Gaethje is a good fighter and deserves respect

GriffinLHWChamp

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Im not sure what anyone expected from him. The guy is a warrior and fights with balls of steel and always said sooner or later he would get knocked out the way he fights. I dont understand the reactionary laughing hyenas on the sidelines who get so excited to rub it in when a fighter losses.

I didnt hear many people hyping Gaethje an unbeatable force at 155 or over hyping him. To me he is a clear top 10 lightweight who is one of the most exciting fighters in the sport... however when I see the forums I see topics like "Gaethje proving their are levels to this game" and "Gaethje proving UFC level fighter means something".

Ive been watching MMA a long time now. This isnt boxing. Guys fight high quality talent and virtually everyone racks up losses. Even the biggest names have Ls on their record. When I watched Poirer and Gaethje I clearly think Poirer was the better man however I also saw a highly competative match.

Much props to Justin hea one of the toughest fighters in the sport but hes not on the surging Poirers level yet. Why the need to trash Gaethje? I have no idea. If you thought again that be was some ultra hyped fighter who was supposed to be the next coming of legend in the UFC well.. you werent paying attention. Gaethje is a borderline contender and top 10 lightweight for sure and after the loss he still is.

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.- DANA "DON" WHITE

May Gaethje remain forever a disciple.

HAIL!

2ia4lea.jpg

Im not sure what anyone expected from him. The guy is a warrior and fights with balls of steel and always said sooner or later he would get knocked out the way he fights. I dont understand the reactionary laughing hyenas on the sidelines who get so excited to rub it in when a fighter losses.

I didnt hear many people hyping Gaethje an unbeatable force at 155 or over hyping him. To me he is a clear top 10 lightweight who is one of the most exciting fighters in the sport... however when I see the forums I see topics like "Gaethje proving their are levels to this game" and "Gaethje proving UFC level fighter means something".

Ive been watching MMA a long time now. This isnt boxing. Guys fight high quality talent and virtually everyone racks up losses. Even the biggest names have Ls on their record. When I watched Poirer and Gaethje I clearly think Poirer was the better man however I also saw a highly competative match.

Much props to Justin hea one of the toughest fighters in the sport but hes not on the surging Poirers level yet. Why the need to trash Gaethje? I have no idea. If you thought again that be was some ultra hyped fighter who was supposed to be the next coming of legend in the UFC well.. you werent paying attention. Gaethje is a borderline contender and top 10 lightweight for sure and after the loss he still is.

I essentially agree he's a tough as nailz fighter with one gear "forward" that can work well in WSOF but in the UFC with more polished & finished guys walking forward with neck in brace movement is target practice for good strikers and it makes it easier to time his chop kicks.

I think he's a good fighter but he needz to show more fight IQ and add a couple of tricks & toolz to his gym bag...

he's good but he could be great, it's frustrating to watch someone so talented abandon his roots

Amen. I've been saying it forever. Gaethje is one of the most exciting fighters in the world and always brings it. Shows a true warrior spirit. Not everyone is going to be champ in the UFC. Being top 10 in the most competitive division in the UFC is nothing to be ashamed of. Every fight this dude is in is FOTN and possibly FOTY candidate yet people always want to try to bring him down and shit on him for whatever reason.

I know it's Sherdog and filled with keyboard warriors who shit on anything but come on, don't we enjoy good exciting fights? Gaethje is arguably the most exciting fighter or at the very least the most consistent at being in insane barnburners.

He's also not a cocky douchebag and always admitted he would get KO'd the way he fought eventually. How many of these guys admit that? They all think they are the best in the world and unstoppable.

I do wish he would switch it up and incorporate his wrestling and better boxing defense but he's just a madman with a true warrior spirit and goes out on his shield. Nothing but respect for that.

War Gaethje, I'm a fan for life. Not everybody is going to become champ, he's like a better Chris Lytle and MMA needs people/fighters like that.

you'll likely see some wrestling next time around .. Best em up on the ground + leg kicks, and then go back to being a slugger .. First make sure balls in your court first !!

what i dont like is the rookie ass eye pokes he was handing out .. His reactions to them, and then his reaction to when dustin poked him

if he mixes it up he'll be more dominant .. Abandon full onslaught of slug fest and start making champion decisions. !!

And he's smart. Not like everybody says. Like dumb. He's smart and he deserves respect.

Im still a fan of his work, but he can do a lot more with his skills and determination.

Hoping to outlast your opponent by absorbing more damage than he isn't a fight strategy... it's a lack of one.
That being said I like Gaethge; he doesn't need to be so eager to please fans at the expense of a sound plan to win.

Amen. I've been saying it forever. Gaethje is one of the most exciting fighters in the world and always brings it. Shows a true warrior spirit. Not everyone is going to be champ in the UFC. Being top 10 in the most competitive division in the UFC is nothing to be ashamed of. Every fight this dude is in is FOTN and possibly FOTY candidate yet people always want to try to bring him down and shit on him for whatever reason.

I know it's Sherdog and filled with keyboard warriors who shit on anything but come on, don't we enjoy good exciting fights? Gaethje is arguably the most exciting fighter or at the very least the most consistent at being in insane barnburners.

He's also not a cocky douchebag and always admitted he would get KO'd the way he fought eventually. How many of these guys admit that? They all think they are the best in the world and unstoppable.

I do wish he would switch it up and incorporate his wrestling and better boxing defense but he's just a madman with a true warrior spirit and goes out on his shield. Nothing but respect for that.

War Gaethje, I'm a fan for life. Not everybody is going to become champ, he's like a better Chris Lytle and MMA needs people/fighters like that.

i don't want him to switch it up, his style made me a fan. I don't want him to give that up to try and become the best ever etc. If he keeps putting on exciting fights, he'll be in the UFC regardless because they need guys like him and he'll rack up infinite bonuses. He'll be just fine. Maybe his brain won't make it another 10 years of fighting like this, but, if he does this for the next 3-4 he can make a lot of money and move on to other shit.

Gaethje is a warrior, mad respect for him.

Yeah Gaethje is a bit of an anomaly, one would assume he would be the ultimate fan favourite because of his style but I think a lot of fans are recognizing that his style and approach to fighting isn't the most practical or intelligent. It even has me questioning myself and what I want to see inside the octagon, do I want to support an athlete with absolutely no regard for his health totally willing to eat 150 strikes just to entertain me? Is that respectable or just stupid? Can stupid be respectable? Do I get more enjoyment and entertainment from an intelligent fighter with great movement and strategy? To be completely honest I am not even sure anymore.

Gaethje reminds me of Diego Sanchez. Tough fighter who doesn't have high fight iq.

Never seen someone blocking punches with his head before.
He needs to retire if he doesnt change his game

Dude is exciting... another awesome fight. But at sometime you have to fight smart when you want that UFC Belt.

I haven't seen anybody disrespect him. What's the point of this thread?

I initially gave him too little credit and predicted Michael Johnson by first round KO.

Now I find it hard not to root for the guy every time, would love to see him matched up with Pettis next.

Back