Gaming headsets

7.1 is a room with 7 point speakers and a subwoofer. I got that in my living room via a funky Sony amp TOS link with golf ball speakers and a sub.

These phones have 7 speakers and a woofer? I’d like to know how the fuck 7 and a woofer divides into 2. And how they put 3.5 speakers and .5 a woofer into each cup.

You can do positional audio based on how sound bounces around your ears but it’s not fucking 7 med/treble sources and a woofer.
It's virtual, Warrior.

It just indicates the headphones won't require a discrete sound card or motherboard technology (ex. Asus Sonic Radar) that supports 7.1 virtualization in order to drive this mode: hardware independence.

Another thing I think is key to remember when looking over the internet's data is to remember the relationship of the gamer/reviewer to the headset. For example, CS:GO is one of the most competitive eSports, especially one where directional audio is at its most important, but like all competitive eSports, it's played in an arena. So if you're a pro CS:GO gamer, despite that the open-backed headphones will be superior for this, in theory, if you wanted to practice in the same environment in which you compete, which is always desirable, then you're going to wear closed-backed headphones. So they do.

Then, of course, there is always the issue of sponsorship.

Yet it's remarkable right now how strongly the HyperX Cloud headsets are preferred by the top CS:GO gamers:
http://csgopedia.com/csgo-pro-setups/
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/01/10-best-csgo-players-gaming-headset/
Top CSGO headsets.png

If you follow the top link, which is more exhaustive and current since it isn't a feature, you can see that 23 out of the top 25 setups specify the headset. Of these 23 headsets, 16 are either the HyperX Cloud, HyperX Cloud II, HyperX Cloud Revolver, or HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro.

A nice perk to the HyperX headphones is that they come with removable outer shells to the earcups. So you can switch to a semi-open setup by switching out those cups.

It's virtual, Warrior.

It just indicates the headphones won't require a discrete sound card or motherboard technology (ex. Asus Sonic Radar) that supports 7.1 virtualization in order to drive this mode: hardware independence.

I know, I know. I’ve been messing around with virtual positioning in phones since maybe 18 years ago.

It’s not 5.1 or 7.1 because those numbers mean tweeters before the decimal and subs after the decimal.

You can’t just call two sound signals a multi point audio system.

I know, I know. I’ve been messing around with virtual positioning in phones since maybe 18 years ago.

It’s not 5.1 or 7.1 because those numbers mean tweeters before the decimal and subs after the decimal.

You can’t just call two sound signals a multi point audio system.
I figured you did, but I also didn't see the need to roast him. Still, it's a good thing this is mentioned to those who might not understand it.

It adds about $25 to the value of the headset by not requiring a card...maybe. I hadn't checked on this in a while, though, so I did just look, and even the cheapest B250 motherboards for the Kaby Lake generation ($35) carry the Realtek ALC887 onboard, and that supports Dolby 7.1+2 virtualization. Five years ago you paid a real motherboard premium for that exact codec.

So, at this point, it shouldn't add value to the headset for almost anybody at the hardware level. Nevertheless, the rest of what he said still counts as testimonial. Sounds like he really likes them.

I figured you did, but I also didn't see the need to roast him. Still, it's a good thing this is mentioned to those who might not understand it.

It adds about $25 to the value of the headset by not requiring a card...maybe. I hadn't checked on this in a while, though, so I did just look, and even the cheapest B250 motherboards for the Kaby Lake generation ($35) carry the Realtek ALC887 onboard, and that supports Dolby 7.1+2 virtualization. Five years ago you paid a real motherboard premium for that exact codec.

So, at this point, it shouldn't add value to the headset for almost anybody at the hardware level. Nevertheless, the rest of what he said still counts as testimonial. Sounds like he really likes them.

Wasn’t roasting the dude but the marketing BS, sorry if it came out that way, I can be cunty without intending.

Wasn’t roasting the dude but the marketing BS, sorry if it came out that way, I can be cunty without intending.

It's not marketing bullshit? It's a simulated audio environment, that uses numerous audio phenomena to create the illusion of a 7.1 audio. It is brilliant, I find it highly enjoyable.

That said? You can also buy surround sound headsets that use multi-directional speakers, and a sub. So yes, you "can" get real 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound headphones that use 5 / 7 tweets, and one sub.

I don't use that though, I stick with the stereo speakers that simulate the properties. They are almost as good, and I can't tell too much of a difference.

Never trust an audiophile ;) I don’t count myself as one despite all the expensive and inexpensive audio shit I got ;)

Always trust an audiophile! But, at least make sure they know what the hell they are talking about.

It's not marketing bullshit? It's a simulated audio environment, that uses numerous audio phenomena to create the illusion of a 7.1 audio. It is brilliant, I find it highly enjoyable.

That said? You can also buy surround sound headsets that use multi-directional speakers, and a sub. So yes, you "can" get real 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound headphones that use 5 / 7 tweets, and one sub.

I don't use that though, I stick with the stereo speakers that simulate the properties. They are almost as good, and I can't tell too much of a difference.

Marketing bullshit.

You can’t divide 5, 7 and 1 into 2 in physical reality.

