Fun Factor: If we let Alcohol be legal, even tho people die because of it, then why not All Guns?

Pools kill.

helen_lovejoy-children.jpg

If pools were expressly designed to propel metal projectiles through living flesh, bone and sinew in order to cause the death of the organism you might have an argument here.

Germans are pretty good at it. They often start with wine at dinner from their parents at a young age. From what I experienced they don't go through that phase at 16-18 of going out and getting black out drunk, drink driving etc. Not that they don't binge drink, but just not to the extent of Australia or the UK. Not sure about the rest of Europe. Singapore was also pretty restrained, compared to South Korea.
personal experience here, but i know that alcohol culture is both invisible and visible at the same time in Belgium: the fun parts are visible and promoted (bar culture, having a glass of wine at dinner etc) but the bad parts are kept hidden. we have an enormous problem with alcoholism, binge drinking, dependence on alcohol to 'have a good time' and the fact that alcohol is a very important factor in domestic violence and car accidents.

it's a hard drug and should not be promoted in any way. if you can't buy pot in the supermarket, you sure as hell shouldn't be able to buy enough vodka to drink yourself to death a couple of dozen times with.

also, just looked it up: there's about 1,7 million alcohol dependent people in Germany, and 2,7 million people who use alcohol in a harmful way.

http://www.dw.com/en/the-highs-and-lows-of-germanys-drinking-culture/a-2226609

Last edited:
A patient last month threw something against the wall in his house he shares with his gf.
He caught charges for assault even though she's declining to press charges because the county is doing so...
where do you work?

It was a few years ago. It made the local news for like a day.

And when an illegal alien raped a 14 year old girl that didn't make the papers. When he was bailed out and skipped out of the country that didn't make the paper. When bounty hunters went to Mexico to get him and were held at gunpoint by Mexican cops to prevent bringing the rapist to justice ... that didn't make the papers.

When that illegal alien illegally entered the country once more, and stole a shotgun and shot his rape victim? That made the local news, but barely. He blew her head off with that shotgun. She was 16. The news was swept under the rug as fast as possible.

Maybe we should make illegal aliens illegal?
murder is already illegal, but sure why not.

personal experience here, but i know that alcohol culture is both invisible and visible at the same time in Belgium: the fun parts are visible and promoted (bar culture, having a glass of wine at dinner etc) but the bad parts are kept hidden. we have an enormous problem with alcoholism, binge drinking, dependence on alcohol to 'have a good time' and the fact that alcohol is a very important factor in domestic violence and car accidents.

it's a hard drug and should not be promoted in any way. if you can't buy pot in the supermarket, you sure as hell shouldn't be able to buy enough vodka to drink yourself to death a couple of dozen times with.

Well, alcohol isn't available in supermarkets here, and binge drinking is actively campaigned against by the government with some effect on culture.
When I was younger drinking was almost a competitive game. We elected Bob Hawk Prime Minister in no small part due to his beer sculling ability and sportsmen were well known for their beer drinking ability (ie the number of beers drunk by members of the cricket team from Sydney to London. Boonie drank 52).
That's no longer the case, and getting legless and messy in public is more likely to be frowned upon (and in the case of prominent sportsmen, involve penalties).
Whether that's "responsible drinking" is relative I guess. It is a cultural shift in attitudes and behaviour though.
Drug laws in Australia are also extremely tolerant compared to other countries I've been to (most of SE Asia), and overall I'd say that's for the better. You might get slightly more users, but they won't all be the same sort of hard core criminal element. I wouldn't really compare weed to alcohol though. I think of it more like coffee.

Well, alcohol isn't available in supermarkets here, and binge drinking is actively campaigned against by the government with some effect on culture.
When I was younger drinking was almost a competitive game. We elected Bob Hawk Prime Minister in no small part due to his beer sculling ability and sportsmen were well known for their beer drinking ability (ie the number of beers drunk by members of the cricket team from Sydney to London. Boonie drank 52).
That's no longer the case, and getting legless and messy in public is more likely to be frowned upon (and in the case of prominent sportsmen, involve penalties).
Whether that's "responsible drinking" is relative I guess. It is a cultural shift in attitudes and behaviour though.
Drug laws in Australia are also extremely tolerant compared to other countries I've been to (most of SE Asia), and overall I'd say that's for the better. You might get slightly more users, but they won't all be the same sort of hard core criminal element. I wouldn't really compare weed to alcohol though. I think of it more like coffee.
(edited my post btw)

i agree with looser drug laws, and i also think the attitudes are shifting.

i have too many family members who died from the stuff to ever touch it again though. i don't like the normalizing of it, and i think we should keep reminding people that it's literally a hard drug.

(edited my post btw)

i agree with looser drug laws, and i also think the attitudes are shifting.

i have too many family members who died from the stuff to ever touch it again though. i don't like the normalizing of it, and i think we should keep reminding people that it's literally a hard drug.

Pretty much the opposite in my case, being from a line of Rechabites.
I found their attitudes towards drinking (and people that drink) largely misplaced. A bunch of wowsers.

If you have a group of friends and one is designated driver . . .

you need to have a designated marksman too.

If every crew at the LV concert had a designated marksman, with appropriate rifle, then that shooter be smoked in no time.

I can't mass murder 59 people from 400 meters away with case of beer. I can do so with a few firearms though.

I can't mass murder 59 people from 400 meters away with case of beer. I can do so with a few firearms though.
That is not true at all.

If you get drunk, you can kill a shitload of people...Not sure what's the most kills done by a DUI.

That is not true at all.

If you get drunk, you can kill a shitload of people...Not sure what's the most kills done by a DUI.
How am I going to kill 59 people from 400 meters away with a case of beer in a matter of minutes? Magic?

How am I going to kill 59 people from 400 meters away with a case of beer in a matter of minutes? Magic?
Get in a car and ran over/crash into a shitload of people while drunk...Not sure why meters are some important to you....Like that makes a difference lol.

On a side note...does anybody know if the vegas shooter was drunk that day?

Back