Gabe Newell says Valve is developing games again

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
PC Gamer > Gabe Newell: 'Hooray! Valve's going to start shipping games again'
PC Gamer said:
Valve was "jealous of Nintendo," now has the expertise to "develop hardware and software simultaneously."

Gabe Newell gives a presentation at Valve about upcoming card game Artifact.

At a presentation for upcoming Dota 2-themed card game Artifact at Valve's offices in Bellevue, Washington today, Gabe Newell reiterated that Valve is getting back into developing new games beyond its current roster of multiplayer titles. After talking about Valve's focus on Steam and hardware during the past several years, which he described as "an investment in the future", Newell said "Artifact is the first of several games that are going to be coming from us. So that's sort of good news. Hooray! Valve's going to start shipping games again."

That's games, plural: Artifact isn't the only game Valve is working on. In a January 2017 Reddit AMA, Newell did confirm that Valve was working on at least one fully-fledged singleplayer game. And the following month, in roundtable interviews with PC Gamer, Newell said that Valve was working on "three big VR games." Today's statement doesn't make it 100 percent clear whether Valve has projects in development beyond these previously mentioned games, but it is a possibility. "We aren't going to be talking about it today," Newell said, "but sort of the big thing, the new arrow we have in our quiver, really, is our ability to develop hardware and software simultaneously."

Newell gave some background on Valve's projects from the last few years, like SteamVR and the Vive headset, explaining that the company was worried about the PC heading in the direction of an iPhone-esque closed ecosystem. "You can see that Microsoft was like, wow, how can we make Windows more like that? Or Zuckerberg is saying, 'well I tried to compete in the phones, I got my ass kicked, so I'm going to create this new thing, VR, which will allow me to recreate the kind of closed, high margin ecosystem that Apple's done.' And that really started to worry us, because we thought that the strength of the PC is about its openness … So we started to make some investments to offset that."

"We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo."
Gabe Newell

Those investments, Newell said, meant they hadn't released a new game since Dota 2—but that work wasn't wasted time. "The positive thing about the Vive is, in addition to making sure that nobody created an iOS closed platform for it, was also that it gave us the opportunity to develop our in-house expertise in hardware design. Five years ago, we didn't have electrical engineers and people who know how to do robots. Now there's pretty much no project in the hardware space that we wouldn't be comfortable taking on. We can design chips if we need to, we can do industrial design, and so on. So that added to that."

With Valve's new hardware chops, it seems like we can expect more than new games from the company. "We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo," Newell said. "When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."
oHdKb4ujUU9rXsEHYMDRzE.jpg

Gamespot > Valve Has Several Games In Development
Half-Life 3 isn't confirmed yet, but at least we can dream again.
Gamespot said:
Valve boss Gabe Newell has signaled an end to the company's long hiatus. At a talk yesterday, the president said the company is "going to start shipping games again." He also opened up about why the pace of its releases slowed down so much, and what's changed since then.

The presentation (via PC Gamer) was centered mostly on Artifact, the Dota 2-themed card game announced last year. But he made sure to point out that it's not the only game on Valve's slate. He explicitly said that it's "the first of several games" coming from the studio. Since the release of Dota 2, Valve's gaming efforts have been focused mostly on supporting it and Team Fortress 2.

As for why Valve moved away from games, Newell frankly said he was concerned about PCs becoming more of a closed system. He said his investments into Vive were an effort to "offset" the impact of Microsoft and Facebook looking into OS and VR concepts that the company considered less open. The result has been a newly revised Valve that he says feels comfortable in hardware design as well as software. Newell hinted that may impact how they treat their game designs going forward.

"We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo," Newell said. "When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."

As for the identity of these mystery projects, Newell was much more tight-lipped. He did say in a Reddit AMA in January that they're working on a single-player game. He's also mentioned three more VR games on the way. That's four more in addition to Artifact, with a notable focus on custom hardware, so those could be the games he was referring to. Either way, though, it sounds like Valve is back in the games business.
So they're developing 3-4 games right now. They're also playing around with VR for Half-Life 2 although they're saying this doesn't currently have a commercial ambition or strategy, yet.

