Full Contact Karate

WKF Karate allows hooks? Never see them

"WKF kumite rules. article 6 -scoring
5. YUKO is awarded for:
a) Chudan or Jodan Tsuki.
b) Jodan or Chudan Uchi."
https://wkf.net/pdf/rules/wkfcompetitionrules2018-pdf-en-176.pdf

uchi =hook
Well, Tsuki, means straight punches, while uchi refers to circular strikes (or really any kind of punch but straights) -which hooks of-course are. Uchi can also mean other things, but not in this case.

I agree that you do not see them often. But that is a effect of the "first hit scores" format, and the long range this causes. hooks are primarily close range techniques. IF you can get into the right range, they score point (the lowest possible point under the system, but still)

Last edited:
Bas Rutten said to Rogan that long hooks are allowed but not short hooks. Then he suddenly said short hooks are allowed as well.As if they changed it during the broadcast.

Or he simply was not fully up on the latest edition of the rules, and was reminded of them in his earpiece during broadcast after he got it wrong. I would guess the latter.

Last edited:
Or he simply was not fully up on the latest edition of the rules, and was reminded of them in his earpiece during broadcast after he got it wrong. I would guess the latter.
. Yeah but rule changes during qualification matches sounds fishy. The first offical match hasnt even even started

"WKF kumite rules. article 6 -scoring
5. YUKO is awarded for:
a) Chudan or Jodan Tsuki.
b) Jodan or Chudan Uchi."
https://wkf.net/pdf/rules/wkfcompetitionrules2018-pdf-en-176.pdf

uchi =hook
Well, Tsuki, means straight punches, while uchi refers to circular strikes (or really any kind of punch but straights) -which hooks of-course are. Uchi can also mean other things, but not in this case.

I agree that you do not see them often. But that is a effect of the "first hit scores" format, and the long range this causes. hooks are primarily close range techniques. IF you can get into the right range, they score point (the lowest possible point under the system, but still)

Then why did JKA guys throw hooks regularly in 70s and 80s bare knuckled point fighting days. If it's in-effective in point fighting...

potw1116a.jpg

time-kHxE--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

img-157899982c8.gif

Last edited:
Back on topic, the rules for the new sport system are apparently still evolving. Hooks was originally banned, but are now allowed.
No idea why they were banned. All karate rules I know of allows hooks.

Maybe they wanted to keep it as realistic as possible (in regards to punching).

I love hooks but outside of combat sports or sparring - it isn't a go to punch at least when aimed at the face/head.

Let's be honest - without gloves the likelihood of breaking your hands throwing a hook is pretty damn high. Probably much safer for your hand to use linear punches.

It also may be why Russians throw casting punches & why you have ridge hand hooks or mawashi uchi (very similar to Russian casting hook) in Karate.

Back on topic, the rules for the new sport system are apparently still evolving. Hooks was originally banned, but are now allowed.
No idea why they were banned. All karate rules I know of allows hooks.

When I competed under WKF rules in France several years ago hooks were not allowed, only straight punches (tsuki) and uraken tsuki.

The "clicker" rules of Kyokushin (an alternative competition format to knockdown which is continuous semi contact point scoring with head punches) which I also competed in in the UK didn't allow hooks either, only straight punches and uraken.

This might have changed now though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back