Full Contact Karate

I don't think it looks as bad as you guys are making it out to be lol.

Remember they've only just started this competition format - it's still the early days. All of the fighters are fighting in a unfamiliar ruleset - even though it's based of point fighting competition it's still different. Even Aghayev was struggling with the rules a bit & committing a lot of fouls so you know it's not exactly the same thing.

The fighters will need some time to adjust to the rules. The competition format itself is unique & new and not yet set in stone. They'll probably spend the first year fine tuning the rules to provide the best format. The fighters will also need a bit of time when the rules & everything are set in stone - to adapt to whatever the rules are then.

I think it could potentially work because there really isn't any Karate competitions like this anywhere else in the world at the moment. Of course you have the WKF and JKA - but they aren't really full contact in the same way. So I can see this working and being attractive for top tier karateka in every organisation to potentially dabble in (or even as a gateway to potential MMA competition). If they can improve the ruleset, make it more entertaining/realistic - they could be a big competition format in the Karate world and beyond.

Especially with Karate being included in the 2020 Olympics. Also there aren't really any professional karate combat sports out there - which now when I think about it - is a bit surprising. I mean you have a lot of professional MT & Kickboxing organizations but virtually no professional Karate organizations/competitions. Karate is arguably up there with Judo & Boxing as the most popular martial arts to learn. Your average WKF competition draws millions of viewers and stadiums of 20000 or more. With this kind of competition you'd be drawing those kind of numbers as a base minimum plus drawing combat sports viewers as well - there is potential.

Personally I think to they need to make the fighting more continuous/free flowing - less stop, resetting & starting. That would be the biggest improvement. Then add any type of standing throw & knees. Add hooks as well. I wouldn't add elbows - would make it very messy. I'd also keep the 5 second GnP rule - just reinforce it. Maybe make any technique that puts you to ground, any knockdown, trip or falling yourself - make it significant scoring criteria. It will encourage people to avoid going to ground & trading shots.

That's just basically the same as kickboxing or MT. Already lots of those competitions out there.

yeah but since they are karate dudes, i would expect to see a fight more like the old WCL, or a Raymond Daniels type style than a kickboxing/MT fight. I think the fight with its current rule set would be ok to watch without all the nonsense camera angles. can you imagine, mayweather vs pacquiao, oh mayweather threw a punch cue the "jaws" music! ok now do some shaky cam and cutaways. i dunno dude the thing that really bugged me the most was the camera angles and editing. its movie tricks, like they do in an action scene.

yeah but since they are karate dudes, i would expect to see a fight more like the old WCL, or a Raymond Daniels type

These guys are not from american semi-contact type karate. That kind of karate barely exist worldwide.
They are both from WKF point karate, the largest sport karate organization in the world -by magnitudes (It is the kind of karate Machida comes from), and they have good merits from it. And this is EXACTLY the kind of fight you get if you take WKF fighters and tell them to go full power and not stop after each hit -which they sort of do anyway, they still think "first hit scores". In WKF Speed, distance and "first hit" is everything.
They work long distance, wait, are careful about the first hit, and then really have no idea what to do after the first hit, when they are into close distance.

As Azam wrote "it's still the early days". It will be interesting to see how they do after they get some experience with the rules, and learn to work continuous fights and close ranges. Or if they get a few karate guys who already are familiar with it from other types of karate competitions

I honestly liked it. Good production value and it is asthetic and entertaining.

Weird rules though.

Aghaev looked incredibly sluggish in the striking department and just plain old. What happened to his speed? Is it the format or is that guy over the hill by now?

These guys are not from american semi-contact type karate. That kind of karate barely exist worldwide.
They are both from WKF point karate, the largest sport karate organization in the world -by magnitudes (It is the kind of karate Machida comes from), and they have good merits from it. And this is EXACTLY the kind of fight you get if you take WKF fighters and tell them to go full power and not stop after each hit -which they sort of do anyway, they still think "first hit scores". In WKF Speed, distance and "first hit" is everything.
They work long distance, wait, are careful about the first hit, and then really have no idea what to do after the first hit, when they are into close distance.

As Azam wrote "it's still the early days". It will be interesting to see how they do after they get some experience with the rules, and learn to work continuous fights and close ranges. Or if they get a few karate guys who already are familiar with it from other types of karate competitions

Machida is from JKA Karate.... WKF Karatekas would make quick work of JKA guys in Point fighting. WKF guys are so much faster with footwork and hands.

