Full Contact Karate

Maybe some budo philosophy not to "kill" each other even though it's full contact. It sure looked like WKF on repeat. At most a continus version of it.

shit man after watching this........super lame! I am much more a fan of kyokushin rules. This fight was ugly/sloppy....it just looked like some ugly ass mma in karate pants with a limited time on the ground, and no BJJ.

I would like to see:

- throws allowed, but no wrestling style stuff
- knees and elbows allowed
- no ground fighting/gnp

Maybe not surprising that after 40 years, the best ruleset for kickfighting is the spectrum between K1 style kickboxing and FTR.

First competition videos have dropped

I personally would prefer to see clinches allowed with knees. Low kicks seem to be allowed but these guys are not used to them.

This looked quite lame to me. I seriously doubt that this would catch on in today's world of combat sports. I hate to sound like that guy but, these guys want to be acknowledged as participating in a full contact sport but this isn't a full contact sport all. Why don't they just compete in Kudo/Daido Juku, Shidokan, Glory Kickboxing, K-1, Zendokai Karate (Kudo offshoot based in Japan), knockdown Karate or true mma? I don't think this is going to last long. It reminds me too much of Pro Karate Fight in France which I think is meh.

EDIT: I couldn't watch that fight to the end. It's basically WKF point sparring with gloves and sloppy TDs. I'm not a huge fan of Japan Pro-Karatedo but I'd rather watch that before watching this stuff.

Last edited:
This looked quite lame to me. I seriously doubt that this would catch on in today's world of combat sports. I hate to sound like that guy but, these guys want to be acknowledged as participating in a full contact sport but this isn't a full contact sport all. Why don't they just compete in Kudo/Daido Juku, Shidokan, Glory Kickboxing, K-1, Zendokai Karate (Kudo offshoot based in Japan), knockdown Karate or true mma? I don't think this is going to last long. It reminds me too much of Pro Karate Fight in France which I think is meh.

Did you expect anything else? This is all they know.

EDIT: I couldn't watch that fight to the end. It's basically WKF point sparring with gloves and sloppy TDs. I'm not a huge fan of Japan Pro-Karatedo but I'd rather watch that before watching this stuff.

You need to remind yourself that those 2 fighters are point-scoring karateka's and that's what made the fight quite uneventful. Had you watched those 2 fight under MMA rules you would have had pretty much the same kind of uneventful fight.

We need to see at least a couple more fights before being able to make a more informed judgement.

Also, I don't see what was wrong with Pro Fight Karate. They had good rules, good events, good fighters and solid fights.

You need to remind yourself that those 2 fighters are point-scoring karateka's and that's what made the fight quite uneventful. Had you watched those 2 fight under MMA rules you would have had pretty much the same kind of uneventful fight.

We need to see at least a couple more fights before being able to make a more informed judgement.

Also, I don't see what was wrong with Pro Fight Karate. They had good rules, good events, good fighters and solid fights.

Maybe I'm spoiled from watching more "hardcore" combat sports and expected too much from this one (probably because of the name). I think your observations are spot on and I unfairly looked at it with preconceived bias. I was familiar with Chaos Mad Max and Japan Pro-Karatedo before ever coming across Pro Fight Karate out of France so I'm sure I was viewing it with the same pair of bias blinders.

Just saw Bas Rutten became the new league ambassador for Karate Combat which is a new organization focusing on full contact karate. what do you guys think of this?

Mission statement: "Elevating and promoting the sport of karate world wide."
https://karate.com/
Looks DOPE! :D And the music is sooo 80s! :D

And Bas is one of my favorite fighters ever, I'm so happy to hear that he's still promoting Karate! And they got CHUCK LIDDELL too?!?!

OMG, this is like my wet dream, somebody pinch me! :D

Looks DOPE! :D And the music is sooo 80s! :D

And Bas is one of my favorite fighters ever, I'm so happy to hear that he's still promoting Karate! And they got CHUCK LIDDELL too?!?!

