Gegard Mousasi says ‘life is easier’ in Bellator after being ‘small fish’ in UFC; criticizes the UFC

Toner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.mmamania.com/2017/10/15...ier-in-bellator-after-being-small-fish-in-ufc

“I was a small fish in the UFC. I’m a big fish in Bellator. That’s why I want to do my part to grow with Bellator. There’s a connection that I don’t have with UFC. It’s a company, like a factory. With Bellator, it’s more that I’m part of the family, and I’m doing the best I can to grow with the family.”

Gegard Mousasi not happy about Yoel Romero vs Robert Whittaker interim title fight[/paste:font]
The disconnection between Mousasi and UFC shouldn’t come as a surprise. Just hours after announcing his contract signing with Bellator earlier this year, the former Strikeforce champion took direct aim at UFC and blasted its partnership with Reebok. It wasn’t the first time Mousasi publicly challenged UFC and probably won’t be the last.

“I was treated well in the UFC because I got the opportunity to get where I am now,” Mousasi said. “But, if I was to criticize them, I think the fairness of payment or the fairness of getting a title shot, it’s too much about the name of the fighter and who they feel they can build as a star as opposed to who is the best fighter. There are issues. Before the belt I’d have to fight probably Luke Rockhold, I would have fought Yoel Romero because (Robert) Whittaker is next. It would have made my road so difficult to get to the top. Some get an easy road.

“They give the fighters they like matchups suited for them so they can keep winning. They’ll probably do (Conor) McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3. Why? Because McGregor has a good shot of winning. They’re not going to make a fight with Khabib (Nurmagomedov) or Tony (Ferguson) because it’s bad for the promotion. Those things, you feel as a fighter. I’m not making things up. It’s frustrating. I had to take the hard road. That’s what I feel.”

I agree with Moose. The UFC has screwed over the entire MW division by letting Bisping duck top contenders so that he can defend against 46 year old washed up Hendo and a retired WW.

Thoughts?

Hope he's not right about Conor.

The UFC was dumb for letting him go.

It's a business. Until we as fans stop paying for the product they won't change.

Now he will get all the hate by Conor fanboys

I thought the UFC should have let Jacare go, and kept Mousasi (not the other way around). Good signing by Bellator. Looking forward to Bellator signing some more big names, and giving the UFC some real competition.

The problem is not having to take the hard road, everybody should get the hard road to a title shot, but the problem is some get the easy road

Hope he's not right about Conor.

The UFC was dumb for letting him go.

What's the biggest money fight they can make with Conor that is the safest for keeping their cash cow on a winning streak? Same reason they hid Honda away from Cybro, ironically Holm did her job for her lol. This shit is big business, if it's a few million difference between Conor fighting Diaz or Ferguson of course they will take minor losses for the bigger picture. Conor is protected/shielded just like Honda was, this is nothing new.

What's the biggest money fight they can make with Conor that is the safest for keeping their cash cow on a winning streak? Same reason they hid Honda away from Cybro, ironically Holm did her job for her lol. This shit is big business, if it's a few million difference between Conor fighting Diaz or Ferguson of course they will take minor losses for the bigger picture. Conor is protected/shielded just like Honda was, this is nothing new.

We can dream as fans doh. lol

Fucking Reebok is a big part of everyone leaving and I'm convinced that they only did it to streamline thd look in preparation for a sale knowing it would hurt the company long term.

Allowing free sponsorship would make fighters allowed to make more, and cost nothing out of pocket for the new owners. Honestly think several of the guys that left might have stayed if they weren't tied to the pathetic Reebok payout.

I read the whole thing hearing it in his voice haha.

It's true what he is saying and totally makes their product illegitimate, fake. The stupid thing is it seems unnecessary - we as fans would love to see the best fight the best in a fair ranking system with the champ being the legit.

Edit, oh yea, and fuck Reebok. Honestly the other day I was buying kicks, picked up a shoe off the display, noticed they were Reebok and put it straight back without hesitation - as an impulse.

You were ko'd by Uriah hall and that is why you are a small fish to the UFC.

I agree with what he is saying, I like how Mousasi has been keeping it honest. Hopefully he becomes a star for Bellator.

I'm surprised that the UFC let him go. He had a nice streak going with a big win over Weidman in his last fight. And you'd think that the UFC would see extra value in a Dutch fighter to help them grow in Europe. Maybe they think he's not a big enough star in Europe to get big bucks?

I'm not a Conor fan, but he shouldn't compare himself to Conor with regard to ease of a title shot. Moose had 3 losses before his streak, while Conor had already won the FW title before Diaz humbled him.

Overall, I wish he would've stayed in the UFC. He seemed to be coming into his own post-USADA, and there were plenty of good fights for him at MW -- probably a title shot if had the patience. But I hope he's happy with his raise and don't blame him for getting frustrated with the MW picture in the UFC.

Mousasi and Rory could both be UFC champs. Don't agree about Conor but see where he's coming from. Always been a fan.

i thought Gegard was rolling in dat apartment $

Back