I honestly liked it. Good production value and it is asthetic and entertaining.

Weird rules though.

I didn't like it at all. I'm a huge fighting enthusiast normally but this just plain sucked to me. The level was surprisingly poor to start off with.

You just have to much let me bang mang in you and it ruins everything else

Yeah, I know. I need to take a deep breath and learn to appreciate the "Nah, don't let me bang mang" events.

Yeah, I know. I need to take a deep breath and learn to appreciate the "Nah, don't let me bang mang" events.
You're practicing the bangiest of all martial bangs. Hard to pass up

Machida is from JKA Karate.... WKF Karatekas would make quick work of JKA guys in Point fighting. WKF guys are so much faster with footwork and hands.

JKA is officially part of WKF. They do their own rules internally, but participate in WKF tournaments too.

look what I started!!!!!!

<Moves>
c13832206836da571732f661b84df57f.jpg

a2a89f66d0ff09de73001b0deb62604c2b638f69a5805aded827357e51780f56.jpg

You do realize that Kyokushin is a Full Contact Knockdown Karate style,eight? Hell Kyokushin is the base for Dutch Kickboxing. Not the Karate style you want to use for meme mocking Karate.

I must admit, I wasn't really a fan of this. I don't particularly care for the slopes on the side, they look like an ankle break waiting to happen. From a technical perspective it was just weird to have this middle ground - I think Rafael Aghayev is the man, but he doesn't seem to be particularly used to throwing low kicks. I also found it interesting that in this new ruleset for karate, that Rafael dominated by just taking the guy down and punching him in the face.

I'll give it a chance, but I don't think it's... good.

This looked quite lame to me. I seriously doubt that this would catch on in today's world of combat sports. I hate to sound like that guy but, these guys want to be acknowledged as participating in a full contact sport but this isn't a full contact sport all. Why don't they just compete in Kudo/Daido Juku, Shidokan, Glory Kickboxing, K-1, Zendokai Karate (Kudo offshoot based in Japan), knockdown Karate or true mma? I don't think this is going to last long. It reminds me too much of Pro Karate Fight in France which I think is meh.

EDIT: I couldn't watch that fight to the end. It's basically WKF point sparring with gloves and sloppy TDs. I'm not a huge fan of Japan Pro-Karatedo but I'd rather watch that before watching this stuff.

Yeah that's kind of my point!

I must admit, I wasn't really a fan of this. I don't particularly care for the slopes on the side, they look like an ankle break waiting to happen. From a technical perspective it was just weird to have this middle ground - I think Rafael Aghayev is the man, but he doesn't seem to be particularly used to throwing low kicks. I also found it interesting that in this new ruleset for karate, that Rafael dominated by just taking the guy down and punching him in the face.

I'll give it a chance, but I don't think it's... good.

Yeah. I think Aghayev should try wrestling based on this. He looked sluggish striking. Got tagged badly in succession too. Those point fighters are usually elusive.

You do realize that Kyokushin is a Full Contact Knockdown Karate style,eight? Hell Kyokushin is the base for Dutch Kickboxing. Not the Karate style you want to use for meme mocking Karate.

<Lmaoo>
cool_story.jpg

whats kyokushin? o_O

youre-late-bro.jpg

Yeah. I think Aghayev should try wrestling based on this. He looked sluggish striking. Got tagged badly in succession too. Those point fighters are usually elusive.

He wasn't ever really lengthy enough to be elusive in his sport, so he used to just stay on the outside, sweep or throw his opponent and get the ground strike for the big point. Won I think 5 world championships with that approach. I think he's getting up there in years though now, which is probably why he slowed.

Back on topic, the rules for the new sport system are apparently still evolving. Hooks was originally banned, but are now allowed.
No idea why they were banned. All karate rules I know of allows hooks.

Back on topic, the rules for the new sport system are apparently still evolving. Hooks was originally banned, but are now allowed.
No idea why they were banned. All karate rules I know of allows hooks.

Bas Rutten said to Rogan that long hooks are allowed but not short hooks. Then he suddenly said short hooks are allowed as well.As if they changed it during the broadcast.

Back