather than go for td a lot of times I spam guillotines. I think it's a good strategy

When I start standing rather than go for td a lot of times I spam guillotines. I think it's a good strategy

well, my takedowns suck, so snatch down to guillotines or whatever once I have a headlock is my go to move, try no to get taken down and fish for an opportunity.

my knees say thank.

well, my takedowns suck, so snatch down to guillotines or whatever once I have a headlock is my go to move, try no to get taken down and fish for an opportunity.

my knees say thank.
My takedowns are pretty good in the bjj world but there is nothing better than catching an 18 year old kid who just finished wrestling season or a 20 year old who wrestled in high school switching to bjj with a guillotine. I always get the same response.....Damn i forgot you were allowed to do that......

my knees say thank.

Haha it's hilarious. You're a bb and a coach right? I'm a purple belt and my takedowns are stull meh.

Hope you aren't the kind of guy who refusesto really engage and just tries to get you to shoot from far away and counter with a choke.

Last edited:
Get on top, stay on top. Alternatively, pull closed guard and protect yourself from the flailing

It’s getting close. You in shape and ready to go? Has your opponent actually been training that you know of? Any signs of weakness from him so far?

Is this bullshit still on?
Nice

It’s getting close. You in shape and ready to go? Has your opponent actually been training that you know of? Any signs of weakness from him so far?
Its funny you asked. I went to lunch with him this afternoon and he was trying to come up with an excuse to cancel because "he's out of shape". I told him its just a test, to baseline himself but he was still tepid.
Once we got back to the office and I brought up the fact he was trying to back out in front of our colleagues. They razzed him and he finally committed to Dec 22nd at 1:30pm at my gym. Setting up the GoPro
I haven't changed my training. I'm feeling good...for a 53 year old. :)
Rules are:
NoGi (shorts & compression shirt)
5 min on the clock
He has to tap me once in 5 min
I can tap him as many time as I can in 5 min
No Strikes/Kicks
No small joint manipulations
No slams
Start from Standing

Nice

Its funny you asked. I went to lunch with him this afternoon and he was trying to come up with an excuse to cancel because "he's out of shape". I told him its just a test, to baseline himself but he was still tepid.
Once we got back to the office and I brought up the fact he was trying to back out in front of our colleagues. They razzed him and he finally committed to Dec 22nd at 1:30pm at my gym. Setting up the GoPro
Rules are:
5 min on the clock
No Strikes/Kicks
No slams
Start from Standing
Right on man, he is gonna go bug fookin nuts the first minute or so, i say let him tire out, play defense for a minute or two then go for the kill.

Just spend the next 13 days practicing the flying scissor takedown.

Nice

Rules are:
5 min on the clock
No Strikes/Kicks
No slams
Start from Standing
Lol. You know he is going to come at you with the strength and craziness of one-thousand spazzes.

1. ride out the initial storm.
2. Unleash hell

I say tap him a couple of times but I would recommend tight intense pressure. Shoulder of justice and a compressing high mount. Just treat him like Vagner Rocha treats his opponents. Cover his mouth, elbows to the throat and cheek. You know mean Jiu Jitsu like we used to do in the early 00’s. Don’t just beat him, destroy his soul.

Edit: Do not let him quit due to “cardio”. Fuck that keep riding that shit until he pukes.

Last edited:
My thoughts are you seem over stresed about a match that doesn't really mean much

My thoughts are you seem over stresed about a match that doesn't really mean much
I don't want to lose but I'm absolutely not stressed in the least. I'm looking forward to this friendly challenge. We're going to go in, have a good time wresting around and sharing something I've devoted a better part of 6.5 years with a friend. Hopefully he'll think its also cool and start his own journey.
I started this thread to share an experience with people that also share an interest in BJJ.

Back