OMG, this is like my wet dream, somebody pinch me! :D

am i the only one that didnt like the camera angles, cut aways, and camera tricks?

could you imagine if you were watching "the big boxing match" and they were doing that shit? one second your in the crowd with a guys head slightly blocking your view, one second the camera angle is "normal" one second theres a quick cutaway of the guy shaking his head. Appearently, according to that brain games show, alot of ppl dont even notice this type of thing. oh yeah also forgot to point out the dramatic music "sound effects" they make when a guy punches or whatever, just like when there is a dangerous/exciting part in a movie. This thing is a huge let down friggin joke. and for me Mr MT that actually likes karate dont like it, the rest of the world, aka MMA just bleed dudes, are not going to like it at all. I predict this thing crashing and burning and disappearing into the bermuda triangle. I was expecting it to be similar to watching a boxing/MT/Kyokushin/tkd fight. not some movie bullshit.

if your not noticing it, check it out

same dude fighting, with normal camera angles etc.

@j123

but are you with me on this camera angle bullshit. im watching a fight not a movie.

Last edited:
am i the only one that didnt like the camera angles, cut aways, and camera tricks?

could you imagine if you were watching "the big boxing match" and they were doing that shit? one second your in the crowd with a guys head slightly blocking your view, one second the camera angle is "normal" one second theres a quick cutaway of the guy shaking his head. Appearently, according to that brain games show, alot of ppl dont even notice this type of thing. oh yeah also forgot to point out the dramatic music "sound effects" they make when a guy punches or whatever, just like when there is a dangerous/exciting part in a movie. This thing is a huge let down friggin joke. and for me Mr MT that actually likes karate dont like it, the rest of the world, aka MMA just bleed dudes, are not going to like it at all. I predict this thing crashing and burning and disappearing into the bermuda triangle. I was expecting it to be similar to watching a boxing/MT/Kyokushin/tkd fight. not some movie bullshit.

@j123

but are you with me on this camera angle bullshit. im watching a fight not a movie.

I agree with the angles being too much. I was 5 min in until i tealized it wasent a trailer but the fight. In listening to the new JRE with Bas and supposedly theyre gonna add knees. Bas said there is no long hooks though...?? The rules are odd AF but theyre trying to keep it "as close to karate as possible." For some reason.

Id rather watch a good mt fight anyday

Edit: forgot about takedowns with only 5 seconds ground and pound from standing position

Last edited:
I agree with the angles being too much. I was 5 min in until i tealized it wasent a trailer but the fight. In listening to the new JRE with Bas and supposedly theyre gonna add knees. Bas said there is no long hooks though...?? The rules are odd AF but theyre trying to keep it "as close to karate as possible." For some reason.

all they need to do is remove the shitty camera angles, remove the top part of the GI, and fight kyokushin rules with punches to the face allowed. Throws and stuff is fine, but no ground fighting. I predict this thing doing exremely horrible.

all they need to do is remove the shitty camera angles, remove the top part of the GI, and fight kyokushin rules with punches to the face allowed. Throws and stuff is fine, but no ground fighting. I predict this thing doing exremely horrible.

AAA2.jpg

I have a very simple solution to the point fighting problem. Allow in Full Contact American style Kickboxers and TKD guys. Both of those systems are based largely around Karate anyway. The difference is that they fight full contact and use different tactics.

@j123

Edit: forgot about takedowns with only 5 seconds ground and pound from standing position

I think the camera work, along with their unique rule structure, is for the sake of establishing their own unique brand and carving out a niche for it. But I kind of think of the American show "Ninja Warriors" while watching this, I guess due to the camera angles and the fighting stage.

I think the camera work, along with their unique rule structure, is for the sake of establishing their own unique brand and carving out a niche for it. But I kind of think of the American show "Ninja Warriors" while watching this, I guess due to the camera angles and the fighting stage.

im sticking with my guns on this one. the camera angles are bullshit. its not to say that they dont change camera angles during a boxing match for example, but thats totally different than what they are doing with this karate. like silver tongue said, its like a trailer to a movie.

@j123

They could add Street Fighter sounds and bullet time and I'd still love it! :D

But yeah, I was also expecting more of a knockdown + head punches format TBH.

Kyokushin rules are even worse. Please don't go by highlight reels on YouTube.

