Frodo's Grappling Log

9-6-2007

Began with Judo Class. We did:
Finished with a little shiai.

Continued the day with the Panther Grappling Club. We worked on:

Finished with some rolling.

Finally went to Team Balance at SHJ. We began practice with some drilling before working on passing half guard. Finally we did some Shark Bate rolling.

9-7-2007

Gi day at the Panther Grappling Club (BJJ). Open Mat since only 5 people came. I worked on some advice from NHB Gear on overhook problems from guard. They suggested that I try a butterfly guard sweep by Felipe Costa, who is only 120 pounds.

I tried it against a few kinds of people in gi and nogi and while rolling too. I find it works a lot better from Bobby Palumbi's butterfly guard - where you sort of trap his near leg with your hooks rather than from with both hooks inside (how he shows). I find I have better control. Also, it doesn't work well against one guy who is 50 pounds heavier and is about 6-8" taller than me, but it does seem to work well against guys a little shorter (but still just as heavy) or guys my own weight. I got it a few times from the arm drag as an alternative to taking the back too (and once as a takedown :rolleyes: - but we were just playing then 8) ).

Against the taller bigger guy, he would post his legs far where I couldn't control them easily. I ended up being pinned from my own guard and had to switch to half guard to sweep him. Arg! I just want to not be pinned like that. It really stuffs a lot of my options.

Ended up rolling with everyone and even did some sparring with punches with PFC John.

keep going...still got one month to do

Thanks Scott! I've been using your log among a few others to help fill in my gaps. HAHA Good job man.

You'll have a hard time doing that post september (as in no practice so nothing logged)

I'll try to go to SHJ on wed, no promises though. I still can't believe I thought I'd have more time to train in grad school. What was I thinking!

Next time you're at team balance, see if you can say hello to my old training partner Barry, he used to train at GB up here. Should be a 3/4 stripe white or a bluebelt. Tall guy with glasses.

Tell him Kabir said hi.

9-12-2007

Went to Personal Training Tactics. Don, Jeremy Bennett, Cris Custer, and three others were there too.

Went to Team Balance Pittsburgh:

9-13-2007

At Judo class, we the following for nagewaza:
And for newaza:
  • Kesa gatame (scarf hold).
  • Kuzure yoko shiho gatame (side control).
We also practiced its escapes too.

At grappling club, we did:
After that sequence, we drilled some escapes:
Finally finished with some rolling.

Went to SHJ, we did:
Then we did shark bate with 20 second rounds. Finally just rolled for a few rounds of 5 min.

9-14-2007

Went to the the Panther Grappling Club for gi day. Brandon's log also recorded this practice. We reviewed basic guard breaking:
Directed rolling, but I decided not to roll because I felt a little sore. Jon dislocated Mike's arm. Ouch! It was so freaky (dislocating up into the air, going back in slowly when he brought it downward. That kinda stopped practice for most of us.

9-15-2007

Yesterday I attended a seminar taught by Phil Migliarese (thread 1, thread 2, thread 3, thread 4). We had about 15 other people including Balto and Eugene Kim (one of my judo instructors) show up. I was happy both of them were there. Before the seminar, Balto helped me with the not-pendulum sweep. Then Phil showed us a great seminar.

Then I had to roll with just about everyone for an hour straight. It was very tiring!!! I went with judo Phil (another of my judo instructors), Eugene, and BJJ Phil first. Then BJJ Phil again (he went a lot harder that time) and a lot of other people. Bobby attacked me LOL. I rolled with Balto at the end, but all I could do was defend. He definitely improved and I had to keep on my toes.

I didn't know I was being promoted today until I saw Balto at the beginning of the seminar. He told me he would come to my promotion whenever that was, but Bobby (my BJJ instructor) told me the promotion day would be a surprise. Well, it was a surprise to me! Now I have to return the favor. Phil didn't have me run the gauntlet, but I don't need to do that.

Phil asked me to say a speech, but I didn't know what to say. Now that I think about it, I can't give enough praise to my instructors and training partners. You guys push me very hard and I have to improve my game so you guys don't pass me up! I'm very lucky to be training with a group of people with dedication, heart, and a great attitude. You guys on the forum have helped me a lot too! Thanks very much to Phil for a great seminar and to Bobby and everyone for all your help. I just know there's still a lot that I have to learn, but I'm more confident of reaching my goals now. We went to eat afterward and I heard some interesting stories from Phil. Can't repeat them... Amazing day.

Me and Phil Migliarese

:cool:

9-16-2007

Went to the Panther Grappling Club. Just reviewed some of the technical mount stuff that Phil went over yesterday. Rolled with some of the judo club guys then did some TKD too while they were there for some cardio.

you're the man jimmy!

you should skip these old entries and start doing the current ones! see you tonight at trees. how did you guys do at the tournament?

2016-03-09

Did wrestling practice. After warm-ups we covered:
  • Low single
  • To Iranian or the backdoor
  • To sit-out and shelf the leg
Wrestled a lot of rounds. Remember to bridge immediately after landing the lateral to remain on top. Finished the round even though shoulder and ankle hurt. Feeling worn out so took gi off today. Tomorrow is another day, as my dad used to say.

Back