Fugged up sentencing in MN for hanging a toddler

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I feel like we need a mega thread for all the royally fucked up judges' sentencings. We got people serving years in prison for drug possession (not selling) charges, people getting time for not paying parking tickets (stupid to do, but come on), and yet a day care provider who puts a noose around a toddler's neck and leaves him hanging in her basement to die gets fucking probation. Please somebody get the tiki torches out for this one

http://time.com/5340526/minneapolis-day-care-hang-toddler/

http://www.startribune.com/minneapo...toddler-from-noose-to-be-sentenced/488290231/

Nataliia Karia, 43, received her punishment in Hennepin County court after pleading guilty to attempted murder and third-degree assault earlier. She also pleaded guilty to criminal vehicular operation for hitting a pedestrian, a bicyclist and another driver as she fled from her home in a minivan in November 2016.

According to the criminal complaint, a father was dropping off his son at Karia’s home when Karia led him toward the basement, where he saw the toddler hanging from a noose. He released the child and fled with him. The 16-month-old boy survived.

Sabir said he heard a baby crying in the basement and ran downstairs to find the child hanging from a noose made of girls’ tights tied to an overhead pipe.

Judge Jay Quam agreed with the assessment by doctors that Karia was “a low risk” to reoffend. He called her actions “the perfect storm of factors unlikely to ever be repeated.”

After a two-hour hearing, Karia received a 10-year probationary sentence, with credit for the 20 months in jail. She also must follow court-ordered mental health treatment and electronic home monitoring for at least two months.

Karia, who fought back tears and low sobs throughout the hearing, read a statement in Russian spelling out in great detail the abuses she alleges her husband inflicted upon her and her children since they arrived to the United States from Ukraine in 2006. She said he hit and threatened to kill her, drove the family into financial ruin, forced her to work despite her psychological struggles and prevented her from getting medical attention.

“I don’t want to push this terrible crime onto my husband. I just want to explain what happened,” she said, her words interpreted to English. “Your Honor, my children need me … Give me a chance to resume a normal life.”

Upon learning she was pregnant with another daughter, she told the court, her husband punched her in the stomach for not giving him a son.

She was abused. That sucks. Social Services fucked up by allowing a day care to be operated in that home in the first place. But, even when your life is shit, you put a noose around a toddler's neck and hang a year and a half old, you are not a safe person to have out and about in society just because you have a sob story of a past.

Apparently it was something of a psychotic episode from a person with no other criminal history and who exhibits no other criminal tendencies, and the action did not produce a tangible harm (to the child). And she's still never going to see her minor children again, until they mature.

Doesn't seem like an overly questionable sentence to me tbh. I assume, as should everyone, that the judge knows a heck of a lot more about the facts than we do.

A friend of mine was killed by a hit and run drunk driver. The driver fled and hid in her garage. She only got like 3 years, because she claimed she was from a war torn country in east Europe and had ptsd.

I don't buy it. I think she was just like any other drunk driver, in a luxury SUV, being entitled.

Luckily, there was a second trial and they added 3 more years for another charge.

Last edited:
Apparently it was something of a psychotic episode from a person with no other criminal history and who exhibits no other criminal tendencies, and the action did not produce a tangible harm (to the child). And she's still never going to see her minor children again, until they mature.

Doesn't seem like an overly questionable sentence to me tbh. I assume, as should everyone, that the judge knows a heck of a lot more about the facts than we do.

She hung a fucking toddler, and all you got is excuses for this bitch's laughable sentence. Yet you'll get outraged beyond belief at some gangbanger getting shot by police.

You're a joke.

Huell-Babineaux-Sad-To-OMG-Eyes-Open-Reaction-Gif.gif

I never understand things like this. I mean if I were the parent of a toddler this bitch hung, there wouldn't be a sentence. The bitch would be hanging in my closet, or much much worse.

A man would have done time for that no question.

Trotsky/Jack be trolling this forum up really good.

Yeah so... this woman shouldn't see daylight from the pen for at least 20 years afaik but w/e. It's MInnesota, I got family from there, they are a weird kind of fucked up progressive haven. They are like way less freaky versions of LA/Hollyweirdos. They wannabe like them, but they are very basic people, who just happen to be batshit insane for the left... emphasis on batshit.

New rule should be that a judge can't release someone like this unless they agree to have her babysitting their kids/grandkids/nieces/nephews.

A friend of mine was killed by a hit and run drunk driver. The driver fled and hid in her garage. She only got like 3 years, because she claimed she was from a war torn country in east Europe and had ptsd.

I don't buy it. I think she was just like any other drunk driver, in a luxury SUV, being entitled.

Luckily, there was a second trial and they added 3 more years for another charge.

Maybe the PTSD was actually a mild case of affluenza. Wtf was the second charge, that she got the same amount of time that she got for killing a person?

Imagine the attention this story would be given by the right if instead of an immigrant from Ukraine the baby hanger was from Mexico. But I guess demonizing Ukrainians isn't considered a beneficial electoral strategy.

The sentence seems outrageous on its face. Beyond outrageous.

This is definitely someone that needs time away from society. Another shining example of failed mental health care in America, imo. Im sure she feels very sorry for trying to murder the child. If she had actually killed the child how would the judge feel then?

"Karia, who fought back tears and low sobs throughout the hearing, read a statement in Russian spelling out in great detail the abuses she alleges her husband inflicted upon her and her children since they arrived to the United States from Ukraine in 2006."

It is always the man's fault. :rolleyes: Blaming men is a get out of jail free card for females.

Maybe the PTSD was actually a mild case of affluenza. Wtf was the second charge, that she got the same amount of time that she got for killing a person?

She was charged with several crimes. She was convicted of negligent homicide and fleeing a scene while drunk driving (got 3 years), but the jury couldn't decide on the involuntary manslaughter charge.

A second trial was held, and the second jury convicted her of the involuntary manslaughter charge, adding another 3 years.

Apparently it was something of a psychotic episode

Then she should at a minimum be committed to a state run mental institution for life.

This person, psychotic episode or not, poses a clear danger to the rest of society.

It’s always someone else’s fault, except the perpetrator, amirite!?

In this case the judge thought her mental episode was enough not to put her in jail, so she is now pretty much free to walk around. If she had a true mental break down to where she thought hanging a toddler was socially acceptable, then she needss to be treated in a mental facility. If she knew not to hang a toddler and did anyways then she needs to be in prison.

I don't expect a shit troll like yourself to not troll though, so carry on.

Judge Jay Quam agreed with the assessment by doctors that Karia was “a low risk” to reoffend. He called her actions “the perfect storm of factors unlikely to ever be repeated.”
<JagsKiddingMe>

Then she should at a minimum be committed to a state run mental institution for life.

Life imprisonment for battery, or at most attempted murder, would run afoul of the Eighth Amendment. Especially where there was no premeditation....or mens rea at all, as was the case here.

This person, psychotic episode or not, poses a clear danger to the rest of society.

The judge concluded otherwise. Like I said, I put a lot of value into judicial determinations in sentencing, and there is no factual basis to believe this was made on a spurious basis or under some insidious influence. The idea that any mentally ill person who has a single psychotic episode should be locked up with the key thrown away is reductive and dangerous.

Also, under this line of thinking, Quinton Jackson would be serving a life term in the bin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back