I don't think it looks as bad as you guys are making it out to be lol.

Remember they've only just started this competition format - it's still the early days. All of the fighters are fighting in a unfamiliar ruleset - even though it's based of point fighting competition it's still different. Even Aghayev was struggling with the rules a bit & committing a lot of fouls so you know it's not exactly the same thing.

The fighters will need some time to adjust to the rules. The competition format itself is unique & new and not yet set in stone. They'll probably spend the first year fine tuning the rules to provide the best format. The fighters will also need a bit of time when the rules & everything are set in stone - to adapt to whatever the rules are then.

I think it could potentially work because there really isn't any Karate competitions like this anywhere else in the world at the moment. Of course you have the WKF and JKA - but they aren't really full contact in the same way. So I can see this working and being attractive for top tier karateka in every organisation to potentially dabble in (or even as a gateway to potential MMA competition). If they can improve the ruleset, make it more entertaining/realistic - they could be a big competition format in the Karate world and beyond.

Especially with Karate being included in the 2020 Olympics. Also there aren't really any professional karate combat sports out there - which now when I think about it - is a bit surprising. I mean you have a lot of professional MT & Kickboxing organizations but virtually no professional Karate organizations/competitions. Karate is arguably up there with Judo & Boxing as the most popular martial arts to learn. Your average WKF competition draws millions of viewers and stadiums of 20000 or more. With this kind of competition you'd be drawing those kind of numbers as a base minimum plus drawing combat sports viewers as well - there is potential.

Personally I think to they need to make the fighting more continuous/free flowing - less stop, resetting & starting. That would be the biggest improvement. Then add any type of standing throw & knees. Add hooks as well. I wouldn't add elbows - would make it very messy. I'd also keep the 5 second GnP rule - just reinforce it. Maybe make any technique that puts you to ground, any knockdown, trip or falling yourself - make it significant scoring criteria. It will encourage people to avoid going to ground & trading shots.

That's just basically the same as kickboxing or MT. Already lots of those competitions out there.

I don't think it looks as bad as you guys are making it out to be lol.

Remember they've only just started this competition format - it's still the early days. All of the fighters are fighting in a unfamiliar ruleset - even though it's based of point fighting competition it's still different. Even Aghayev was struggling with the rules a bit & committing a lot of fouls so you know it's not exactly the same thing.

The fighters will need some time to adjust to the rules. The competition format itself is unique & new and not yet set in stone. They'll probably spend the first year fine tuning the rules to provide the best format. The fighters will also need a bit of time when the rules & everything are set in stone - to adapt to whatever the rules are then.

I think it could potentially work because there really isn't any Karate competitions like this anywhere else in the world at the moment. Of course you have the WKF and JKA - but they aren't really full contact in the same way. So I can see this working and being attractive for top tier karateka in every organisation to potentially dabble in (or even as a gateway to potential MMA competition). If they can improve the ruleset, make it more entertaining/realistic - they could be a big competition format in the Karate world and beyond.

Especially with Karate being included in the 2020 Olympics. Also there aren't really any professional karate combat sports out there - which now when I think about it - is a bit surprising. I mean you have a lot of professional MT & Kickboxing organizations but virtually no professional Karate organizations/competitions. Karate is arguably up there with Judo & Boxing as the most popular martial arts to learn. Your average WKF competition draws millions of viewers and stadiums of 20000 or more. With this kind of competition you'd be drawing those kind of numbers as a base minimum plus drawing combat sports viewers as well - there is potential.

Personally I think to they need to make the fighting more continuous/free flowing - less stop, resetting & starting. That would be the biggest improvement. Then add any type of standing throw & knees. Add hooks as well. I wouldn't add elbows - would make it very messy. I'd also keep the 5 second GnP rule - just reinforce it. Maybe make any technique that puts you to ground, any knockdown, trip or falling yourself - make it significant scoring criteria. It will encourage people to avoid going to ground & trading shots.

I think something that may help is if these fighters commit themselves STRICTLY to this new sport and forego the strict point sparring tournaments à la WKF and WKA. I think I'll take Tay's advice and give it a fair shot before passing anymore judgement just yet.

Back