Fundamentals of Footwork

a guy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
In the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, Bruce Lee wrote that “the quality of a man’s technique depends on his footwork, for one cannot use his hands or kicks efficiently until his feet have put him in the desired position. If a man is slow on his feet, he will be slow with his punches and kicks. Mobility and speed of footwork precede speed of kicks and punches”. Footwork is perhaps the most fundamental aspect of any martial art. No technique in the world can be made effective without the mobility to get into the right position and range, just as no bomb can be effective without the delivery system to get it to the target. The purpose of footwork is to move into more advantageous positions while preventing the opponent from doing the same. Proper footwork ensures balance, speed, power and control. It simultaneously enables both dangerous offense and elusive defense. Yet, for some reason, footwork receives some of the least detailed instruction of any skill. In this article, we’re going to lay out guidelines for fundamentally sound footwork, discuss drills to develop them, then study examples of outstanding footwork.

GUIDELINES:

The golden rule of footwork is that you must preserve the integrity of your stance. Correct foot alignment and foot spacing must be maintained no matter what direction you’re moving. This means no crossing your feet, no squaring up, no bringing your feet too close together or too far apart, no standing straight up, no removing both feet from the ground at the same time and generally no doing anything that removes you from your starting position any more than is necessary. With this core concept in mind, let’s take a look at some more specific guidelines:

1) Move the foot closest to the direction you're going first. Super simple, super basic, but everyone does this wrong—especially when pivoting. Regardless of which way you're stepping, the closer foot moves first while the farther foot is pushing off, then the farther foot adjusts to bring you back to stance as the closer foot does the work. Be careful to maintain the proper width of your stance with each step.

2) Small steps. It's very tempting to take big steps, especially when trying to move quickly, but this makes you easier to outmaneuver and easier to walk into traps. Bigger steps are more committed and less balanced. Smaller steps are more controlled, ensure you have balance and leverage at all times, and allow you to change directions quickly. For MMA especially this makes your legs harder to kick and to grab for takedowns.

3) Weight on the balls of your feet. This doesn't mean you need to be up on your toes like a ballerina, it just means that even when your heels are down, your weight shouldn't be on them. Keeping weight on the balls of your feet keeps your calves engaged so that you're always ready to push into the ground to either move or attack, in addition to keeping you better balanced.

4) Keep your lead foot pointed at the target at all times. No matter what direction you're moving, keep that lead foot pointed at the center of your target. This ensures that you're never giving up an angle and helps prevent you from squaring up, getting too bladed or crossing your feet. Many people are never taught this simple cue but it makes a huge difference in your positioning and thus ability to control distance.

5) When trying to punch and move at the same time, make sure the foot you're stepping hits the ground at the same time the punch lands. If it doesn't, you're losing power and will be off-balance if you miss.

These tips will ensure you're moving correctly and staying in your stance at all times. Now you need a few drills to put them into action:

DRILLS:

1) Place a water bottle on the floor. Circle around it in both directions. That's it. Sounds stupid, but you have to do it while keeping your lead foot pointed at the bottle the entire time, and without crossing your feet, squaring up, standing straight up, bringing your feet together, widening your stance too much, any of that. Once you can do this, you start adding in fast direction changes, in-out movement, foot feints, and other more advanced techniques.

2) Do a round of bagwork simply focused on moving around the bag. Give it a push then move with it as it swings. Have fun with this. You can do things like push the bag, pivot to get out of the way as it swings towards you, chase it as it swings away, then pivot out again right before it comes back towards you. Be very aware of what distance you’re at—you can choose to stay in close as it swings around to mimic a pressuring infighting game, or you can try to stay far away from the bag to mimic a bull and matador type fight.

3) Get a partner and some pads in the ring, cage, or anywhere with a border. Your partner is going to hold the pads up and walk you down relentlessly. Your goal is to keep pivoting around him so that he can't push you to the edge of the ring despite constantly coming forward. As he does this, you can either work a preset combination or you can freestyle it. This can also be done as a partner drill at a more advanced level, where both guys wear gloves and he walks forward practicing defense while you circle around and attack.

4) The same thing as 3, but this time the guy coming forward is doing the attacking. The goal is to cut off the cage and push the other guy back. Like 3, it can also be done as a partner drill.

5) Finally, make sure you're working your footwork during all your shadowboxing. Spend a round or two practicing only your footwork at the beginning of each session. From there, incorporate your footwork into everything you do. It has to be integrated fully into your style for it to be effective.

