Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

their shipping is allll over the place. i'm a day away (ie: next day delivery via fedex and lasership*) from their jersey location. but a component i ordered last week still never arrived (dhl sent it to maryland for some reason). it's slated for saturday, which doesn't really make any damn sense no matter how it's looked at.

*lasership can make it here within the SAME day of ordering... but they were often insane/lazy/thieving/lying bastards.

i'm also going through a wacky RMA process with them right now, so it's hard to actually recommend newegg. but their prices are generally good. haha
Lol that makes no sense.

Damn hopefully that's not the case for me, im seeing my shipment has three different parts being shipped from three different locations, pennsylvania, and two different locations in california.

But like you said, cannot be the price. I'm not paying 30 bucks extra for the ram and cpu lol.

Sounds like the shipping mistake was a one off.

It was.

Do miss the days of when NewEgg used UPS. That driver knew the packages were for me. Would hide them near my apartment door. An if it was raining and or expecting to rain. He would wrap them in a clear garbage bag.

@tehJameson

if there's a microcenter near you, they're worth checking out. they're pretty awesome. and last i looked (ie: ~1 week ago), their prices were about as good or better than anywhere, except for GPUs (and they still had some killer deals on GPUs, but their average GPU prices were just ok)

@tehJameson

if there's a microcenter near you, they're worth checking out. they're pretty awesome. and last i looked (ie: ~1 week ago), their prices were about as good or better than anywhere, except for GPUs (and they still had some killer deals on GPUs, but their average GPU prices were just ok)
I definitely wanna check one out, ive only heard good things about em. And its also like toys r us for nerds lol

It was.

Do miss the days of when NewEgg used UPS. That driver knew the packages were for me. Would hide them near my apartment door. An if it was raining and or expecting to rain. He would wrap them in a clear garbage bag.
Give that man a raise lol

Damn, that r9 @ 16/32 and 5.1 ghz makes the 1950x build I was gonna do in the future look like a moot point possibly.

And the r3 3k series, 6/12 @ 4.0 for 99 dollars makes any i3 or hell maybe even i5 purchase stupid in cost for performance metrics unless they get the i3/5’s to 5.0??

I’ve very excited for this release. This might make me buy a cpu at release instead of waiting a half year for initial price drops or greater like usual.

Thanks!!!
Intel has to be shitting bricks. This will be an AM4 socket processor, too, so don't expect gaming to be a secondary concern with a "Game Mode" where they disable half the cores/threads as they do with the threadrippers, either. AMD has been determined with Ryzen to offer better in-house cooling solutions adequate for cooling the CPU during actual sustained gaming loads, unlike Intel, who I thought was wise to abandon their crap stock coolers in order to allow the buyer to decide the optimal level of cooling for himself, except that Intel apparently forgot to eliminate that expense from the cost to the consumer, so what was the point? Meanwhile, AMD's coolers have been more than ample, so my biggest question mark-- assuming the leak is accurate-- is whether or not they intend to maintain this strategy in which case those prices include the cost of the cooler, and....just wow if they do.

Intel better have something ready by next summer because who in the hell will want a cooler-less 9700K for $400+ or a 9900K for $550+ when you could have a 32-thread CPU that turbos to 5.1 GHz for $499 MSRP?

For the first time in a decade I wonder if AMD will be the one whose CPUs surge above their suggested retail price.

The r5, 3600x with 8/16 @ 4.8 for 229??

Jesus that’s a serious cost per performance monster, ESPECIALLY if it comes with capable cooler.

The r5, 3600x with 8/16 @ 4.8 for 229??

Jesus that’s a serious cost per performance monster, ESPECIALLY if it comes with capable cooler.
Strap a hyper212 and go from there

Strap a hyper212 and go from there
Or use an amd cooler from another cpu.

Either one you already have or a used one from someone going to water cooling.

I personally thing the 212’s are ugly and wouldn’t use one but that’s just me.

They are a good cooling solution for thier cost though.

Anyone have experience with newegg? I usually order amazon, but newegg had 16gb 3000mhz ram for 100 bucks and a great deal on a kingston ssd and a pc case.

The free shipping said like 3-5 days shipping and i ordered this sunday, but it's tracking info says it'll arrive next thursday. Anyways, hoping it shows up before the work week ends.

