fury road is overrated

?

• Total voters
Strange film. Both amazingly awesome and incredibly shit at the same time.

Effects and visuals - 10/10.

Plot and story - 2/10.

I generally don’t give a shit about action movies. They bore me.

But that...was a great action movie.

Wasn't overly impressed by it. If there is such a thing as too much action then Fury Road is a prime example, the choreography and stunts were top notch but it all got very repetitive and quite honestly a bit fucking boring after a while. My main issue really though was Tom Hardy. I know there are a hell of a lot of you romos in here who have a major hard-on for the guy but I just didn't buy him as Max Rockatansky, don't get me wrong he's a decent enough actor but he lacked the effortless cool of Gibson and just wasn't the right man to fill his boots. For me Mad Max 2 aka The Road Warrior is the only movie in the whole franchise which is a truly great movie, it's damn near perfect in fact and ranks as one of my absolute GOATs.
He didn’t really act like max does either.

Some suggest the timeline is in between mad max and the road warrior. But it still didn’t fit to me.

After I saw some theories that Tom hardy wasn’t Max Rockatansky, but actually the feral kid grown up I watched it again with that in mind, and you know what? It fit very well that way.

So when I watch it now, that’s how I imagine it, in the future from thunder dome and it’s the Ferrell kid grown up, trying to be like max.

I don’t remember in the movie but does he ever even tell anyone his name is max? I haven’t seen it in a while.

The action scenes are filmed in a unique way. They’re filmed really really well.

The dust storm scene is one of the greatest scenes ever.

What a synergy of light and sound.

He didn’t really act like max does either.

Some suggest the timeline is in between mad max and the road warrior. But it still didn’t fit to me.

After I saw some theories that Tom hardy wasn’t Max Rockatansky, but actually the feral kid grown up I watched it again with that in mind, and you know what? It fit very well that way.

So when I watch it now, that’s how I imagine it, in the future from thunder dome and it’s the Ferrell kid grown up, trying to be like max.

I don’t remember in the movie but does he ever even tell anyone his name is max? I haven’t seen it in a while.

He says it near the end

But yeah as you say he was very unlike the character Mel Gibson had already made such an icon. I guess Fury Road may have been more enjoyable for a new generation who hadn't grown up loving the original incarnation of Max but for me Hardy just wasn't the right choice... I think they should have went with another Aussie and my personal pick would've been Eric Bana.

I too heard those fan theories about this new "Max" being the grown up feral kid and I suppose it's a nice idea if it helps you to enjoy the movie more. It was put to George Miller but he said that this was definitely not the case though he was fine with people interpreting it however they fancied.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/11/02/fury-road-director-responds-to-the-mad-max-conspiracy-theory

overrated? if anything it is underrated. it is a modern cinema classic and one of the best action movies of all time. its also so insanely well shot, that it is gorgeous to watch in black and white.

watched it at least 20 times.

i can definitely understand thinking that the diversion to the desert tribe was a mistake, but i think the rest of the movie more than makes up for it. i don't even think the kids are that bad. the "'member this?" scene specifically is great.

i can also understand feeling like the way the movie brings Max back to Bartertown for the conclusion (and to Jedediah) is too contrived, but i don't see that as a huge problem and Bartertown is such a great setting that i'm happy to go back there for whatever reason.

as an aside, regarding the video i also think the idea of Tina Turner being in a Mad Max movie turns people off more than her actual performance and character, which i think were both excellent.

so much of the imagery that the general public associates with Mad Max comes from Thunderdome, and for good reason.

definitely the weakest of the series, but for me that just speaks to the quality of the series as a whole.

I think perhaps the biggest issue it has is that it feels like its reheating The Road Warrior, alot of the strength of the Mad Max series besides that I'd say is that each of the films is quite different in style to the previous one.

Someone mentioned the Blade Runner sequel and for me Fury Road shows you some of the weaknesses of the former, I mean I liked 2049 but I think it gets too caught up in its plotting and exposition at points, Fury Road rarely does that being willing to trust the audience to pick things up less directly.

the Mad Max franchise is one of my favorite film series, and in my opinion Fury Road is at the top. i think Thunderdome is really underrated and the whole series is great, and while i was hoping Fury Road would be good i was blown away when i saw it in the theater. and repeat viewings have definitely not changed my mind.

