Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Today is a study in clickbait. In the more distant future, this could be devastating to all the hardware vendors that don't specialize in low-cost, low-power products like the major ARM players: Qualcomm (Snapdragon), Broadcomm (BCM), Apple (A-series), Samsung (Exynos), NXP Semiconductor (various), Huawei (Mediatek), and HiSilicon (Kirin).

They've been promising this forever, and the biggest hiccup for gaming has always been ping. Linus gets right into this starting at 4:23 of the video. The testing module they lent him show that Shadow is adding only 5ms of latency to his machine running the game though he acknowledges his office is physically very near to the server center. This may not be ideal for hardcore competitive gaming, especially considering that this is an additional server center that becomes a middleman between the game servers and the gamer, but it's more than ample for any single player experience and any multiplayer that isn't acutely time-intensive. Impressive.

But...apart from intolerable latency to competitive multiplayer the biggest drawback is still nerfed graphics. Those internet users fortunate enough to have the best internet connections see a ceiling compression package delivery via Shadow of 50Mbps-70Mbps (Megabits), he says. This takes your PC-caliber graphics to Twitch-caliber streaming. After all, for 1080p@144Hz, your PC requires a transfer of 2389Mbps to express every single pixel. Not even Gigabit internet is sufficient.

Furthermore, despite that this streamed data is a coded compression, designed to be decoded and unpacked in real-time via hardware acceleration by the "Shadow Ghost" box on your end, there isn't a chance in hell that you're closing that gap, and besides, decoding itself operates on an imprecise dynamic strategy in order to look as close to the uncompressed source as possible (like mp4 and ac3 rips online for video/music). This is also merely 1080p at 144fps.

The other remaining question is how much will the subscription fee be to use their service? After all, all of those servers aren't cheap to build, power, and maintain. It was conspicuous to me that Linus didn't mention this, so I ran a quick Google:
As a result, Shadow isn't cheap. A month-to-month subscription costs $49.95, while the service is $39.95 a month with a three-month commitment; it's $34.95 per month on a yearly plan.
And there's the rub. At the end of the day you can't cheat that you need the hardware somewhere in order to run these games. Shadow just diminishes the cost upfront with the cheaper box:
Shadow Ghost game streaming box set to launch in Q4, 2018 for $140
But at a minimum cost of $420/yr just to subscribe there is little incentive for rational consumers to participate. Three years comes out to a total of $1400. A $1400 gaming PC should last you three years. If you're that parched for cash it would make more sense to just buy your PC on a layaway plan instead (btw, please don't do this, you shouldn't need financing for anything less than a car).

Meanwhile, more leaks coming out of South Korea appear to confirm the insane, earlier leaks of Ryzen 3000 specifications are accurate:
AMD's Disruptive Ryzen 3000-Series: More Evidence It Exists

Last edited:
Anandtech > Intel's Architecture Day 2018: The Future of Core, Intel GPUs, 10nm, and Hybrid x86
Anandtech said:
It has been hard to miss the fact that Intel has been vacuuming up a lot of industry talent, which brings with them a lot of experience. Renduchintala, Koduri, Keller, Hook, and Carvill, are just to name a few. This new crew has decided to break Intel out of its shell for the first time in a while, holding the first in a new tradition of Intel Architecture Days. Through the five hours of presentations, Intel lifted the lid on the CPU core roadmaps through 2021, the next generation of integrated graphics, the future of Intel’s graphics business, new chips built on 3D packaging technologies, and even parts of the microarchitecture for the 2019 consumer processors. In other words, it's many of the things we've been missing out on for years. And now that Intel is once again holding these kinds of disclosures, there’s a lot to dig in to.