These drills will allow you to sharpen your footwork technique in ways that will translate directly to fighting ability. You should also supplement this technical training with exercises like jumping rope and ladder drills to improve coordination and agility.

EXAMPLES:

Now that we have a good grasp of how to move correctly, let’s take a look at some examples of great footwork, starting with arguably the most technical boxer alive right now: Lomachenko.

Notice the small steps, the subtle pivots and angle changes, his ability to stay balanced as he shifts weight back and forth while moving, how he moves smoothly and fluidly in all directions and how he keeps his hips and knees engaged.

Here’s Cotto, who never had the fastest feet, using educated footwork to move, punch and defend all at the same time while hitting pads with Freddie Roach.

Pay attention to his strong connection to the ground, the way he’s always lined up and ready to dig his feet in for power and balance. He keeps his center of gravity low as he moves and thus his ability to work his power punches with his angles makes excellent study material.

Now watch Roman Gonzalez work the heavy bag:

And really watch how he works with the movement of the bag. Sometimes he pivots around it as it comes to him, sometimes he intercepts its movement with a punch, sometimes he gives it a push to keep it moving, and the whole time he’s always facing it as it swings around and he steps around it.

Finally, check out this great analysis video made by Lee Wylie:

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Fundamental footwork is not only one of the most important skills in fighting; it’s also one of the most fun to train. Move smart, move fast and deliver your bombs to the target.

For more analysis, please check out my blog:

http://cagecraft.net/

its interesting at 3:40 Napoles's back leg is trailing.

its interesting at 3:40 Napoles's back leg is trailing.

A little, but see how he's able to drop that knee down and really sit down on the punch? He's still getting great leverage.

A little, but see how he's able to drop that knee down and really sit down on the punch? He's still getting great leverage.
yeah I see what you mean but it seems pretty far. Is there a reason for that?

It's not trailing yet because its still providing maximal traction, balance and power. Sure it's towards the longer side of useful, but its still within the limits and optimal zone for his exact body and for what he's doing. A little further and you could be right, but who cares, as long as its doing the right thing it doesn't have to be in exactly the same spot, there is some leeway in someways and very little leeway in other ways. He's still good at that point and it wouldn't help him significantly more if it were 'in' more.

Also, you are just looking at the distance of the foot. What you are not seeing is the bend in that leg. Trailing = its uselessly falling behind. Usually that means it is out to the back and not planted, or if it is planted, it's mostly straight legged so unable to do anything, like a dead log of wood. He has a STRONG bend in that leg, it's planted strongly and its doing good work, ready to deliver what it needs and/or able to react efficiently for varying movement should it need to.

It's not trailing yet because its still providing maximal traction, balance and power. Sure it's towards the longer side of useful, but its still within the limits and optimal zone for his exact body and for what he's doing. A little further and you could be right, but who cares, as long as its doing the right thing it doesn't have to be in exactly the same spot, there is some leeway in someways and very little leeway in other ways. He's still good at that point and it wouldn't help him significantly more if it were 'in' more.

Also, you are just looking at the distance of the foot. What you are not seeing is the bend in that leg. Trailing = its uselessly falling behind. Usually that means it is out to the back and not planted, or if it is planted, it's mostly straight legged so unable to do anything, like a dead log of wood. He has a STRONG bend in that leg, it's planted strongly and its doing good work, ready to deliver what it needs and/or able to react efficiently for varying movement should it need to.
oh ok i didnt know that a bend in the leg changed everything. Coming from a karate background one of the first things i had to get down was to keep my stance short and my rear leg under me.

The reason is because he was executing a pull as he pivoted before throwing the punch. That's why it sticks out behind him in the first place. Watch his head snap back as that foot shoots back. From there, he still manages to keep weight on the leg and drop the knee, so he still has leverage and power from the ground up.

In addition, some guys will modify technique a little to suit their body type. For example, guys with longer legs usually find it more comfortable to take a slightly wider stance. As long as it isn't inhibiting proper weight distribution and leverage it's fine.

oh ok i didnt know that a bend in the leg changed everything. Coming from a karate background one of the first things i had to get down was to keep my stance short and my rear leg under me.

Yes, the bend in the leg is what dropping the knee means.

Yeah it still is engaged and the bend (and him being "seated") helps keep his legs engaged, despite being nearer the outer limit of usefulness. The deep bend means the potential for the leg hasnt been all used up yet, it can still provide grounding and help him bleed off shots if he needs to, and it still has some good thrust left. If it was straight or nearly straight (like a lot of people do) it would be useless.

