Gary Russell vs. Leo Santa Cruz is Ordered By The WBC

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
The WBC ordered the best featherweight fight that can be made in boxing during its annual convention Wednesday in Kiev, Ukraine.

The Mexico City-based sanctioning organization announced that its featherweight champion, Gary Russell Jr., must make a mandatory defense of his title against fellow champion Leo Santa Cruz. Russell-Santa Cruz is one of the fights Premier Boxing Champions’ Al Haymon wants to make at some point in 2019, but the WBC’s order could expediate scheduling that 126-pound showdown and make it the next fight for each champion.

Russell (29-1, 17 KOs) made a mandatory defense of his 126-pound championship in his last bout. The southpaw from Capitol Heights, Maryland, out-boxed previously undefeated Joseph Diaz Jr. (27-1, 14 KOs) in that 12-rounder May 19 at MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland.

santa-cruz-russell.jpg

https://www.boxingscene.com/gary-russell-vs-leo-santa-cruz-ordered-by-wbc--132402

They both have solid records. I would watch it. GRJ only loss comes from Loma. Santa Cruz avenged his only loss. I'd watch it.

A good technical fight between two high quality guys.

GRJ has the hand speed to make it a short night for LSC, I think.

Back