FX's LEGION (Season 3 Premieres June 24, 2019)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: March 15, 2017

Noah Hawley's Marvel Drama LEGION Renewed for a Second Season at FX

Legion-Dan-Stevens-Rachel-Keller-031517-Dragonlord.jpg

FX is staying in business with Marvel. The cable network has handed out a second-season renewal for Noah Hawley's twisted take on comic property Legion, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The series will return in 2018, with a formal episode count yet to be determined.

The series from the Fargo mastermind launched Feb. 8 to stellar reviews — FX notes that the drama starring Dan Stevens has a 93 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a Metacritic score of 82. No streaming or VOD data has been released yet, but the premiere cumed 4.4 million viewers and 2.4 million adults 18-49 (with an encore) once live-plus-three-day ratings came in. In Live+7, Legion is averaging 1.68 million viewers among adults 18-49 and 2.85 million total viewers. It ranks second in the demo and fourth in total viewers when compared with all new cable launches thus far in 2017.

"The first season of Legion was a stunning achievement,” FX president of original programming Eric Schrier said. “More than a new series, Legion is a wholly original take on the super hero genre. Our thanks to Noah Hawley for taking the creative risks and shattering expectations. It’s a privilege to work again with Noah, his producing partners, the outstanding cast and our partners at Marvel Television on another season of Legion.”

Unlike most Marvel TV fare, Hawley's Legion is focused less on the comic book mythology and more on the mental health issues that come with the powers of the show's central characters.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/legion-renewed-season-2-at-fx-986453

Update: January 16, 2017

LEGION Producer Says the Show is Separate from X-Men Movie Universe

Legion-Dan-Stevens-011617-Dragonlord.png

IGN: What are the challenges in having this other, larger X-Men franchise? Will this be within that universe, or are you making it separate?

Lauren Shuler Donner: "No, we're making it separate. We're our own world."

IGN: So even if it touches upon Xavier later, it's not the Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy versions?

Donner: "Yes, we're in a different world. Exactly."

IGN: Why go that route? Particularly because Matt Nix said his FOX X-Men project is a part of that world?

Donner: "Matt's is much more a part of just the world in terms of there are mutants, mutants are hated and there are Sentinels -- though very different from what we've seen before. You feel like you're here in the X-Men world. With Legion, we're our own universe. It gives Noah the freedom to do what he wants to do. Because we play with so many different timelines, and we rebooted and not really rebooted and all that, we felt like, OK, we're going to throw it out there and hope the fans accept it."

IGN: More in a creative sense, are you moving forward leaning more into the idea of having standalone story versus connecting everything in a larger cinematic universe?

Donner: "The cinematic universe will not worry about Legion. They will not worry about these TV worlds as all. They will just continue in the way that they have been continuing, and there is some great stuff that we are developing. I can just say it's going to be new and different, and yet Legion and our other show, we're not going to get in each other's way."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01...cer-on-how-xavier-fits-in-and-future-tv-plans

Update: July 23, 2016

First Trailer for LEGION Offers First Look at X-Men Spinoff

Legion-Trailer-072316-Dragonlord.jpg

FX released a sneak peek of their upcoming X-Men series Legion at Comic-Con on Saturday. Legion follows David Haller (played by Dan Stevens), a troubled young man who may be more than human. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and visions might be real.

In Marvel Comics canon, David is Professor Charles Xavier’s mutant son. Xavier has been portrayed by Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy in the X-Men franchise on the big screen, but the films have yet to introduce Haller into the cinematic universe.

The series also stars Rachel Keller, Jean Smart, Katie Aselton, Jeremie Harris, Amber Midthunder, along with Bill Irwin and Aubrey Plaza. Noah Hawley (Fargo) serves as an executive producer, along with Lauren Shuler Donner, Bryan Singer, Simon Kinberg, Jeph Loeb, Jim Chory, and John Cameron.

Legion, which is produced by FX Productions and Marvel Television, will debut its on FX in early 2017 with eight episodes.

Comic-Con: Trailer for FX’s ‘Legion’ Offers First Look at the 'X-Men' Spinoff Series

Update: January 15, 2016

Fox's X-Men Spinoff HELLFIRE Showrunners Exit to Reboot 24

Manny-Coto-Evan-Katz-Hellfire-Dragonlord.jpg

Fox's X-Men drama Hellfire is making a change at the top. Writers Evan Katz and Manny Coto, who co-created the drama, are exiting, THR has learned. Also out are Patrick McKay and John D. Payne, who came up the the story for the drama alongside Katz and Coto and were set to pen the script. A search is under way for a new writer.

