Fundamentals of Footwork

Here's a video of me shadowboxing my footwork (and head movement), as per drill 5.

Just so you guys know I'm not making this stuff up.

sounds like you are sliding your feet a bit

Sounds to me like you weren't taught how to sit in a lowered stance properly at all.
It could be that, actually it definitely is that. I was very front foot heavy. But looking at your vid your movement also looks very heavy and unnatural. Like you are not very relaxed and your muscles are tense and movement taking a lot of energy. Even jab looks telegraphed and angled due to sitting low.

In contrast if you watch Sano for example who stands tall his straights come as a lightning from a very good posture.

It could be that, actually it definitely is that. I was very front foot heavy. But looking at your vid your movement also looks very heavy and unnatural. Like you are not very relaxed and your muscles are tense and movement taking a lot of energy. Even jab looks telegraphed and angled due to sitting low.

In contrast if you watch Sano for example who stands tall his straights come as a lightning from a very good posture.
sitting low shouldn't interrupt the integrity of trowing da punches. sitting in when trowing a jab keeps the integrity, you are shifting the weight in da hips popping with the knees and loose with the arms and shoulder fighting the two smallest fingers before impact.
a low stance should not interrupt you posture either you can still keep a straight back chin thick to take the brunt of blows down your back from a lowered stance.

I disagree. The correct form of trowing a jab is rising up not sitting in and rotating. You are jabbing not hooking. You need to get long and reach out. Even the straight right is similar. The exaggerated form of trowing straight punches and waving can be seen in TKD. In boxing it is not that exaggerated but the same idea applies. Even in MT they teach you to rise up when striking.

I disagree. The correct form of trowing a jab is rising up not sitting in and rotating. You are jabbing not hooking. You need to get long and reach out. Even the straight right is similar. The exaggerated form of trowing straight punches and waving can be seen in TKD. In boxing it is not that exaggerated but the same idea applies. Even in MT they teach you to rise up when striking.

Are you familiar with the phrase "sitting down on your punches"?

Idk man you see my movement as heavy, I see it as grounded and balanced. I can keep moving like that regardless of how tired I am, just slower obviously. I think you're confusing explosive movements for tense movements.

A guy, you seem really heavier than in your last video ( "Tile exercise" )...

I don't know if you are kidding, but i didn't mean that...

I don't know if you are kidding, but i didn't mean that...

I'm half serious. I had to stop training for awhile due to a back injury, ended up doing too much drinking and not enough sleeping so I put on some weight and got out of shape.

i disagree the facts your are slow and out of shape....

Well I'm speaking relatively. Slow and out of shape compared to before I took time off, and compared to what I'll be like when I lose about 15 pounds and get back to training regularly.

I think you're right, hadn't noticed that. Thanks!
its cool. Its a habit of mine I used to have from traditional martial arts until my boxing coach corrected me to take tiny little steps. I wasnt sure if it was a general rule though, thanks.

maybe i misspoke or you aren't familiar with shifting weight in your hips. but shifting weight in your hips is not just for a hook it is a slight shift that takes your head off the center line and helps your jab with pumping it out longer and puts umph when trowing da jab. it is correct because it keeps the punch true leaves you with the ability to follow it up with any punch and move any direction you want after trowing.
trowing da gancho actually has the lead foot pivot inwards, wit da jab there is no need to be pivoting the lead foot.

also the reason why "a guy's" jab was angled in that manner is because he was practicing trowing a "up jab"

i can't speak for may thai except for when i learned may thai they taught the same way, and i haven't practiced TKD since i was a tyke.

Back