Further proof that Lomachenko is the greatest athlete of his era

If people want to say they believe he is the most gifted, then fine, but thats not what defines "greatness" in the sport of boxing.
no, it's not, but that wasn't the point of this thread

Not everyone's definition of "athleticism" is the same or "era" for that matter. I don't know how many times this has had to be pointed out by others. Lomachenko doesn't fight as an explosive "power athlete" though he was certainly explosive as an amateur and has shown glimpses of this in some of his WSB & pro fights (ie., the Martinez fight was quite the contrast). That isn't what he usually showcases in the ring because his style doesn't revolve around it. The most obvious athletic attributes that I've observed in him are his freakish coordination & agility, cardio, balance and his speed & reflexes. He's more of an all-sport (multi-sport) athlete that's well balanced across the board. Sometimes he appears to be more of the gymnast type. The jury is still out on just how much power he has and strength because he doesn't tend to use these physical attributes like he does the rest when he fights (though in sparring he has dropped and knocked out much larger fighters; one being a large Middleweight with a single body shot, the placement wasn't what impressed the guy since he said it was the power of the shot). I do believe that a move up to Lightweight could bring this out of him in order to better compete with his future opponents' increased power and strength.

As a side note, with explosive/power athletes obviously PEDs can significantly enhance their athletic attributes. Great gains in speed, power & strength can be achieved as well as their cardio levels depending on what they're taking (sport-specific stacks for example). Coordination, agility, balance, ambidexterity & flexibility aren't a product of PEDs. For Lomachenko they're the result of years of competing in a large variety of sports as a youth, coming from quality genetic stock, dancing, and doing specific training exercises to develop and selectively hone these attributes (link at the bottom).

Summary: Lomachenko's athletic attributes that he's frequently shown are his coordination (motor & hand-eye), agility, ambidexterity, foot speed, hand speed, reflexes, cardio/endurance/stamina, balance & flexibility.

Here is a very interesting read. It's lengthy due to the amount of detail his father divulged. It reads like something out of a science fiction novel.
A father's touch: The relentless regimen of Vasyl Lomachenko

no, it's not, but that wasn't the point of this thread
I would assume the greatest athlete would also be considered the greatest in his respective sport, no? Don't act as though I've made some illogical leap here.

he most obvious athletic attributes that I've observed in him are his freakish coordination & agility, cardio, balance and his speed & reflexes. He's more of an all-sport (multi-sport) athlete that's well balanced across the board. Sometimes he appears to be more of the gymnast type.

That's I'm referring to. I believe that's what makes him a superior athlete to everyone. He can probably play multiple different sports and succeed. If he went into Hockey, which he claims he would've gone into had it not been for his dad, I'm sure he would've excelled there too.

Fighters that can push his kind of pace separate themselves from their peers at the highest. That's why he'll stop Mikey Garcia if they ever fight.

That's I'm referring to. I believe that's what makes him a superior athlete to everyone. He can probably play multiple different sports and succeed. If he went into Hockey, which he claims he would've gone into had it not been for his dad, I'm sure he would've excelled there too.

Fighters that can push his kind of pace separate themselves from their peers at the highest. That's why he'll stop Mikey Garcia if they ever fight.

It's well documented that he was a multi-sport athlete from a very young age until his early to mid teens. He was still boxing while he danced for four years after school. He had to make time to fit it all into his schedule which is covered in the ESPN training regimen I posted the link to. In an interview he did a couple years ago he listed all of the sports he'd competed in or dabbled in for recreational purposes. It's an extensive list of different sports, but, he was too young to be competing in them at a high level aside from the youth level. He was a regional youth Sambo champ but Sambo isn't as popular (or as difficult to make it to the top) as wrestling, Judo or boxing around the world.

It was either ice hockey or boxing for him and he chose boxing since his grandfather was a boxer along with his father. His mother was a gymnastics instructor. There are some documentaries on him out there and a DVD that explains a lot of this stuff. His father wrote down on a piece of paper how he planned to develop him as an athlete (specifically as a boxer) before he was even born.