The changes come as Hellfire is on a slower development track, insiders say. Hellfire, which previously was considered a live-action X-Men, follows a young special agent who learns that a power-hungry woman with extraordinary abilities is working with a clandestine society of millionaires — known as "The Hellfire Club" — to take over the world.

Sources say the X-Men drama is not likely to go to pilot this season as it remains on a slower track. The change comes as Katz and Coto are shifting their focus to Fox's 24: Legacy, which received a formal pilot orde. The new take on 24 will feature an entirely new cast with a diverse lead as Fox has high hopes to reboot the franchise for a new era.

The change at the top should not worry diehard fans of the X-Men franchise. Sources say Fox remains committed to Hellfire and wants to get it completely right as the X-Men franchise remains a valuable asset for the company.

Fox's 'X-Men' Spinoff Showrunners Exit to Reboot '24' (Exclusive)

Update: October 14, 2015

LEGION TV Series in the Works from Noah Hawley; HELLFIRE TV Series in Development

Hellfire-Club-Legion-Dragonlord.jpg

Marvel is expanding its reach to cable and a second broadcast network. The comic book powerhouse is teaming with FX and Fargo showrunner Noah Hawley to produce Legion, a pilot based on the comic character of the same name. Additionally, Marvel TV and Fox have put in development Hellfire, based on the Marvel comics group 'The Hellfire Club.'

The Legion pilot introduces the story of David Haller, a man who may be more than human and who has has struggled with mental illness since his teenage years. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real. In the comics, David is the son of X-Men founder Charles Xavier (aka Professor X) and Israeli Holocost survivor Gabrielle Haller. The character first appeared in New Mutants #25 in March 1985.

Legion hails from FX Productions and Marvel Television, with FXP overseeing production. Hawley, who has an overall with FXP, will write the pilot and serve as an executive producer alongside Lauren Shuler Donner, Bryan Singer, Simon Kinberg and Marvel Television topper Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory.

Meanwhile, Fox's Hellfire — which previously was considered a live-action X-Men — follows a young special agent who learns that a power-hungry woman with extraordinary abilities is working with a clandestine society of millionaires — known as "The Hellfire Club" — to take over the world.

The Marvel Television and 20th Century Fox TV co-production is co-created by 24's Evan Katz and Manny Coto, and Star Trek 3 duo Patrick McKay and John D. Payne. McKay and Payne will pen the script for Hellfire, based on a story by Katz, Coto, McKay and Payne. Donner, Singer, Kinberg, Loeb and Chory will executive produce alongside Katz and Coto, who will serve as showrunners.

Marvel Sets 'Legion' Pilot With Noah Hawley at FX, Readying 'Hellfire Club' for Fox

Update: October 6, 2014

Fox in Deep Development on a Live-Action X-MEN TV Series

X-Factor-David-Yardin-100614-Dragonlord.jpg

Bleeding Cool was the first to break the news that Supergirl was being brought to the small screen, and while they got the showrunner wrong, it wasn't long until it was confirmed that the series was heading to CBS. This time the site claims to have heard that a live-action X-Men series is also in development, something which makes perfect sense for Fox when they have a very successful TV network (which is currently airing Gotham). Unfortunately, the site doesn't have any details on who this show would focus on or anything else for that matter. Bryan Singer is no stranger to TV (House), so it seems likely he'll be involved.

And looks like soon it may be time to add X-Men to The Strain, The Walking Dead, Daredevil, Flash, Arrow, Constantine, Gotham, Powers, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, The Defenders, Agents Of SHIELD, Agent Carter, Supergirl and all the other comic book-based TV shows coming down the pipe. Over a decade ago, Marvel created the show Mutant X, but legal pressure from Fox saw them have to distance the show from the X-Men as much as possible.

[Update: According to some Tweet's from eatgeekplay.com's Shawn Madden, the plan is for this series to be based on Peter David's critically acclaimed X-Factor run, and he adds that, "The X-Factor series will definitely feature Jamie Madrox and be sort of like 'Fringe in the X-Men world.'"]

20th Century Fox in Deep Development on a Live-Action X-MEN TV Series

Comments: Absolutely love Peter David's X-Factor Investigations run. I can see an adaptation of that series working for the TV format. Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars, iZombie) would be perfect for that show.

Wasn't there a Generation X show or one shot that blew ass?

I would love to see a I've action Xmen show. There are so many characters and storylines, it fits the tv format better than film.

I would love to see a I've action Xmen show. There are so many characters and storylines, it fits the tv format better than film.

I can't possibly see how they'd OK sufficient budget to make it any good.