LOL, he's never going to stop stringing us along. Gabe is going to go to his grave as the greatest troll who ever lived.

Last edited:
VALVE RELEASES FIRST DETAILS ABOUT ARTIFACT
$

IGN said:
BY SAM STEWART Valve announced the first details about Artifact, the Dota 2 card game, in a closed doors presentation today.

Valve President Gabe Newell sat down with members of the games press to reveal the first details about Artifact, the digital card game that was announced during last year's International. The presentation contained a wealth of information about the upcoming game, most important of which is that the game will not be free-to-play like many of its competitors.

The game will feature high production values, novel mechanics (such as a "shopping phase"), and an AI that teaches the player how to play. Newell also stated that opening packs and building your deck will be "a social and competitive experience". Additionally, Artifact will feature a marketplace and workshop, much like the one that Dota 2 players can use to buy and sell in-game items.

Newell also clarified that Artifact is not a Dota 2 card game, but rather a game that uses Dota as a base because of convenience. He went on to say that Artifact will create a lot of content for Dota 2, including "new heroes that will appear in Dota". Much like Dota, Newell says Artifact will not have a single-player campaign, but rather focus on how to play human opponents.

Artifact is currently in closed beta, available only to industry members and TCG professionals. The presentation revealed that Artifact will be released to the public by the end of 2018, with the first tournament in Q1 2019. The game will hit iOS and Android in mid-2019 and will be the first Source 2 title to run on mobile devices.

No exact release date or price was set for Artifact, but details are still coming in.
Some video if you follow the link, and more screenshots like the following:

$

{<jordan}

Ive seen that headline many a time.

Lets face it, who gives a shit about card games. Give the people the 3.

Five years ago, we didn't have electrical engineers and people who know how to do robots. Now there's pretty much no project in the hardware space that we wouldn't be comfortable taking on. We can design chips if we need to, we can do industrial design, and so on. So that added to that."

With Valve's new hardware chops, it seems like we can expect more than new games from the company. "We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo," Newell said. "When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."

All this to waste it on a card game?

Gotta get that Hearthstone money.

Who cares about the card game?

Have they ever explained why they left Half-Life hanging for so long?

Half Life 3..... don't see how any game in history could live up to that level of hype.

Valve is the ultimate "Blue Balls" company in the gaming industry.

The release killer franchises: Half Life, Left for Dead, Portal... but never continue what are obviously enormously successful franchises.

The original Half Life is what got me to purchase my first real video card (Voodoo 2)

Another card game? Goddamnit, Valve.

If Artifact is the first software / physical TCG? They will make billions. If they add in augmented / virtual reality aspects? They will make billions.

If I can buy a deck of cards, bring it home, scan them with a webcam (or even front cam on Vive) and begin playing them in a virtual deck, with animations, and various effects that compliment what I'm physically doing with my hand / card? This is a huge, huge step towards the future.

The original Half Life is what got me to purchase my first real video card (Voodoo 2)

3DFX man, so classic. Quake 2 was the game that forced me to start building my own computers. Voodoo 1-2 were so amazing back in the day, I think they were the first cards that let me game at 800x600.

If Artifact is the first software / physical TCG? They will make billions. If they add in augmented / virtual reality aspects? They will make billions.

If I can buy a deck of cards, bring it home, scan them with a webcam (or even front cam on Vive) and begin playing them in a virtual deck, with animations, and various effects that compliment what I'm physically doing with my hand / card? This is a huge, huge step towards the future.

i'll pass on having a giant tv with great resolution sitting around while i strap a pair of tiny screens to my face... especially to play a card game. i can play cards in real life just fine...

I just want Left 4 Dead 3

Can't believe it's been almost 10 years since the 2nd one came out. If they focused on competitive multiplayer like CS, it would become the next big eSports title. There's no single game out there that combines FPS with RPG-esque ability characters like L4D does. They could also just as easily add skins to it like CS and print money that way too.

Back