G4's Top 100 GOAT Games as of 2012

With these lists, there needs to be a difference between games you'd want to play right now, and games that were extremely influential at the time and are now looked back with a nostalgic perspective.

Would anyone want to play Pong now for longer than 15 minutes? How about Super Mario Bros?

With these lists, there needs to be a difference between games you'd want to play right now, and games that were extremely influential at the time and are now looked back with a nostalgic perspective.

Would anyone want to play Pong now for longer than 15 minutes? How about Super Mario Bros?

That would kind of defeat the purpose of an "all-time" list.

Seems like the list is geared towards more influential titles, but then you get to Bioshock at #3.

Super Mario 64, the game that essentially taught the industry how to make 3D games work....#41

Damn son. Then again, I remember X-Play giving GOTY to Fable 2 over Fallout 3, so this list isn't too surprising, I suppose.

<34>

GIF-1-207.gif

Goldeneye is above DoomI/II

original.gif

Seriously it is.

Quotoutgrew+gamingquot+_623298e48255c74cf9c328732a90d544.gif

Goldeneye...

tenor.gif

Above....

13739874867.gif

DOOM I/II

wpid-data-laughs-o.gif

Also, the Half Life Series isnt even in the top 15 and Elder Scrolls doesnt make the top 30. Oh, Cormier.gif.

GIF-1-207.gif

Goldeneye is above DoomI/II

original.gif

Seriously it is.

Quotoutgrew+gamingquot+_623298e48255c74cf9c328732a90d544.gif

Goldeneye...

tenor.gif

Above....

13739874867.gif

DOOM I/II

wpid-data-laughs-o.gif

Well....in all honesty, an argument can be made. For all the good Doom did, it was essentially just a re-skinned Wolfenstein, which if we're talking about influence, should be above both, but I would personally put Goldeneye over Doom in some respects.

Before Goldeneye, FPS's for consoles, were like platformers for PC's. Few and far between, with the ones on them being shit, or shitty ports. Both had the same problem. The controls. A keyboard sucked for platformers, and a control pad sucked for shooters. Goldeneye changed that problem for consoles. It revolutionized that portion industry, and broke the door down. Without it, it's hard to say if the industry would've ever figured it out, and if the game that truly busted the door wide open, Halo, would've even be conceived for a console.

Where I would give Doom the nod, is in how it's aged better. I can still pick up and play Doom in it's original form, and have fun with it. Not so much with Goldeneye, as it's then revolutionary control scheme has been refined, and greatly improved upon. Playing it today on the N64, and it's hard to imagine how we ever played it in the first place, with it's one analog stick. It's level design ain't exactly the tightest either.

Well....in all honesty, an argument can be made. For all the good Doom did, it was essentially just a re-skinned Wolfenstein, which if we're talking about influence, should be above both, but I would personally put Goldeneye over Doom in some respects.

Before Goldeneye, FPS's for consoles, were like platformers for PC's. Few and far between, with the ones on them being shit, or shitty ports. Both had the same problem. The controls. A keyboard sucked for platformers, and a control pad sucked for shooters. Goldeneye changed that problem for consoles. It revolutionized that portion industry, and broke the door down. Without it, it's hard to say if the industry would've ever figured it out, and if the game that truly busted the door wide open, Halo, would've even be conceived for a console.

Where I would give Doom the nod, is in how it's aged better. I can still pick up and play Doom in it's original form, and have fun with it. Not so much with Goldeneye, as it's then revolutionary control scheme has been refined, and greatly improved upon. Playing it today on the N64, and it's hard to imagine how we ever played it in the first place, with it's one analog stick. It's level design ain't exactly the tightest either.

I understand how Goldeneye brought the fps to the console, multiplayer included. It certainly puts it it lofty heights as far as all time games go, but everything it did, ID software had done earlier and done it better. Imo, it's just no contest. Even to this day the name is legendary. Goldeneye is certainly great, but it's accomplishment was bringing something already achieved to a platform yet to experience it. Generally speaking Doom series gets out ahead of the Wolfe stein series for its setting and being popular enough to revolutionize the industry.

I understand how Goldeneye brought the fps to the console, multiplayer included. It certainly puts it it lofty heights as far as all time games go, but everything it did, ID software had done earlier and done it better. Imo, it's just no contest. Even to this day the name is legendary. Goldeneye is certainly great, but it's accomplishment was bringing something already achieved to a platform yet to experience it. Generally speaking Doom series gets out ahead of the Wolfe stein series for its setting and being popular enough to revolutionize the industry.

Yeah, it's certainly debatable.

Aside from everything else, the funny thing I find about Goldeneye is that it's such an anomaly. It just shouldn't have worked. Not only was it a FPS on a console that played well, but it was also a movie license game. Not too many of those revolutionary movie license games floating around.

Back