Fury Road and Blade Runner 2049 were better-than-they-should-be additions to franchises in my opinion, but i'm not surprised that others don't feel the same way.

Thunderdome was fantastic, although the second act was a bit dull.

Everything is over rated now a days because everything is so dissapointed gonna that went a half way decent film comes out people rave....Wonder Woman and Black Panther were over rated as well. Fury Road was such a simple concept....one big chase movie. Hardy was not a well fleshed out character at all. But the action was top notch.

He says it near the end

But yeah as you say he was very unlike the character Mel Gibson had already made such an icon. I guess Fury Road may have been more enjoyable for a new generation who hadn't grown up loving the original incarnation of Max but for me Hardy just wasn't the right choice... I think they should have went with another Aussie and my personal pick would've been Eric Bana.

I too heard those fan theories about this new "Max" being the grown up feral kid and I suppose it's a nice idea if it helps you to enjoy the movie more. It was put to George Miller but he said that this was definitely not the case though he was fine with people interpreting it however they fancied.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/11/02/fury-road-director-responds-to-the-mad-max-conspiracy-theory

I remember that now, the way he says it is almost like the first time he’s ever said it, and is like max yeah that’s it my name is max.

The way he says it is like he’s decided then, he’s going to be max.

It’s possible if it was the Ferrell kid he never had a name and that’s why he says it the way he does.

The music box scene makes it almost look like they were trying to make you think that also, even if they say they weren’t.

Edit: I made this post before I read your link, funny i put it exactly how they did.

Seems like it’s not hard to see it that way, and sometime writers do things, and say they aren’t what they really are in fear of backlash after the fact.

Would be interesting to know if that was the case.

Last edited:
I think perhaps the biggest issue it has is that it feels like its reheating The Road Warrior, alot of the strength of the Mad Max series besides that I'd say is that each of the films is quite different in style to the previous one.

Someone mentioned the Blade Runner sequel and for me Fury Road shows you some of the weaknesses of the former, I mean I liked 2049 but I think it gets too caught up in its plotting and exposition at points, Fury Road rarely does that being willing to trust the audience to pick things up less directly.
yeah, i think i would probably agree that the biggest issue with Thunderdome is the similarity of the second half to The Road Warrior. i think there's no lack of originality in the movie as a whole though, so i don't find it to be a big problem.

i don't know if someone else mentioned it, but i brought up Blade Runner 2049 earlier. 2049 and Fury Road both blew me away. not to digress too much, but the only problem i have with 2049 is that they shouldn't have revealed that Harrison Ford was back in all the marketing.

compared to what else was out that year (2015) i don't know how you can say that.

it was fresh and exciting.

2015 did have some decent flicks. sicario... the revenant....

There were three mad max movies originally, I was hoping this would have been a reboot for another trilogy instead of a stand alone film but looks like all hope is lost for that.

Weird too because it did well, and had a decent game come after it compared to most other movie games.

This piece of shit thread needs to go to Valhalla! All shiny and chrome!

Witness me brothers!

This piece of shit thread needs to go to Valhalla! All shiny and chrome!

Witness me brothers!
Can you imagine the look on the gods faces if one of them showed up at the gates with chrome spray paint all in thier grill?

They would be all

<36>

I liked what they tried to do making it pretty much an action fest from beginning to end but overall the movie didn't have much substance and never left much of an impression on me.

yeah, i think i would probably agree that the biggest issue with Thunderdome is the similarity of the second half to The Road Warrior. i think there's no lack of originality in the movie as a whole though, so i don't find it to be a big problem.

I'd agree it includes its share of original plot elements along with the recycled stuff but I think the issue is more than the overall style of the film is pretty similar to the Road Warror, besides that...

Max Max - Sparse hard nosed 70's road film

The Road Warrior - Grungy 80's apocalyptic action film

Fury Road - Grand modern fantasy film

When you look at it all those films actually have a lot of recycled plot elements in them but I don't think it stands out as much due to the differences in style, it is interesting especially with the first two as there only 2 years apart yet IMHO feel much further than that.

Honestly I tend to think this is the reason for the success of a lot of the best sequels, Terminator and T2, Starwars and Empire Strikes Back, Alien and Aliens, Back to the Future 1 & 2, all changed quite significantly in style.

Last edited:
Back