Front squats w/out belt- best compound exercise for grappling?

sakfjgadsyukgf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As the title suggests. I already low bar squat and deadlift, of course, but my main focus is lifting to enhance my BJJ & wrestling (and maybe judo in the future). Not interested in lifting just for the sake of lifting.

I find doing deep front squats without a belt is extremely challenging for my core (my FS also falls on my heavy deadlift day, so maybe my abs are already pretty fatigued from that). With a belt it's a mix of quads, core, and hip flexors- without a belt my point of failure is just my core. I find that kind of core strength is what translates better than anything else into wrestling exchanges and just powering out of bottom positions....

Not suggesting replacing back squats with front squats or anything (they're just on separate days), but was curious if anyone else is really into FS- especially grapplers. (No I can't overhead squat because of shoulder issues). Have also been thinking about doing suitcase deadlifts for obliques.

Basically- core strength goals

front squats with a black belch is better

Ehh I think you can replace back squat with fs if your goal is to improve your grappling. I've thought about doing it for my team but I've got a group of psychos who love to squat so I keep it in. It's much more applicable for wrestling

Wow impressive video of Black Beast. Crazy how he can get up like that. Don't see the connection to the front squat in those sequences though, my immediate thought was more like a heavy turkish get up would simulate most of what he's doing.

In regards to back vs front squat, it would make sense that front squats transfer better. The weight is infront of you with an upright posture which is the same when going for most takedowns. Both have their uses though, but front squat is definitely more sport specific. Same would apply to zerchers.

Wow impressive video of Black Beast. Crazy how he can get up like that. Don't see the connection to the front squat in those sequences though, my immediate thought was more like a heavy turkish get up would simulate most of what he's doing.

In regards to back vs front squat, it would make sense that front squats transfer better. The weight is infront of you with an upright posture which is the same when going for most takedowns. Both have their uses though, but front squat is definitely more sport specific. Same would apply to zerchers.

Yeah, definitely agree with you on the Turkish getup, that's another one of my core exercises. Zerchers seems frigging crazy to me lol. After all the stories I've always heard about guys deadlifting and tearing their biceps because they don't grip straight on..... I don't see how having hundreds of pounds in the crook of your arm doesn't tear something. Just looks super dicey, I dunno

Yeah, definitely agree with you on the Turkish getup, that's another one of my core exercises. Zerchers seems frigging crazy to me lol. After all the stories I've always heard about guys deadlifting and tearing their biceps because they don't grip straight on..... I don't see how having hundreds of pounds in the crook of your arm doesn't tear something. Just looks super dicey, I dunno
Yeah I don't like doing Zerchers either. It fucks my forearms up, last time I did them I temporarily damaged my radial nerve and had tingling and numbness on my forearm/hand for a week after.

Yeah I don't like doing Zerchers either. It fucks my forearms up, last time I did them I temporarily damaged my radial nerve and had tingling and numbness on my forearm/hand for a week after.

It both has incredible transfer and is incredibly annoying. Zercher deads are probably the best barbell assistance lift for picking people up (and for getting good at Atlas stones without an Atlas stone)

I don't think either of them have to Highlander the other one for importance. If your goal isn't a lifting meet, then it doesn't really matter that much, no?

Do one heavy, and do the other as supplmentation - then switch it. After a year, see how you liked the change.

i would switch them up and after the regular weights, try to incorporate heavy sandbag shouldering and sandbag tgu in an timed/edt style for wrestling specific strength. why chose one, both are great.

Don't overthink it. Pick a squat variation, lift heavy, get stronger.

Over back squats? Sure, although I feel deadlift has the most carryover to the uppa mount escape. What with the grip/upper back strength from deads helping capture the arm before the bridge.

Ehh I think you can replace back squat with fs if your goal is to improve your grappling. I've thought about doing it for my team but I've got a group of psychos who love to squat so I keep it in. It's much more applicable for wrestling

You think the core strength from a front squat is better than the leg/hip strength from a back squat? For wrestling? You're a wrestling coach IIRC so I'm definitely open to hearing your opinion (I'm an adult hobbyist who wrestles recreationally and would really like to get better- honestly, my BJJ is good enough for now and improving my wrestling is my main goal)

You think the core strength from a front squat is better than the leg/hip strength from a back squat? For wrestling? You're a wrestling coach IIRC so I'm definitely open to hearing your opinion (I'm an adult hobbyist who wrestles recreationally and would really like to get better- honestly, my BJJ is good enough for now and improving my wrestling is my main goal)

I'll give you my 2 cents. When I first started, I could not back squat as I didn't have a proper rack. I just front squatted and got proficient with the lift. After I got that rack, I back squatted and front squatted. My front squat to back squat ratio always seemed pretty high, so I decided to work on back squats only. The only time I front squatted was to max out after having improvements in back squat 1 RM. Guess what? I had some of my best gains in front squat without actually front squatting.

Due to this, I think back squat is far superior. As long as you know how to front squat, it should go up with increases in back squat. You don't see the same with increasing front squat increasing your back squat.

I'll give you my 2 cents. When I first started, I could not back squat as I didn't have a proper rack. I just front squatted and got proficient with the lift. After I got that rack, I back squatted and front squatted. My front squat to back squat ratio always seemed pretty high, so I decided to work on back squats only. The only time I front squatted was to max out after having improvements in back squat 1 RM. Guess what? I had some of my best gains in front squat without actually front squatting.

Due to this, I think back squat is far superior. As long as you know how to front squat, it should go up with increases in back squat. You don't see the same with increasing front squat increasing your back squat.

In fact it has a better carryover to the DL, I find.

In my experience, when I used the front squat as the main squatting movement my DL improved and my back squat suffered.

Try Kettlebell front-squat, with 2 Kettlebells in front.
This movement will reinforce correct squatting pattern and trunk stability

I think you might find that it's not your core. It's worth getting some input on it from a pro.

FWIW a weakness in the upper back has a lot to do with lack of stability squatting. It's a regularly under worked area.

Loaded carries have helped me tremendously. Trap bar Farmer walk specifically.

Back