Newegg's super saver shipping usually takes about 10 days to get to me, but live in bum fuck nowhere.

B350 rog strix is 40 dollars off, gtx 1060 zotac for 220, and vega 56 for 400 on amazon right now.
Vega 56's have been at $400 for awhile now.

Or use an amd cooler from another cpu.

Either one you already have or a used one from someone going to water cooling.

I personally thing the 212’s are ugly and wouldn’t use one but that’s just me.

They are a good cooling solution for thier cost though.

Enermax ETS-T40fit is a single tower cooler like the 212's but they're not ugly and the mounting system is way better. They perform about equal. I'm using the black version in two different builds, E3-1230 & i5-7400, and I'm extremely happy with them. Noctua is supposed to be releasing all black coolers, but they've yet to come to market.
7436_999_enermax-ets-t40fit-cpu-coolers-review_full.jpg

Mouse is dying. It's elderly as fuck. Very simple wired two-button thing with 800 non-adjustable dpi.

Looking for a replacement. Open to suggestions with more luxury

Well, Newegg has slashed the price on the Sapphire Vega 64 to just $399 today, with 3 free games included (20h remaining), and many consider Sapphire to be the top brand manufacturer of AMD GPUs:
00-995-295-S01.jpg

But that isn't the BIG news:
AMD Navi RX 3080, 3070 & 3060 Specs & Prices Leaked – RTX 2070, GTX 1070 & GTX 1060 Challengers at $249, $199 & $129
Upcoming RX 3080 is 15% Better Than Vega 64 at Only $249?
WCCF Tech said:
AMD Radeon RX 3000 Series, a New Name for a New Series
AMD’s next generation Navi family will initially be comprised of three members, which the company is planning to announced at CES next month. These include the Radeon RX 3080, RX 3070 and RX 3060.
Yes, that’s what they’re supposedly going to be called. It appears that the company is looking to strengthen its graphics name recognition by streamlining its branding. Both of its upcoming Ryzen CPU & Radeon GPU product lines will now fall under one 3000 series banner.
Alternative source: Digital Trends coverage
amd-vega-navi-roadmap-800x450.jpg

AMD-RX-3080-1030x579.png

AMD-RX-3070-1030x579.png

AMD-RX-3060-1030x579.png
31262641157_02a0473c18_b.jpg

AnguishedUniqueFly-size_restricted.gif

Goddamn, these leaks are getting me sweaty. I'm reminded of a Forbes article from this past summer:
AMD To Intel: Thanks For The Last 40 Years, We'll Take It From Here

*Edit*
Notice the RX 3060 has a 75W TDP and requires no external power source. This suggests it will supplant the GTX 1050 Ti as the most powerful GPU in existence that can be cheaply added to office/mainstream builds that don't have a legit gaming PSU. This truly brings AAA 1080p gaming to the masses. For reference, observe the GTX 1050 Ti vs. Rx 580 via Userbenchmark (it's a curbstomping):
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-580/3649vs3923

Last edited:
Another major leak coming out today, and another massive rumored win for AMD:

Xbox Scarlett Will Use Zen 2 and AMD Next-Gen GPU Technology; 4K@60 FPS Is “On The Agenda”
WCCF Tech said:
According to a video report from renown Microsoft insider Brad Sams (Executive Editor of Thurrott.com), the Xbox Scarlett console, which will release in 2020, will be using Zen 2 and AMD’s next-generation GPU technology. The aim would be to have games running at 4K resolution and 60 frames per second. This would align with earlier rumors on the PlayStation 5 hardware, which pointed to an eight-core Zen CPU and a Navi-based GPU. Once again, both next-gen consoles by Sony and Microsoft could be powered by AMD technology.

For the next generation, Microsoft is going to take a varied approach, releasing different types of hardware that will be able to run games through the cloud, like a cheap Xbox console that runs game via the Azure infrastructure, as well as traditional hardware. The company is going to be embracing digital distribution even further, bringing changes to the Windows Store (as promised by Phil Spencer, Executive Vice President of Gaming at Microsoft) and Xbox App and creating a unified system.

Backward compatibility is also in the cards, which is not surprising considering how well it’s doing on Xbox One.

