GAMBIT Movie (Gore Verbinski No Longer Directing; Lizzy Caplan Joins Cast)

My little brother always liked Gambit when we were kids so naturally I thought he was lame. I think Tatum could pull off the accent though - he had a southern accent in Logan Lucky that was pretty good.

I think Craig as Sinister would be awesome.

call me crazy, but Tatum's face/cheeks look to fat to be Gambit (from what I can remember in the cartoons). I like Craig overall, but I still think Mark Strong should be Sinister, bad teeth and all

MITHTER THINITHTER???

giphy.gif

Is it racist to make all Asians teleporters?
Only if you explain it by saying they're good at making the trajectory calculations.

Gore Verbinski is an interesting choice. I guess that means this movie has a higher profile than I thought.

Update: October 12, 2017

20th Century Fox Announces February 14, 2019 Release Date for GAMBIT

7SxUPE0.png

20th Century Fox‘s X-Men spinoff Gambit now has a release date – February 14, 2019. The only other release that Valentine’s Day is New Line’s Isn’t It Romantic.

It was recently reported that Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski was in talks for Gambit. The film is set to star Magic Mike‘s Channing Tatum as the titular mutant from New Orleans.

In the Gambit adaptation, Channing Tatum will star in a role he has been vying for for some time. It was previously reported he would be joined by Lea Seydoux as the female lead of the film, Bella Donna Boudreaux, the daughter of the leader of the New Orleans Assassins’ Guild and Remy LeBeau’s first love, though her status is unknown.

Created by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee in 1990, Gambit, a New Orleans native mutant, quickly became a fan favorite due to his kinetic energy manipulation abilities and penchant for stealing. The character’s only big screen appearance to date (outside his name being featured as an Easter egg in X2) was in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, played by Taylor Kitsch.

In addition to having Gambit on the way, Fox has New Mutants coming out on April 13, 2018, Deadpool 2 on June 1, 2018 and X-Men: Dark Phoenix on November 2, 2018.

20th Century Fox Announces February 14, 2019 Release Date for 'Gambit' Movie Starring Channing Tatum

Update: October 12, 2017

20th Century Fox Announces February 14, 2019 Release Date for GAMBIT

7SxUPE0.png

20th Century Fox‘s X-Men spinoff Gambit now has a release date – February 14, 2019. The only other release that Valentine’s Day is New Line’s Isn’t It Romantic.

It was recently reported that Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski was in talks for Gambit. The film is set to star Magic Mike‘s Channing Tatum as the titular mutant from New Orleans.

In the Gambit adaptation, Channing Tatum will star in a role he has been vying for for some time. It was previously reported he would be joined by Lea Seydoux as the female lead of the film, Bella Donna Boudreaux, the daughter of the leader of the New Orleans Assassins’ Guild and Remy LeBeau’s first love, though her status is unknown.

Created by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee in 1990, Gambit, a New Orleans native mutant, quickly became a fan favorite due to his kinetic energy manipulation abilities and penchant for stealing. The character’s only big screen appearance to date (outside his name being featured as an Easter egg in X2) was in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, played by Taylor Kitsch.

In addition to having Gambit on the way, Fox has New Mutants coming out on April 13, 2018, Deadpool 2 on June 1, 2018 and X-Men: Dark Phoenix on November 2, 2018.

20th Century Fox Announces February 14, 2019 Release Date for 'Gambit' Movie Starring Channing Tatum
Dark Phoenix?
Am I the only one who DOESN"T want to see this again? Especially from FOX...
Unless they're doing the whole M'Kran crystal/Shi'ar empire thing, I don't want to see it.
I also don't really see Sophie Turner being a good enough actress to pull off a crazy Dark Phoenix

Update: November 20, 2017

MASTERS OF SEX Star Lizzy Caplan Joining Channing Tatum in GAMBIT

2RdhBHe.jpg

Lizzy Caplan is in talks to join the cast of Gambit, Variety has learned. The Masters of Sex star will play the female lead in the superhero movie. Details of her part are being kept under wraps.

The X-Men spinoff stars Channing Tatum as Gambit, a ragin’ Cajun whose ability to control kinetic energy enables him to weaponize playing cards and other projectiles. He’s also pretty handy with a bō staff. In the comics, Gambit was a member of the Thieves Guild before joining the X-Men.

Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski will slide behind the camera on the film. It’s eyeing a Feb. 14, 2019 debut. Fox is releasing the film as part of its continued expansion of the cinematic mutant universe.

Gambit is ramping up as Fox continues to expand its X-Men film universe. 2018 sees the release of New Mutants (April 13), Deadpool 2 (June 1) and X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Nov. 2).

Caplan is an Emmy nominee for Masters of Sex, the acclaimed Showtime drama about sex researchers that aired from 2013 to 2016. Her film credits include Cloverfield, 127 Hours, Now You See Me 2, and Allied. Her upcoming projects include the mini-series Das Boot and Extinction, a science-fiction thriller film with Michael Pena.