Contents List
Intel covered a good amount of ground at the Architecture Day, which we’ve split into the following categories:

1. The CPU Core and Atom Roadmaps, on 10nm
  2. The Sunny Cove Microarchitecture
  3. The Next Generation Gen11 Graphics
  4. Intel Demonstrates Sunny Cove and Gen11 Graphics
  5. Beyond Gen11 Graphics: Announcing the Xe Graphics Brand
  6. 3D Packaging with FOVEROS
  7. Intel’s first Fovoros and first Hybrid x86 CPU: Core plus Atom in 7 W on 10nm
  8. Ice Lake 10nm Xeon
  9. Intel Made Something Really Funny: Q&A with Raja, Jim, and Murthy
1-Roadmap_575px.jpg

Intel (tries to) strike back. Just saw this trending in my feed. Looks like Sunny Cove will be the first major update since Skylake, but there is a lot of information, and I haven't yet read the article fully.

Last edited:
I finally saw a NES Classic in person! Walmart, I think $59.99. They had a lot.

GIGABYTE AB350M-DS3H AM4 ATX mobo for $53 on Newegg. Amazon has the Ryzen 5 1600 on sale for $150 to go with it.

Today is a study in clickbait.

Ran across that video last night while waiting at a job site. Was interesting how the title didnt match the video contents.

These online services wont become viable till fiber infrastructure can support traveling at the speed of light. Right now its similar to VR. A niche market where the technology doesnt yet exist to appeal towards the majority of gamers.

GIGABYTE AB350M-DS3H AM4 ATX mobo for $53 on Newegg. Amazon has the Ryzen 5 1600 on sale for $150 to go with it.
Decent but 2600’s are readily available for 149.00 now, plus the -30 with mobo at a microcenter(if you live near one) makes it 119.00

Micro center has the 1600 for 119, but not eligible for the 30.00 off with mobo anymore.

The 1700x is 149.00 also, but now is off the list for the 30 off with mobo purchase(that’s what I get for dragging my feet!!)

So , with the mobo combo, the 2600 now being 30.00 cheaper than a 1700x the decision becomes less clear again. (For me anyway)

Dang it these price and deal changes moving constantly makes my slow to jump decision process impossible lol.

Decent but 2600’s are readily available for 149.00 now, plus the -30 with mobo at a microcenter(if you live near one) makes it 119.00

Micro center has the 1600 for 119, but not eligible for the 30.00 off with mobo anymore.

The 1700x is 149.00 also, but now is off the list for the 30 off with mobo purchase(that’s what I get for dragging my feet!!)

So , with the mobo combo, the 2600 now being 30.00 cheaper than a 1700x the decision becomes less clear again. (For me anyway)

Dang it these price and deal changes moving constantly makes my slow to jump decision process impossible lol.

Well good for you, not everyone lives near a fucking Microcenter.

Acer ET322QU 32" 1440p 75hz Freesync for $200 on newegg

2TB ADATA Ultimate SU800 ssd for $210 on Rakuten

Are you guys aware that while you were bickering a sale popped up yesterday around 9AM on /buildapcsales for an R7-1700 (w/Wraith Spire) for $102.50 online?

https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...99144707367182242_3216906602910755023_6136318

$119.99 for a R7-1700 from Fry's. For first-time buyers via Google Express the "APPHOLIDAY25" Coupon Code brought the total down to $102.29 after shipping & Express's mandatory sales tax based on the state from which the component ships.

Sold out in 2min. I didn't notice it until 3PM long after it was exhausted. I notice they still have it atop the sub-reddit today. I think there must be a mod for that board who is a sadist. Really twisting the knife.

3f4.gif

Just a reminder the early bird who keeps his eye on the prize gets the worm. No need to shout at each other over sharing alternative strategies or options. It also gives us a new monopoly money low to salivate over, and I think we can all come together over the realization that last year, in September, the i3-7100 was selling for ~$110, and nobody seemed interested in offering sales on it. The R3-1200 sat alongside it at $100, and also didn't really see any sales. We had posters rightly calling the i5-8400 at launch heading into October for $182 "a steal".

Times are good.