There is literally no way you can have headphones with a subwoofer split into two because that’s two sub woofers. Unless you built something like a medieval knights helmet with a big woofer behind you and a frontal speaker in front of you and it surrounds your head. Or maybe put 3 tweeters and the woofer on one ear and two tweeters on the other but that’s not 5.1.

Now I could accept you having 6.2 speakers with three tweeters on each side as well as a woofer.

Last edited:
Marketing bullshit.

You can’t divide 5, 7 and 1 into 2 in physical reality.

There is literally no way you can have headphones with a subwoofer split into two because that’s two sub woofers. Unless you built something like a medieval knights helmet with a big woofer behind you and a frontal speaker in front of you and it surrounds your head. Or maybe put 3 tweeters and the woofer on one ear and two tweeters on the other but that’s not 5.1.

Now I could accept you having 6.2 speakers with three tweeters on each side as well as a woofer.

Oh, well that's what I meant when I said real 5.1 / 7.1, etc. 6.2, sure. Point is is that you can achieve these things with cans, and they are actually pretty fun.

It's curious that since the Razer Tiamat came out in 2012 that basically nobody talks about these since, in theory, they should be vastly superior for things like directional audio. How many have even be released?

True 7.1 Surround Sound Headsets
None fared well in terms of customer satisfaction or sales. In fact, in Googling to try to learn all the models out there, presently, this Beebom article popped up:
https://beebom.com/best-7-1-surround-sound-headsets/
Gaming headsets, especially the ones with surround sound functionality, have always been considered as a marketing gimmick by several users ever since it came into existence. If you ask me, I would both agree and disagree to those claims. The surround sound gaming headsets that used to come out in the beginning, like a few years ago, were definitely the worst headsets you could possibly buy for gaming. Some of them were termed as “True” surround sound headsets crammed with 7 dedicated drivers for your two ears. These headsets barely did anything in terms of delivering “real” surround sound experience. as the drivers were too close to each other in the headset.
Seems to be the consensus of those who have owned them if you pour through reviews. I really liked the idea when they came out, but it doesn't seem to have panned out in reality.

Never trust an audiophile ;) I don’t count myself as one despite all the expensive and inexpensive audio shit I got ;)

Well, I certainly wouldn’t trust someone that referred to themselves as an audiophile. That would be pretentious AF. The guy seems to know what he is talking about, but he constantly chides me for not following posting rules, so I bet he is the type that refers to himself as an audiophile, probably listens to jazz on his headphones, and refuses to admit that he likes the smell of his own farts. What a fucking savage!

I think the m100s are a lock, but as Mick stated, I am also considering the akg 702s as well. So, besides further research, it may come down to which ones cost less at the time I go to purchase them.

7.1 is a room with 7 point speakers and a subwoofer. I got that in my living room via a funky Sony amp TOS link with golf ball speakers and a sub.

These phones have 7 speakers and a woofer? I’d like to know how the fuck 7 and a woofer divides into 2. And how they put 3.5 speakers and .5 a woofer into each cup.

You can do positional audio based on how sound bounces around your ears but it’s not fucking 7 med/treble sources and a woofer.

There are a few sets that have seven small speakers in the headphones, however, almost every review states that the speakers are too small to be able to actually discern which one the sound is supposed to be coming from, not to mention that surround sound is just a software program that tries to tell your ears “hey, that guy is at your 3 o’clock and shooting at you!” And whether those speakers are set up to utilize and accurately have the sounds coming from the correct speaker, and to what effect?

Another thing I think is key to remember when looking over the internet's data is to remember the relationship of the gamer/reviewer to the headset. For example, CS:GO is one of the most competitive eSports, especially one where directional audio is at its most important, but like all competitive eSports, it's played in an arena. So if you're a pro CS:GO gamer, despite that the open-backed headphones will be superior for this, in theory, if you wanted to practice in the same environment in which you compete, which is always desirable, then you're going to wear closed-backed headphones. So they do.

Then, of course, there is always the issue of sponsorship.

Yet it's remarkable right now how strongly the HyperX Cloud headsets are preferred by the top CS:GO gamers:
http://csgopedia.com/csgo-pro-setups/
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/01/10-best-csgo-players-gaming-headset/
View attachment 346659

If you follow the top link, which is more exhaustive and current since it isn't a feature, you can see that 23 out of the top 25 setups specify the headset. Of these 23 headsets, 16 are either the HyperX Cloud, HyperX Cloud II, HyperX Cloud Revolver, or HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro.

A nice perk to the HyperX headphones is that they come with removable outer shells to the earcups. So you can switch to a semi-open setup by switching out those cups.

It's very interesting to me that the HyperX look almost exactly like the Steelseries Siberia line of headsets from long ago. I can say one thing if they are similarly designed my headset has lasted me for almost a decade now which blows my mind because I'd broken a headset about once a year up until then and had tried all sorts of brands. Crazy durability with that design.

dims

It's very interesting to me that the HyperX look almost exactly like the Steelseries Siberia line of headsets from long ago. I can say one thing if they are similarly designed my headset has lasted me for almost a decade now which blows my mind because I'd broken a headset about once a year up until then and had tried all sorts of brands. Crazy durability with that design.

dims

They are based on tackstar pro 80s

Back