Ganryujima GIFS -- crazy fight league

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So I just watched a Ganryujima event on youtube and it's really fascinating. You can win by knocking out your opponent, throwing him out of the ring 3 times or having him tap out to strikes on the ground. (I don't think there were submissions.)

The first thing you notice is how blisteringly fast and action-packed the matches are. It's like a series of sprints until somebody wins.

Given the rules I thought sumo wrestlers had a distinct advantage and, at the beginning of the event, there was one particular sumo who was running through people. But then this little Brazilian guy started giving him fits with his speed.

WtfYsN.gif

Turns out a sumo is really hard to throw out.

Then the smaller Brazilian, who won his last match with a capoeira kick to the dome started spamming that same kick over and over again. After a few times throwing it against the sumo he got lucky and actually managed to toss the sumo out.

6R2Izs.gif

That's when the little guy realized it was the perfect kick to throw because if he missed, it would just go to the ground and they would restart, at which point he would throw the kick and fall down all over again. This was the longest match in the tournament and he almost knocked the sumo out with another spinning kick to the dome and, as the match went on, the Brazilian kept getting crazier and crazier with his jumping kicks.

Then he realized that, not only could the sumo not throw him out if he was on the ground, but the sumo could also not throw him out if he pulled guard.

sfF-Sl.gif

Like I said, it was the longest match of the tournament, but the sumo finally managed to throw the Brazilian guy out three times, even though the sumo was beyond exhausted.

The sumo just had a weakness in his rush-and-push style exposed and the man he would meet in the finals would take note of how to prevent the sumo from bull-rushing you out of bounds.

The man who had the most success tossing people out was a San Da kung fu fighter. The San Da guy (white pants in the gifs below) started getting cocky and experimental, like the Brazilian, and literally throwing out video game attacks.

VZRwBF.gif

Turns out the San Da guy was so adept at tossing out his MMA-based opponent that the MMA guy actually lost the match by diving out of the ring to avoid being launched AGAIN.

CGMQ2K.gif

The Sumo made fought some mystery guy in the finals. I couldn't figure out anything about him because of my lack of Japanese, but the mystery man shut the Sumo down hard, again and again, by spamming striking-to-guard-pull relentlessly. The sumo was helpless in trying to shove the guy out of the ring and as soon as he tried too hard, this happened:

VxT0QL.gif

Mystery man won, Sumo came in second.

This was an amazing event to watch. You could see this new hybrid sport literally evolving as the matches progressed. To top it off, they were so action packed that literally every few seconds something new and wild was happening. There was only full-tilt or no tilt: there was no feeling out here.

fun to watch, very cool, thx

modified tomonage at the end.

Does anyone know how to find some old MMA events that took place wearing the short sleeve Dragon ball/streetfighter Gis???

The man who had the most success tossing people out was a San Da kung fu fighter. The San Da guy (white pants in the gifs below) started getting cocky and experimental, like the Brazilian, and literally throwing out video game attacks.

that guy is actually boxer Kazuhisa Watanabe. he's crazy and he used to toss people around in boxing too, and has had some kickboxing fights in K-1 and a mma fight against tokoro. hilarious guy, and a lot of fun to watch. i'm glad to see him taking part in a fun as hell event like Ganryujima.

he'll also be in their next tournament i believe (rather than being in a superfight).

The Sumo made fought some mystery guy in the finals.

the mystery guy is kickboxer Brian Douwes. i was really impressed with him, and he did really well in a tournament with Ganryujima's rules.

and for what it's worth, the sumo guy is Hoshikaze who was kicked out of the sport during the match-fixing scandal. he's also had an mma fight in IGF.

Ganryujima is awesome, and i can't wait for their next big tournament.

Last edited:
Weirdest fighting tourney ever. Were they trying to recreate Virtua Fighter?

Also whats the rules on GNP? Looked like sometimes it was allowed and other times it wasnt.

ultimate sumo fighting with out the ghey diapers.

awesome

that guy is actually boxer Kazuhisa Watanabe. he's crazy and he used to toss people around in boxing too, and has had some kickboxing fights in K-1 and a mma fight against tokoro. hilarious guy, and a lot of fun to watch. i'm glad to see him taking part in a fun as hell event like Ganryujima.

he'll also be in their next tournament i believe (rather than being in a superfight).

the mystery guy is kickboxer Brian Douwes. i was really impressed with him, and he did really well in a tournament with Ganryujima's rules.

and for what it's worth, the sumo guy is Hoshikaze who was kicked out of the sport during the match-fixing scandal. he's also had an mma fight in IGF.

Ganryujima is awesome, and i can't wait for their next big tournament.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know who anyone was and was really confused when there was an American football player in the mix. I hope the guy actually trained martial arts.

Weirdest fighting tourney ever. Were they trying to recreate Virtua Fighter?

I thought it was a version of Bloodsport.

The rules reguarding GnP were odd. In early fights it seemed achieving mount on your opponent would result in a standup, then later the mounted position were allowed got severe GnP damage.

The complete lack of grappling and submissions were concerning. Maybe 30 seconds of grappling without a submission should result in a standup, but the current version isn't MMA, it's kickboxing with added GnP in a wrestling circle.

Kazuhisa Watanabe was a boss in the fight that started at 1:29:00. Every fight fan should watch that, it's worthy everyone's time to watch.

I dont have time to watch all right now,but it looks like there cant be no break in action on the ground,you have to start punching immediately or the ref will stand up,anyway that was entertaining!

I dont have time to watch all right now,but it looks like there cant be no break in action on the ground,you have to start punching immediately or the ref will stand up,anyway that was entertaining!

That's how it seemed to me, as long your constantly active they won't stand it up. Pause for a moment and... you're getting stood up.

The next Ganryujima is in 4 days I think.

This time you have to throw the guy out of the ring for it to count. If he falls out or is pushed out it doesn't count, or so I've heard

Hi guys, new to the forum as a user, but have been watching you guys for a while now.

Would you guys be so nice to get me a link where i can watch all ganryujima? it is super hard to find the tournments

Tks

Hi guys, new to the forum as a user, but have been watching you guys for a while now.

Would you guys be so nice to get me a link where i can watch all ganryujima? it is super hard to find the tournments

Tks

I'm just searching for them on youtube

HOLY SHIT!

Jimmy Ambriz was in Ganryujima 2!

Here's a blast from the past.

Tks
They have a VOD service on their site, I don't remember the exact cost but it's something under $10 a month
https://ganryujima.jp/movies

Back