Fundraiser for Richard Perry

Fluffernutter

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Cliffs (plagiarized from the USA Wresting write-up and the Go-Fund-Me account):

- Rich is currently ranked number 2 in the country at 86 kg. He is currently a full time athlete with the Pennsylvania regional training center.

Last night, Rich suffered a terrible accident. He was at the national team training camp in San Diego. His eye was impaled causing brain trauma. He is in the fight for his life right now. He was medevaced to one of the top Neurological hospitals in California.

Currently, the doctors have to wait for the swelling to go down before they can perform surgery. Even after surgery there will be many hurdles to overcome. He will have to remain in California for at least 3-6 months for recovery and rehab. His wife Gina was on the first plane from Pennsylvania to be by his side.

- He competes for the New York Athletic Club and trains with the Pennsylvania Regional Training Center. He wrestled for Bloomsburg University in college, and Middletown High School in Connecticut.

Perry is a leader within USA Wrestling, serving on its Board of Directors and its Executive Committee.

https://www.gofundme.com/zjjhww-help-for-the-perry-family

This happened at the training camp at Camp Pendleton?

More news about him:

Update from Gina!!!

“Thank you all so much for the prayers! God is certainly hearing them and acting on them. This morning we walked in on Rich standing with assistance. Praise God that is just leaps and bounds better than yesterday! Not only that, but he even cracked a smile for us as he was standing in true Rich fashion. He is able to hear us and acknowledges our questions and what we are saying to him. Honestly, at this point I could not be more excited about his progress and it’s all because of God’s mercy, grace, and love—your prayers are moving mountains! Please keep them coming. While this will be a long road to recovery, it will be one to a FULL RECOVERY! I am claiming that in the name of Jesus!

We are waiting on an exact date for next week’s surgery to remove the bone fragment from the front part of his brain. We need prayers that that surgery goes smoothly and as planned. Please pray that God guides the hands of the surgical team and that all goes according to plan... or even better.

The swelling is going down and it seems that this is all a waiting game for now, until Rich has surgery. The pool of blood on the back right side of his brain is causing paralysis on the left side of his body. Though it will take time, we’ve been told the bruising will heal and the paralysis will dissipate. We are believing that he WILL regain functionality.

He is now stable enough to get an MRI this afternoon to learn more about what’s going on as far as brain function.

We just have to continue to wait and pray, and in time all things will work together for God’s glory. We are so incredibly thankful for ALL of the prayers, love and support you all are showing to our family. I am blown away and overwhelmed with the love and support from the entire wrestling community at all levels, as well as all of our friends and family. Having you in our life is such an incredible blessing. Your texts, calls, messages and everything in between, are so uplifting! God is so SO good! Please do not stop praying for Rich.””

“God is SO good. I mean He truly is SO SO good those with heavy hearts, I urge you to lay them down and rejoice! Rejoice because God is a God of miracles and I know that may seem crazy for me to say right now, but I promise He is!

When we arrived at the hospital this morning the news was grim and not at all what we wanted to hear. They said Ri Ch Perry was too lethargic, not staying awake, and it concerned them that he was unable to talk at all. So, instead of allowing their prognosis to cause fear or chaos, I asked you all to pray and I am so grateful for all who did, because the day quickly turned around

Today Rich not only said, “I love you” THREE times, but he pulled me in for a hug and a kiss, he was holding Zekes hand and tickling his feet, he also rubbed Zeke’s back as I held him. He held my phone in his hand and watched a video of Mya and Beau and smiled when they said “I love you daddy.” Oh, there is so much more he did today! He took a marker and was doing all sorts of tricks with it in his hand, his same hand that earlier that morning he couldn’t even clench shut! When his teammates came to visit and pray over him, he said “Can I get an Amen?!” And before we left for the night he told me “Sweet Dreams!”

These may not sound like much to you, but I promise from when I first arrived and saw him, what he is doing now is absolutely incredible. ❤️ please continue to pray for his eyes to open and his strength to be renewed each day by the Lord.”

Regarding the accident:

From what I have heard - the accident occurred on a military base (Marines?) and happened during an exercise w/ what sounds like Pugil sticks. Apparently Richard was hit in the head by another wrestler on the team and his helmet broke/shattered and pieces from the helmet hit him in the eye area penetrating his skull. My information source is 3rd hand so any corrections are welcome.

Richard Perry is a wonderful person - praying he recovers 100%.

They did some kind of jousting.

The name of the other wrestler who caused that is known but honestly this is an extreme example of freak accident and I am sure he is enough in hell so please if others know him just dont post his name here. Thanks

More news about him:

Regarding the accident:

They did some kind of jousting.

The name of the other wrestler who caused that is known but honestly this is an extreme example of freak accident and I am sure he is enough in hell so please if others know him just dont post his name here. Thanks

Your post encouraged me to head over to themat forums.

It looks like many are discussing that it may have been a pugilist stick/jousting accident. Truly a one-in-a-billion type of accident. (i.e. Opponent hit Rich with the padded stick, helmet Rich was wearing broke/cracked, piece of helmet lodged into him).

Seems to be no misuse during the game. I just wonder if the helmet was old and had brittle plastic from age, use, and being in hot and dry conditions.

Back