From White To Blue: What I Look For In Promotion

These are the exact same principles involved in chess which I'm learning right now. I'm an amateur, but like 5 times better than I was a month ago. Same basic moves, just with better anticipation and recognition, through repetition and practise. Also, I want to start jiu Jitsu this month once vacation starts. Great article!

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but these two things seem contradictory:

"He is 5’4” and 130 pounds..."

"If a big, strong guy who weighed 250 pounds came to train, I would expect him to be able to deflect the weight, power and aggression and keep himself safe. He might not be able to win, but neither should he lose."

I honestly think a 250 pound noob off the street could dominate a 5'4 130 pound blue belt. If you told the noob, "I want you to fuck him up as hard as you can" then I think the 250 pounder could easily smash the hell out of a 5'4 130 pound blue belt in a minute. Even if the 250 pounder is out of shape and gasses. Isn't it the Gracies themselves that say every 40 pounds equals a belt level? So essentially it's a 130 pound blue belt versus a 250 pound purple/brown belt?

Quite honestly, I think this is where BJJ breaks down. In practice, you take two people within 20 pounds of each other the higher belt is going to win. But once you put a smaller guy versus a bigger guy on the street with punches then I think a lot of the smaller person's tactics and techniques break down.

Disclaimer: Nothing against the thread starter. Just a comment. Good article. Please don't omoplata me.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but these two things seem contradictory:

"If a big, strong guy who weighed 250 pounds came to train, I would expect him to be able to deflect the weight, power and aggression and keep himself safe. He might not be able to win, but neither should he lose."

I honestly think a 250 pound noob off the street could dominate a 5'4 130 pound blue belt. If you told the noob, "I want you to fuck him up as hard as you can" then I think the 250 pounder could easily smash the hell out of a 5'4 130 pound blue belt in a minute. Even if the 250 pounder is out of shape and gasses. Isn't it the Gracies themselves that say every 40 pounds equals a belt level? So essentially it's a 130 pound blue belt versus a 250 pound purple/brown belt?

Quite honestly, I think this is where BJJ breaks down. In practice, you take two people within 20 pounds of each other the higher belt is going to win. But once you put a smaller guy versus a bigger guy on the street with punches then I think a lot of the smaller person's tactics and techniques break down.

Disclaimer: Nothing against the thread starter. Just a comment. Good article. Please don't omoplata me.

When I started training into my second month, I rolled with a higher blue female who I outweigh by 20 lbs. She tried her best to submit me using Americana but she failed, I am stronger, imagine if punches were involved...?

If the 250 pounder is a noob with no training of any kind I doubt that he'll smash that blue belt. You don't realize how easy it is to submit people with no grappling experience.

I could see the smaller blue get a rnc, guillotine, even a heel hook during transition.

The Gracies with that 40lb comment was referring to people with grappling experience and age difference. A 30 yr-old purple could give a 55 yr-old black belt a hard time.

No. A trained Blue belt should not be dominated against an untrained noob unless he makes a mistake that puts him in a bad position. Untrained noobs do stupid shit that seem intuitive to them but gets them in trouble. Additionally, they gas quickly which negates a lot of their strength.

When I started training into my second month, I rolled with a higher blue female who I outweigh by 20 lbs. She tried her best to submit me using Americana but she failed, I am stronger, imagine if punches were involved...?

Americana escapes are way easier if you have a strenght advantage. You just don't let your arm being bent and you ''punch'' out of the grip.

But a gentlemen would do a technical escape against a lady.

Just so you know, I see your point that it's not because you're a blue belt that you are invincible in a street fight against a bigger guy.

americana are the easiest to defend, and the blue chick wasnt very good either if she was trying to americana a male.

Sorry, I still think a 250 pound noob would smash a 5'4 130 pound blue belt in under 60 seconds if he was told to go 100% and it's a fight to see who wins.

Sorry, I still think a 250 pound noob would smash a 5'4 130 pound blue belt in under 60 seconds if he was told to go 100% and it's a fight to see who wins.

We have a 5'4 blue belt at our gym and he pretty much chokes every white belt. We don't have a 250 pound nfl linebacker at our gym but he's very competitive with people from 20 to 70 lbs bigger than him.

He's very good at taking the back and it's very tough to shake him out of it.

Hey guys, thanks for reading. Please note that I'm talking about training in the gym. I never mentioned street fight. And I never mentioned a death roll where some giant would pick him up and throw him out the door. This was my gauge for how he was progressing in training.

In a 100% street fight that 130 lb dude can pull out a gun so youre argument is void.

Back