Are you guys aware that while you were bickering a sale popped up yesterday around 9AM on /buildapcsales for an R7-1700 (w/Wraith Spire) for $102.50 online?

https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...99144707367182242_3216906602910755023_6136318

$119.99 for a R7-1700 from Fry's. For first-time buyers via Google Express the "APPHOLIDAY25" Coupon Code brought the total down to $102.29 after shipping & Express's mandatory sales tax based on the state from which the component ships.

Sold out in 2min. I didn't notice it until 3PM long after it was exhausted. I notice they still have it atop the sub-reddit today. I think there must be a mod for that board who is a sadist. Really twisting the knife.

3f4.gif

Just a reminder the early bird who keeps his eye on the prize gets the worm. No need to shout at each other over sharing alternative strategies or options. It also gives us a new monopoly money low to salivate over, and I think we can all come together over the realization that last year, in September, the i3-7100 was selling for ~$110, and nobody seemed interested in offering sales on it. The R3-1200 sat alongside it at $100, and also didn't really see any sales. We had posters rightly calling the i5-8400 at launch heading into October for $182 "a steal".

Times are good.

Nope, I keep missing out on the screaming sales like that.

The 1900x for 2 something still has me pissed lol.

And that I was too lazy to drive over to micro when the 1700x was on stupid sale and sold out next day.

Most of the day yesterday in my free time I spent doing Christmas lights and messing with this ancient compaq neoserver infound in the attic.

I completely disassembled it and cleaned all the parts of lint and dust bunnies, need to pick up some new cmos batteries and see if i can get anything to work.

I’m gonna try and see if it will boot to retro box or something like that.

It’s so old it has no usb, so I don’t know if I can put that on a disk and get it to boot from there?

Also need to get an ata to sata adapter

It’s not looking good for this thing to be an emulation machine.

It’s got an old ass celeron with a ati 3D built into the board, so it “might “ run some old games if it still works at all.

And an old ass midi style sound card.

3f4.gif

Times are good.

So you're informing us of the sale that lasted minutes from a day before. Thanks I guess.

I quickly decided on the choice of equipment, but a mouse was a real problem for me. It always seemed to me that they are all the same and there are no significant differences between them, but I was wrong. There are different mouse grips that every gamer should be aware of when it comes to playing MOBA/MMO, action FPS, or eSports games. Tastes differ, and usually, pro players combine various grips to create their own unique playing style. Among many others, I chose the Logitech G403 and was very pleased. This is a good choice for gamers, besides it is considered best fps gaming mouse now. The mouse provides an improved gaming experience due to its enhanced optical sensor with robust FPS accuracy and performance.

PC Gaming at console prices:

giphy.gif

HP - Pavilion Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5-Series - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 580 - 1TB Hard Drive + 128GB Solid State Drive - Shadow Black With A Brushed Hairline Pattern
$529 ($477 Open Box)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Processor
  • AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB Graphics
  • 8GB DDR4-2666 RAM
  • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD
  • WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2
  • DVD-RW
  • Mouse & Keyboard Included
  • Windows 10
c05978894.png

The R7-2700 version-- with 16GB of RAM-- is available for $749 ($675 Open Box):
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-gam...&acampID=f10c0708036411e988b3f2b6c0bebaaf0INT

PC Gaming at console prices:

giphy.gif

HP - Pavilion Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5-Series - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 580 - 1TB Hard Drive + 128GB Solid State Drive - Shadow Black With A Brushed Hairline Pattern
$529 ($477 Open Box)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Processor
  • AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB Graphics
  • 8GB DDR4-2666 RAM
  • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD
  • WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2
  • DVD-RW
  • Mouse & Keyboard Included
  • Windows 10
c05978894.png

The R7-2700 version-- with 16GB of RAM-- is available for $749 ($675 Open Box):
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-gam...&acampID=f10c0708036411e988b3f2b6c0bebaaf0INT

8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
tumblr_of9nzy9Uy41tb8iyko1_500.gif