'Masters of Sex' Star Lizzy Caplan Joining Channing Tatum in X-Men Spinoff ‘Gambit’ (Exclusive)

call me crazy, but Tatum's face/cheeks look to fat to be Gambit (from what I can remember in the cartoons). I like Craig overall, but I still think Mark Strong should be Sinister, bad teeth and all
I think part of that is because Gambit is always wearing that thing that has like the dark spandex that comes up his neck and the side of his face to frame it. Always made his face look super thin.

Even Lizzy Caplan's not sure about this.

Lizzy_Caplan.jpg

She's a Kat Dennings level actor (without the finer points of Kat Dennings ofc). I mostly know her from NOW YOU SEE ME 2 but she didn't seem much more authentic in the brief scenes I've seen of MASTERS OF SEX. Mostly, she gives me the impression that she's conspicuously not Emmy Rossum nor Rashida Jones.

Update: January 11, 2018

GAMBIT Gets New Release, Loses Third Director as Gore Verbinski Exits Project

j0um0OU.jpg

Gore Verbinski, who had come aboard to direct the long-in-the-works X-Men spinoff Gambit, is pulling off of the 20th Century Fox movie. This was an amicable split, we hear, owing to scheduling issues with several other projects on the director’s plate. Channing Tatum remains aboard as the lead role.

It is the latest turn on the project, which at previous points had Doug Liman and Rupert Wyatt attached to direct the pic about Gambit/Remy LeBeau (Tatum), who has the ability to charge matter with volatile kinetic energy, turning anything he touches into a weapon. The character had a brief appearance in 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine, played by Taylor Kitsch.

Gambit is seeing its release date move from Feb. 14, 2019, to June 7, 2019. But studio insiders believe the project, which is described as having a heavy comedic tone revolving around a heist, will do better as a summer Marvel movie.

Free Association’s Tatum and Reid Carolin are producing the film with X-Men overseers Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg. Josh Zetumer wrote the script. Lizzy Caplan was in talks to co-star.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/gambit-movie-gore-verbinski-leaves-director-1202240851/

anger-gif-9.gif

20th Century Fox has moved the dates for three of its upcoming stand-alone movies based on Marvel’s X-Men franchise. The moves come after Gore Verbinksi pulled out of directing Gambit, the Channing Tatum-starring pic. No new director is set yet, and now it moves off its February 14, 2019 release date to June 7, 2019.

Deadpool 2, meanwhile, is moving into May, with its release date changing from June 1, 2018 to May 18, positioning itself ahead of the tentpole-rich Memorial Day weekend rather than after it.

Fox also said today that The New Mutants moves from April 13 of this year to February 22, 2019, nearer to where Gambit had been set.

Last edited:
So who's next? I imagine aside from the director everything else should be ready to go...

Update: January 11, 2018

GAMBIT Loses Third Director as Gore Verbinski Exits Project Due to Schedule Conflict

9BArMGU.jpg

Gore Verbinski, who had come aboard to direct the long-in-the-works X-Men spinoff Gambit, is pulling off of the 20th Century Fox movie. This was an amicable split, we hear, owing to scheduling issues with several other projects on the director’s plate. Channing Tatum remains aboard as the lead role.

Fox has already set a February 14, 2019 release date for the film; no word if that will have to change given the new news.

It is the latest turn on the project, which at previous points had Doug Liman and Rupert Wyatt attached to direct the pic about Gambit/Remy LeBeau (Tatum), who has the ability to charge matter with volatile kinetic energy, turning anything he touches into a weapon. The character had a brief appearance in 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine, played by Taylor Kitsch.

Free Association’s Tatum and Reid Carolin are producing the film with X-Men overseers Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg. Josh Zetumer wrote the script. Lizzy Caplan was in talks to co-star.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/gambit-movie-gore-verbinski-leaves-director-1202240851/

This. Movie. Never. Gets. Made.

Seems like a bad sign. I feel like they'll probably settle for a lesser director now instead of holding out for someone of Verbinski or Liman's caliber.

Yea bad signs when a big movie like this gets repeated problems and delays if it was 'hot shit' it would have been made already but me thinks we don't have gold on our hands not even close.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Channing Tatum as Gambit.

Why not the dude from the the Wolverine origin story?

lol, who ever liked Cyclops? They turned him into a badass later on, but in the Clairmont (IMO glory) days he was a pantywaist.

You're probably right though.
god damn right...". if you have a friend who likes cyclops then you have a bad friend. " - angry pat

but anyway. yeah... i have a bad feeling about this. not only am i nervous and super skeptical about tatum as gambit but this many directors jumping ship is a bad sign.
also if he dosent have some contact lenses of fucked up looking black/ red eyes. im gonna be mad... go ahead and make him the hot dreamy bad boy but i need to see those eyes. red on black.... if not... they fucked up from the start just like the last time.

Back