@a guy

Nice article, but you should make it clear that it's about boxing and "basic mma" footwork/stance. If you take MT or TKD (and those are just the ones I know), there are a lot of differences... For example, lead leg pointing at the opponent, or weight on the balls of your feet, is not necessarily true...

@a guy

Nice article, but you should make it clear that it's about boxing and "basic mma" footwork/stance. If you take MT or TKD (and those are just the ones I know), there are a lot of differences... For example, lead leg pointing at the opponent, or weight on the balls of your feet, is not necessarily true...

Sorry man, I only write about real fighting ;)

Sorry man, I only write about real fighting ;)

Oh, you mean boxing? The para-Olympics of the martial world, for those unfortunate people with motricity deficiency, that can use their legs only to move them selves from point A to point B in a 4-6 meter square... Poor people that cannot raise their legs past knee high...
It's kind of sad to see handicapped people trying to hurt each other, but fortunately they strike with the most fragile part of the human body, and they still have to put pillows over it, because we wouldn't want them to hurt to much... they already suffer so much in their life...

And you still find ways to wuss it down even more...how's your boxercise goin?

I guess, at least, it's not BJJ level of delusion...

Oh, you mean boxing? The para-Olympics of the martial world, for those unfortunate people with motricity deficiency, that can use their legs only to move them selves from point A to point B in a 4-6 meter square... Poor people that cannot raise their legs past knee high...
It's kind of sad to see handicapped people trying to hurt each other, but fortunately they strike with the most fragile part of the human body, and they still have to put pillows over it, because we wouldn't want them to hurt to much... they already suffer so much in their life...

And you still find ways to wuss it down even more...how's your boxercise goin?

I guess, at least, it's not BJJ level of delusion...

lol I was talking about MMA. Yea, yea you can throw kicks but can you stop a double leg?

lol I was talking about MMA. Yea, yea you can throw kicks but can you stop a double leg?

Of course he can...........who can't stop one of these.......

giphy.gif

I was talking about MMA.

Yeah, sorry, my bad...You're right, MMA is where the real fighting is happening, the place where all the bodybuilders, wrestlers and grapplers go to look tough...by laying and praying for 15min...the place where you don't have to be good at anything, just spam take downs attempts to win the fight.
The place which is a circus and where the most loud mouthed douchebag has the more supporters, the biggest salary and the best media coverage.
The place where huge monstrosity on all kind of drugs, coming from professional wrestling, are the biggest stars, but react to a strike to the face like little girls...

Yea, yea you can throw kicks but can you stop a double leg?

Exactly my point...all you have to do, all you have to know...

"Great fighting skills there, Joe..."

Yeah, sorry, my bad...You're right, MMA is where the real fighting is happening, the place where all the bodybuilders, wrestlers and grapplers go to look tough...by laying and praying for 15min...the place where you don't have to be good at anything, just spam take downs attempts to win the fight.
The place which is a circus and where the most loud mouthed douchebag has the more supporters, the biggest salary and the best media coverage.
The place where huge monstrosity on all kind of drugs, coming from professional wrestling, are the biggest stars, but react to a strike to the face like little girls...

Exactly my point...all you have to do, all you have to know...

"Great fighting skills there, Joe..."

You're just mad because you know deep in your heart that there's nothing you can do to stop another man from tossing you to the ground, wrapping his arms around your neck and gently whispering into your ear, "good night, sweet prince" as you fade into darkness.

All i have to do is tap and I'm out of trouble...because your "hardcore" sport, gives the opportunity to just give up before any pain, any damage is done to you...real hardcore... Some of your GOAT's tapping to strikes...
That's why it's full of wannabe tough guys from bjj and other blanket arts... you can give up anytime you want...

All i have to do is tap and I'm out of trouble...because your "hardcore" sport, gives the opportunity to just give up before any pain, any damage is done to you...real hardcore... Some of your GOAT's tapping to strikes...
That's why it's full of wannabe tough guys from bjj and other blanket arts... you can give up anytime you want...

What if I no hespect the tap.

I think it saddens you to know that you'd be saying uncle in less than a minute against a real fighter.

I try to be serious with arguments, and you just troll with one-liners... Go back to the F12 to discuss about aikido vs bjj and who taps faster... I'm done here...

Back