Since DOFP unfucked the movie franchise, I'm good with Singer taking it from there.

I can't possibly see how they'd OK sufficient budget to make it any good.

Since DOFP unfucked the movie franchise, I'm good with Singer taking it from there.

There are plenty of effects heavy shows these days. I think they could make it work.

And it sounds like Apocalypse might be the last movie.

Network TV is the worst. Everything looks cheap and comes off contrived. I would love to see an X-Men TV show with talented writers and a solid, albeit realistic special effects budget, but that is not going to happen. Ever.

Network TV is the worst. Everything looks cheap and comes off contrived. I would love to see an X-Men TV show with talented writers and a solid, albeit realistic special effects budget, but that is not going to happen. Ever.

I hate to say it, but Smallville was probably the best super hero television show we've ever had, and ultimately it wasn't very good.

It had flashes of brilliance trapped in clouds of toxic gas.

I'm mostly terrified of what network television would do to the X-Men.

I hate to say it, but Smallville was probably the best super hero television show we've ever had, and ultimately it wasn't very good.

It had flashes of brilliance trapped in clouds of toxic gas.

I'm mostly terrified of what network television would do to the X-Men.

I thought the first season of Heroes was good, too, but I agree 110%.
I'm picturing Heroes meets The Facts of Life.

Please no superhero shows. Especially where they have superpowers. It looks horrible with special effects, Arrow works because its supposed to be mildly realistic.

I'd be down - X-Factor Investigations?

Update:

According to some Tweet's from EatGeekPlay's Shawn Madden, the plan is for this series to be based on Peter David's critically acclaimed X-Factor run, and he adds that, "The X-Factor series will definitely feature Jamie Madrox and be sort of like 'Fringe in the X-Men world.'"

I'd be down - X-Factor Investigations?

Absolutely love Peter David's X-Factor Investigations run.

I can see an adaptation of that series working for the TV format. Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars, iZombie) would be perfect for that show.

Absolutely love Peter David's X-Factor Investigations run.

I can see an adaptation of that series working for the TV format. Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars, iZombie) would be perfect for that show.

SERIOUSLY hope this becomes a reality.

Sweet. Multiple man. I wonder who else?

Update: October 8, 2014

Rumor: X-MEN Live-Action TV Series to Possibly Star Quicksilver

X-Men-Quicksilver-Running-Wall-Dragonlord.jpg

Rumors hit the Internet earlier this week at that Fox has in the works a live action television series meant to tie into their X-Men film universe. Now more rumors claiming to contain further details about some possible directions for this television series have shown up online at Film Divider. The report outlines three distinct possibilities.

The first is a series starring the surprise breakout character of Days of Future Past, Quicksilver, who they see as popular enough to draw viewers to the series without throwing away a potential movie grade character. This makes perfect sense given his star-making turn in Days of Future Past, not to mention Evan Peters' career bringing him back and forth between TV and movie work. What is unknown is if considering Quicksilver means the show would be a period piece, if the role would be recast, or if there's some other trick that could be pulled.

Another possibility is that the series will star Jamie Madrox. Presumably, this would be based on his tenure as head of X-Factor investigation, setting the show up to be a mutant version of Angel. Lastly, Fox is reportedly looking at a female-led show, since a female superhero series might stand out in a genre with pretty severe gender disparity. Keep in mind that there has still not been any official acknowledgement of this project on Fox's part, so this is all just speculation and rumor for the time being.

Quicksilver and a Female Lead Could Be Planned for the X-MEN/X-FACTOR TV Series

At this point, if they're basing any show/film off of Quicksilver, it'd be based off of the popularity of DoFP's Quicksilver. So if you change the actor, you ruin the whole premise.

Now, I know that Marvel is going to have Kickass play Quicksilver in their version. Which, honestly, might be one of the few situations where I prefer Fox's version to theirs.

Update: October 8, 2014

Rumor: X-MEN Live-Action TV Series to Possibly Star Quicksilver

X-Men-Quicksilver-Running-Wall-Dragonlord.jpg

Rumors hit the Internet earlier this week at that Fox has in the works a live action television series meant to tie into their X-Men film universe. Now more rumors claiming to contain further details about some possible directions for this television series have shown up online at Film Divider. The report outlines three distinct possibilities.

The first is a series starring the surprise breakout character of Days of Future Past, Quicksilver, who they see as popular enough to draw viewers to the series without throwing away a potential movie grade character. This makes perfect sense given his star-making turn in Days of Future Past, not to mention Evan Peters

I take back my previous comments. I could get behind an X Factor tv show.

Back