Not everyone's definition of "athleticism" is the same or "era" for that matter. I don't know how many times this has had to be pointed out by others. Lomachenko doesn't fight as an explosive "power athlete" though he was certainly explosive as an amateur and has shown glimpses of this in some of his WSB & pro fights (ie., the Martinez fight was quite the contrast). That isn't what he usually showcases in the ring because his style doesn't revolve around it. The most obvious athletic attributes that I've observed in him are his freakish coordination & agility, cardio, balance and his speed & reflexes. He's more of an all-sport (multi-sport) athlete that's well balanced across the board. Sometimes he appears to be more of the gymnast type. The jury is still out on just how much power he has and strength because he doesn't tend to use these physical attributes like he does the rest when he fights (though in sparring he has dropped and knocked out much larger fighters; one being a large Middleweight with a single body shot, the placement wasn't what impressed the guy since he said it was the power of the shot). I do believe that a move up to Lightweight could bring this out of him in order to better compete with his future opponents' increased power and strength.

As a side note, with explosive/power athletes obviously PEDs can significantly enhance their athletic attributes. Great gains in speed, power & strength can be achieved as well as their cardio levels depending on what they're taking (sport-specific stacks for example). Coordination, agility, balance, ambidexterity & flexibility aren't a product of PEDs. For Lomachenko they're the result of years of competing in a large variety of sports as a youth, coming from quality genetic stock, dancing, and doing specific training exercises to develop and selectively hone these attributes (link at the bottom).

Summary: Lomachenko's athletic attributes that he's frequently shown are his coordination (motor & hand-eye), agility, ambidexterity, foot speed, hand speed, reflexes, cardio/endurance/stamina, balance & flexibility.

Here is a very interesting read. It's lengthy due to the amount of detail his father divulged. It reads like something out of a science fiction novel.

Ah, he dances as well? See, I told you he'd be an awesome musician as well, drums would be ideal.

I would assume the greatest athlete would also be considered the greatest in his respective sport, no? Don't act as though I've made some illogical leap here.
it was referencing a previous thread he had made on the same topic. He means athlete in the way RJJ is often referred too: maybe the greatest physical specimin boxing had ever seen, but not the greatest fighter.

it was referencing a previous thread he had made on the same topic. He means athlete in the way RJJ is often referred too: maybe the greatest physical specimin boxing had ever seen, but not the greatest fighter.

Well RJJ was actually the greatest fighter in the sport at the time he was considered a freak athlete also

Lomachenko has had 11 fucking fights...wtf is up with people

Well RJJ was actually the greatest fighter in the sport at the time he was considered a freak athlete also

Lomachenko has had 11 fucking fights...wtf is up with people
What I was saying is that Seano misread the context of this post. RJJ was never the GOAT. He was a great fighter and one of the best of his day, but he wasn't the GOAT. I'm not sure he's even the greatest of his era (IMO Hopkins overtook him).

I agree that Loma is overrated but he's clearly a freak athlete.

I agree with you. Loma would probably do well in most sports because of his athleticism. I am glad he picked boxing. What really has helped him are all those years of dancing and the drills he does for hand-eye coordination. The dancing lead to his great footwork. All of those drills have honed his ability to quickly spot openings and land punches with such great timing. Loma is truly a boxing phenom. A lot of the credit for his success has to go to his Dad's great coaching since his childhood.

I agree with you. Loma would probably do well in most sports because of his athleticism. I am glad he picked boxing. What really has helped him are all those years of dancing and the drills he does for hand-eye coordination. The dancing lead to his great footwork. All of those drills have honed his ability to quickly spot openings and land punches with such great timing. Loma is truly a boxing phenom. A lot of the credit for his success has to go to his Dad's great coaching since his childhood.

There you go.......

He's a fucking boxer, he could not do well in most sports at all, he chose boxing for a reason...stop being a fucking idiot

There you go.......

He's a fucking boxer, he could not do well in most sports at all, he chose boxing for a reason...stop being a fucking idiot

According to his dad he was destined to be a boxer before he was even born. He could have chose hockey apparently as well since he was that good. And he was pretty good at Sambo as a youngster. He chose boxing because that's what he wanted to be from a very young age. Nothing to do with him having a limited skill set or athletic ability.

He isn't the best athlete. He is an incredibly boxer though. Most of what is he does that is impressive is due to boxing IQ, not his athletic ability. He probably is average to maybe above average. He is craft but he isn't remotely close to someone like Roy Jones.

Back