All of this information has not been confirmed officially, so we have to take it with a grain of salt for the time being. If the console is indeed coming in 2020, we will finally hear more about it sometime next year, possibly at E3 2019; after all, Microsoft already announced the Xbox One X console a year and a half before it actually shipped.
Reports are it will lean on the Cloud to gain an advantage over the PS5 which is also slated to run on AMD's Zen2 + Navi hardware:
https://www.inverse.com/article/515...how-microsoft-will-use-cloud-to-beat-sony-ps5
Inverse said:
Microsoft’s next Xbox console could leverage cloud technology to gain the upper hand over Sony, a report published Wednesday claims. Brad Sams, who previously reported that the upcoming “Scarlett” machine would launch in 2020, claims that the diminishing returns from more powerful hardware will push the two companies to find other ways to differentiate themselves, leading to a new tech race no longer governed by flashy specs and high resolutions.

“Hardware differentiator, I think in the next gen, isn’t going to be as big of a deal as the previous gen,” Sams said, explaining how Microsoft and Sony are both likely to offer 4K resolution gaming at a smooth 60 frames per second, but consumers are unlikely to spot the difference with even higher pixel counts or framerates. This will mean offering alternative benefits, like services, price points and cloud technology. In the case of the latter, Microsoft plans to offer Netflix-like game streaming for more casual players and cloud-based processing to enhance high-end games.

Microsoft announced its game streaming service in October, Project xCloud, which will leverage its 54 Azure cloud service regions to offer a variety of games without the need for downloads, running over a connection of just 10 megabits per second. The service acts as a competitor to PlayStation Now, which offers access to hundreds of PS4, PS3 and PS2 games for $19.99 per month, and xCloud is expected to start public trials in 2019. Sams previously claimed that Microsoft will offer a streaming-only “Scarlett” box for around $100, saving hundreds of dollars upfront for more casual players that are less concerned about pixel-perfect performance.
Tweaktown said:
RuthenticCookie on Reddit said that the PS5 is a beast capable of "4K/60 stable and at the same time kinda monster" and lines up with what I expect, and what I said in my report on Sony working directly with RTG engineers on the Navi GPU for the PlayStation 5. In my article, I said: "Sony needs the next-gen PS5 to truly drive 4K 60FPS if it's going to be released in 2020-2022 where 4K will be greatly established at the time. The next generation of consoles need to offer 4K 60FPS at a minimum if they want to keep up with mid-range GPUs in 2020-2027 (given that the PS5 is released in 2020, and lasts for 5-7 years)".
If these consoles indeed drop this early, around Fall/Winter 2020, then part of me wonders if these early leaks may be misleading in representing the next generation of consoles, and if "backwards compatibility" should just be "compatibility".

It's a generational overhaul, from a hardware point of view, jumping from AMD's Bobcat family (the "Jaguar" architecture) to their latest Ryzen family (Zen 2), but otherwise there doesn't look like any significant reason for these consoles to be a brand new generation rather than a 4K-native@60fps update to the current PS4/XB1 8th generation improving upon the Xbox One Elite & PS4 Pro.

If the leak suggestions are correct, and this is a whole new generation of consoles, I can't wait for the same gamers who work so hard to pretend they "don't care about slight graphical improvements", like those in this recent thread, to suddenly swoon over "4K@60fps BRO!!!!!", and relentlessly hype how amazing these new consoles are on those grounds to justify a purchase since at launch their game libraries will be practically nonexistent for the first year (just as they were with the PS4/XB1 all the way up to 2015).

Psychology is weird like that.

I may just very well wait for the 3060 to drop and snatch that up bc that sounds amazing

I may just very well wait for the 3060 to drop and snatch that up bc that sounds amazing
I had been thinking about buying a Vega, but I might wait till the 3080 comes out.

If it comes out at that price.

I bought a Logitech last year, and couldn't be happier with it.

https://gearscope.com/the-best-gaming-mouse/

Yeah, I already have a Logitech keyboard I like. I'll do a little browsing before selecting, but it looks like they have some nice fingertip-grip options that fit my aesthetic preferences. I'm really tempted by the g703 tbh, but I'd probably lose a wireless mouse.

Last edited: