Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

You need an HDR monitor to take advantage of HDR

I watched most of that and and maybe I missed it but how does hdr pertain to gaming?

I know a lot about hdr from the photographic point of view, but games aren’t photographs, they are “drawn” not stacked images.

Like HDR on a 4K TV. High Dynamic Range.
A PS4 Pro can produce 4k HDR level graphics.
So I wonder if a 1080 Ti supports it as well.
May need an update for it

I’m so confused as hell what hdr has to do with gaming. They can change the contrast anywhere on a scene in one image, it doesn’t need multiple image stack to achieve this

I watched most of that and and maybe I missed it but how does hdr pertain to gaming?

I know a lot about hdr from the photographic point of view, but games aren’t photographs, they are “drawn” not stacked images.

I’m so confused as hell what hdr has to do with gaming. They can change the contrast anywhere on a scene in one image, it doesn’t need multiple image stack to achieve this

HDR does the same thing as it does in videos. Wider color range, brightness, etc.

My tv usually gives a signal that a HDR signal has been found.
I wonder if a 1080Ti can produce the standard signal for HDR on a regular 4K HDR TV

HDR does the same thing as it does in videos. Wider color range, brightness, etc.
But there is no reason for it in a game that I can wrap my head around in the way a “scene” in a game is processed compared to how it is in photo or video.

It’s not real so want no shadows under a tree, just don’t make them??

I think they are using the terminology wrong to express what they are doing.

I’ll dig into it some more at a later time. I’m currently trying to help my buddy get his old pc up to speed to play the new Warcraft update and researching what he really needs.

I think just putting my extra 1050 ti in it for now will do it.

He was going to buy a 8320e processor, to replace his 6300 but I’m thinking his actual bottle neck is his gt 640.

The benchmarks on his 6300 vs the 8320 is making it look pointless to me to change.

But there is no reason for it in a game that I can wrap my head around in the way a “scene” in a game is processed compared to how it is in photo or video.

It’s not real so want no shadows under a tree, just don’t make them??

I think they are using the terminology wrong to express what they are doing.

I’ll dig into it some more at a later time. I’m currently trying to help my buddy get his old pc up to speed to play the new Warcraft update and researching what he really needs.

I think just putting my extra 1050 ti in it for now will do it.

He was going to buy a 8320e processor, to replace his 6300 but I’m thinking his actual bottle neck is his gt 640.

The benchmarks on his 6300 vs the 8320 is making it look pointless to me to change.

I'd replace the video card first. WoW is single core bound, going from a 6100 to a 8320 won't be much of an upgrade. They're basically the same chip except the 8320 has 2 more "cores", which Wow won't take advantage of.
If he does go with an 8320, make sure his mobo will support it. They draw a lot of power and some motherboards can't handle it. VRM overheating can be an issue as well.

You can get into a Ryzen 3 2200g/mobo/8gb ram combo for $215. Performance will be better on the CPU side and also on the GPU side. Plus he wouldn't be spending money on a dead platform, the 8320 is 6 years old.

I'd replace the video card first. WoW is single core bound, going from a 6100 to a 8320 won't be much of an upgrade. They're basically the same chip except the 8320 has 2 more "cores", which Wow won't take advantage of.
If he does go with an 8320, make sure his mobo will support it. They draw a lot of power and some motherboards can't handle it. VRM overheating can be an issue as well.

You can get into a Ryzen 3 2200g/mobo/8gb ram combo for $215. Performance will be better on the CPU side and also on the GPU side. Plus he wouldn't be spending money on a dead platform, the 8320 is 6 years old.
Yeah, thats what I gathered from the benchmark results i found, that for him the cpu upgrade does nothing.

The 2200g is Actually CHEAPER than the 8320 at our local micro center so we talked about that a bit, but the cpu+mobo+ 16g ram was more than he could bite off right now, I suggested just bringing his case over and we can slam my 1050 ti innit and see what it does, we will also be picking up an ssd which will help some too.

He has 16g of ddr3 in his system now so going to 8 might turn him off but ill let him know about the combo deal that is a hell of a deal.

I think he'll probublay get my a320 mobo and r3 1200 when i upgrade here pretty soon anyway though.

He was pushing pretty hard to buy an 8350 because we could just drop the cpu in but i talked him out of it after researching the benchmark tests.

Yeah, thats what I gathered from the benchmark results i found, that for him the cpu upgrade does nothing.

The 2200g is Actually CHEAPER than the 8320 at our local micro center so we talked about that a bit, but the cpu+mobo+ 16g ram was more than he could bite off right now, I suggested just bringing his case over and we can slam my 1050 ti innit and see what it does, we will also be picking up an ssd which will help some too.

He has 16g of ddr3 in his system now so going to 8 might turn him off but ill let him know about the combo deal that is a hell of a deal.

I think he'll probublay get my a320 mobo and r3 1200 when i upgrade here pretty soon anyway though.

He was pushing pretty hard to buy an 8350 because we could just drop the cpu in but i talked him out of it after researching the benchmark tests.

If he doesn't have an SSD, that should be the first purchase. Micocenters in house Inland brand is a good budget drive and is a great price right now.

If he doesn't have an SSD, that should be the first purchase. Micocenters in house Inland brand is a good budget drive and is a great price right now.
Yep that’s what we are gonna get.

What’s your opinion on m.2 ssd’s They have some good deals on them now too, for mine not his.

Yep that’s what we are gonna get.

What’s your opinion on m.2 ssd’s They have some good deals on them now too, for mine not his.
I'm going to assume you've done the research into the difference between an M.2 Sata based drive and an NVME based Sata drive. If not, watch this. NVME are faster, but it's not a huge leap. A lot of users won't notice the difference.

If you're building a new computer, go with a Sata based drive unless you're building an Intel i7 or Ryzen 7 machine.
Here's why. You can buy a Western Digital NVME 256gb drive for $85 or a Western Digital Sata based drive for $55.
A Ryzen R5 1400 that's 4 cores/8 threads is $135, A Ryzen R5 1600 is 6 cores/12 threads for $155, a Ryzen R7 1700 is 8 cores/16 threads for $190 on sale right now.
Are you going to see a bigger benefit from a 1 second load time or more cores? I know where I'm sticking my money.

I'm going to assume you've done the research into the difference between an M.2 Sata based drive and an NVME based Sata drive. If not, watch this. NVME are faster, but it's not a huge leap. A lot of users won't notice the difference.

If you're building a new computer, go with a Sata based drive unless you're building an Intel i7 or Ryzen 7 machine.
Here's why. You can buy a Western Digital NVME 256gb drive for $85 or a Western Digital Sata based drive for $55.
A Ryzen R5 1400 that's 4 cores/8 threads is $135, A Ryzen R5 1600 is 6 cores/12 threads for $155, a Ryzen R7 1700 is 8 cores/16 threads for $190 on sale right now.
Are you going to see a bigger benefit from a 1 second load time or more cores? I know where I'm sticking my money.
Not a total new build but new mobo and cpu, and was going to put a m.2 ssd on the board but I haven’t researched it enough yet.

Cpu will be r7 2700x, haven’t picked new mobo yet , but thinking about getting an r5 of some type for this case and the r7 will go in my other case. I might end up having two pc’s depending on the rest of my research.

Just watched that vid, think i have before. I’m talking about the little ones that go into the board, m.2, not the pci-e based ones as I’m at a premium for pci-e slots that I don’t have enough of as is.

I was going to pull one of my hdd’s Out and put another SATA ssd in, But I realized I had an m.2 slot available on my board.

Just watched that vid, think i have before. I’m talking about the little ones that go into the board, m.2, not the pci-e based ones as I’m at a premium for pci-e slots that I don’t have enough of as is.

I was going to pull one of my hdd’s Out and put another SATA ssd in, But I realized I had an m.2 slot available on my board.
An m.2 SSD can either be a SATA or NVMe, m.2 is just the form factor.

I read part of an article suggesting from some patent filing that PS5 will be backwards compatible for PS1 to PS4. That'd be great.

An m.2 SSD can either be a SATA or NVMe, m.2 is just the form factor.
I guess I have my term messed up, I thought the m.2 ones were the ones that bolted to the board and were nvme, we were the pci-e slot ones.

I’m talking about the little ones that go directly on the mobo and screw down after snapping in , not the pci-e slot versions.

I want an nvme, since all SATA are achi and are not as fast, but the one that goes on the board not the pci-e.

I already have an ssd wired “SATA”

I guess I have my term messed up, I thought the m.2 ones were the ones that bolted to the board and were nvme, we were the pci-e slot ones.

I’m talking about the little ones that go directly on the mobo and screw down after snapping in , not the pci-e slot versions.

I want an nvme, since all SATA are achi and are not as fast, but the one that goes on the board not the pci-e.

Yes the m.2 are the ones you bolt to your motherboard and they can be either nvme ssds or sata.

An nvme ssd can either be used on the m.2 slot on the board or you can attach it to a pci-e card and insert it to one if the slots there, either way you're still using pci-e lanes.

Also something to take into account, nvme ssds can get hot, so I recommend checking out m.2 heatsinks unless your motherboard already came with one

Yes the m.2 are the ones you bolt to your motherboard and they can be either nvme ssds or sata.

An nvme ssd can either be used on the m.2 slot on the board or you can attach it to a pci-e card and insert it to one if the slots there, either way you're still using pci-e lanes.
When you’re talking PCI-E card add ins to hold an m.2, you need to pay attention to what type it is. There’s Sata based versions and NVME based versions. They’re not always interchangeable.
Anything older than Z97 won’t be able to use the PCI-E add on card as a boot device. You might be able to use it as a storage device, it depends on if the motherboard manufacture has updated their bios to support it . Do your research first.
Most people won’t run into it, but NVME drives take up PCI-E express lanes just like a graphics card. If you run any other PCI-E devices like sounds cards, capture cards, etc you can run out of lanes which can affect performance. You’ll run into that problem more with Intel stuff than Ryzen.

Intel Announces 9th Generation Core CPUs, Eight-Core Core i9-9900K
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9FLzMvODAyNzMxL29yaWdpbmFsLzIwMTgxMDA4XzEwMzkyOC5qcGc=

Intel finally officially unveiled the processors. The official pricing is greatly welcome, since it is in line with earlier rumors, not the latest Amazon pricing leaks:
  • $488 = i9-9900K
  • $374 = i7-9700K
  • $262 = i5-9600K
Nonetheless, B&H has preorders up, and they are charging $529.99 for the i9-9900K.

The rumors about clocks/turbos look to have been 100% accurate. At 4.7GHz turbo across all 16 threads the 9900K will be the top gaming processor in the world when it is released.