Fundamentals: Footwork or Hands First?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Should people coming into boxing begin by learning the punches or footwork first?

Punches: Jab, cross (straight), hook, uppercut

Footwork: Moving forward, moving backwards, lateral left, lateral right, shuffle step, walk off, pivot etc.

I've heard this topic debated before by all levels to include coaches.
If you were the coach which would you have them learn first in the gym, and why?

If your feet are better than your fists (or indeed your mouth) then you'll never get into a fight you can't get out of.

To answer more seriously...

You can have the best hands in the world but if you don't know how to do anything other than stand right in front of your opponent and bang... the first guy who does know how to turn the corner on you will destroy you.

You need to learn the dance to know when to attack and when not to, how to lead your opponent into a trap and how to avoid theirs... the "chess" part of boxing really comes from your feet and how you position both yourself and your opponent within the ropes.

Last edited:
Work on your footjobs before anything

What is a "footjobs"? You've never boxed before have you? This is actually for guys with experience in a boxing gym. Comment as you wish, but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for here. Is there a "fetish discussion" somewhere? lol

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you have boxed, I'm sure you've noticed guys who throw akward punches. They cross their feet or don't understand how to rotate (pivot) on their foot to generate a chain from the floor through the legs, torso up to the arms and fists?

Guys want to punch a bag before anything else. Do you think the basics of footwork, pivots, how to plant, and torque should be covered before learning to throw a punch?

I understand this is local gym stuff, but it is still boxing.

Feet first. Reason? Positioning.

I agree. I respect that position. Guys who don't learn footwork typically get in the ring and proceed to "rock em sock em" robots style fighting. Or they stumble around because they don't know how to shift their weight forward or back without tripping.

The biggest thing I've seen when footwork is lacking is they get stuck in a corner or on the ropes instead of pivoting off.

Both. Dedicated time should be spent on both.

Can't practice on a heavy bag if your feet can't bring you in and out

Can't practice on a heavy bag if you can't throw a proper punch

The problem is most amateur gyms teach basic movement and footwork then just work on pads/bags/sparring. As an adult I now wish I'd had a trainer focus more on my footwork when I was a kid. With my own boy now his entire morning training sessions consist of footwork pretty much.

Both. Dedicated time should be spent on both.

Can't practice on a heavy bag if your feet can't bring you in and out

Can't practice on a heavy bag if you can't throw a proper punch

The problem is most amateur gyms teach basic movement and footwork then just work on pads/bags/sparring. As an adult I now wish I'd had a trainer focus more on my footwork when I was a kid. With my own boy now his entire morning training sessions consist of footwork pretty much.

My friend has the most ridiculous footwork I've ever seen in person. I never knew how to pivot other than to my left (orthodox stance) until he showed me. It was like an entirely new revelation being able to pivot both sides.

I know it sounds like a simple accomplishment, but it can mean the world if you only have so many directions you can comfortably go. Having limited footwork I think can get you in a world of hurt.

tenor-41182869.gif

I know how you feel! The gif is from a movie but I think alot of boxers really do lack natural movement both directions, or make up for it through other means. In the same way some guys struggle to box moving backwards.

For a while was seriously going to put my boy in some basic dancing lessons but he has much better footwork than I ever did so I'll leave him be for a while

I agree. I respect that position. Guys who don't learn footwork typically get in the ring and proceed to "rock em sock em" robots style fighting. Or they stumble around because they don't know how to shift their weight forward or back without tripping.

The biggest thing I've seen when footwork is lacking is they get stuck in a corner or on the ropes instead of pivoting off.
Yeah. By far the best recent example I've seen of pivoting out (and also back in at times) was with Usyk against Gassiev. He was constantly pivoting off the line with ease and Gassiev was sent stumbling chasing a target that was no longer there. He was easily being turned and constantly having to reset his feet to punch, having to play catch up all night long. It was a pivoting masterclass by Usyk. His back touched the ropes like twice for 12 rounds and he held center ring very easily due to his pivot game being on point. Also, in large part due to his pinpoint pivot game (with his distance management & spatial awareness), they only ever tied up once during the entire fight.

Yeah. By far the best recent example I've seen of pivoting out (and also back in at times) was with Usyk against Gassiev. He was constantly pivoting off the line with ease and Gassiev was sent stumbling chasing a target that was no longer there. He was easily being turned and constantly having to reset his feet to punch, having to play catch up all night long. It was a pivoting masterclass by Usyk. His back touched the ropes like twice for 12 rounds and he held center ring very easily due to his pivot game being on point. Also, in large part due to his pinpoint pivot game (with his distance management & spatial awareness), they only ever tied up once during the entire fight.

True. I also think footwork is largely why Pacquiao lost to Floyd, couldn't cut off the ring. Canelo GGG 1, footwork was a factor, he had GGG chasing him pretty much the whole fight.

I'm going to watch that fight tonight. Usyk/Gassiev on youtube. I have a few fights to catch up on smh. Thanks.

What is a "footjobs"? You've never boxed before have you? This is actually for guys with experience in a boxing gym. Comment as you wish, but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for here. Is there a "fetish discussion" somewhere? lol

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you have boxed, I'm sure you've noticed guys who throw akward punches. They cross their feet or don't understand how to rotate (pivot) on their foot to generate a chain from the floor through the legs, torso up to the arms and fists?

Guys want to punch a bag before anything else. Do you think the basics of footwork, pivots, how to plant, and torque should be covered before learning to throw a punch?

I understand this is local gym stuff, but it is still boxing.
Have I ever boxed? Have you ever given a footjob?

View attachment 440797

I know how you feel! The gif is from a movie but I think alot of boxers really do lack natural movement both directions, or make up for it through other means. In the same way some guys struggle to box moving backwards.

For a while was seriously going to put my boy in some basic dancing lessons but he has much better footwork than I ever did so I'll leave him be for a while

I think Lomachenko's dad had him in dancing for awhile, I could be mistaken, but that is what I heard.

Sugar Ray Robinson was a tap dancer, I think even professionally at one point.

No. It was a serious question. Can you do them?

3 hours for a comeback. I don't know you kid, keep trying. B for the effort, go join MGK back in the little league. I'm a grown man.

I'm not even mad, but life is too short to flame with people online. Make a thread requesting one, maybe you'll have better luck that way. Good day to you my friend. lol

3 hours for a comeback. I don't know you kid, keep trying. B for the effort, go join MGK back in the little league. I'm a grown man.

I'm not even mad, but life is too short to flame with people online. Make a thread requesting one, maybe you'll have better luck that way. Good day to you my friend. lol
Sorry for offending you. Just wondering.

Back