General Gaming Discussion, v3

I picked up a coral pink DS Lite today for $15, regular colors were $30. For that price I figured what the heck. I ordered a R4 card and have a sd card laying around so I'm about $30 into a portable emulation machine.
Anyone have any recommendations for must have DS games?

Max Payne 3 is starting to Piss me off
It's like 20 seconds of action then cut scenes over and over again
The game play is fun but there's not enough of it

Dead Island's getting a sequel?

tuttut2.gif

Last edited:
I picked up a coral pink DS Lite today for $15, regular colors were $30. For that price I figured what the heck. I ordered a R4 card and have a sd card laying around so I'm about $30 into a portable emulation machine.
Anyone have any recommendations for must have DS games?
The DS has one of the best libraries of all time. There's too many great games to mention, but here's a few must-plays:

Ace Attorney series
Professor Layton series
Mario & Luigi series
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and its sequel Last Window
The World Ends With You
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Trauma Center 1 & 2
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Dragon Quest IX
Rhythm Heaven

That's just scratching the surface. Too many games worth playing on the DS. I've had it since 2008 and still haven't played all the games I wanted to :)

Give it time. There are some epic shootouts in that game.

I have never played a single GTA game in my life til this past week when I bought up everything I could find during that PSN sale last week. Cost me less than $50 to get them all starting with GTA 3. Even though it really didn't cost anything I'm kinda already regretting it. Shit is this series ever fucking hard. And frustrating. Started with GTA 3, played up to the point where you have to cover 8-ball with a sniper rifle as he goes to blow up a ship, and then quit after something like 30 tries at that mission. Deleted save. Yes, I suck at video games. I know it. I'll have another go at it down the road, maybe after trying another one first.

Because I'm an idiot I just picked up God of War 3 on PS4 for $15.

Not a bad price for one of my favorite games remastered and filled with all the DLC.

Eh, Dead Island was fun. Didn't try the second one that I guess isn't a sequel apparently. Their MOBA is a fucking joke of a game. I might give 2 a go if my friends get it. I don't want to solo through another Dead Island game.

I have never played a single GTA game in my life til this past week when I bought up everything I could find during that PSN sale last week. Cost me less than $50 to get them all starting with GTA 3. Even though it really didn't cost anything I'm kinda already regretting it. Shit is this series ever fucking hard. And frustrating. Started with GTA 3, played up to the point where you have to cover 8-ball with a sniper rifle as he goes to blow up a ship, and then quit after something like 30 tries at that mission. Deleted save. Yes, I suck at video games. I know it. I'll have another go at it down the road, maybe after trying another one first.

Sounds like you need some Grand Theft Auto-Aim!

But seriously iirc GTA5 pretty much aimed for you. Although it also has sniper cover missions that you'd probably hate.

Because I'm an idiot I just picked up God of War 3 on PS4 for $15.

Not a bad price for one of my favorite games remastered and filled with all the DLC.

I did the same

Even tho I have it on ps3

76Knockout, your AV really makes me miss forrest, always enjoyed watching him fight. On topic: Im really excited for Smash Bros, I really enjoy the demo and I can't wait till the 3rd.

Sounds like you need some Grand Theft Auto-Aim!

But seriously iirc GTA5 pretty much aimed for you. Although it also has sniper cover missions that you'd probably hate.

I probably won't mind those sniper mission in GTA 5 as long as I can turn off the inverted camera when targeting enemies. That's what got me almost every time on that above mission. I don't think I've ever played a game like GTA 3 that has the inverted camera as being mandatory and I always fucked it up by forgetting at some point during the shooting spree. Pisses me off.

I did the same

Even tho I have it on ps3

I do too. I think I almost got a platinum on it too.

Never got any of the DLC though so at least that's something new.

I do too. I think I almost got a platinum on it too.

Never got any of the DLC though so at least that's something new.

I picked up bloodborne too

Never played it

Think I bought a bunch of games today that I won't have time to play

76Knockout, your AV really makes me miss forrest, always enjoyed watching him fight. On topic: Im really excited for Smash Bros, I really enjoy the demo and I can't wait till the 3rd.

Same here man. Miss a lot of the guys from that "era" if you will.

Also, i guess i get why people hate on Dead Island but personally DI and DI Riptide were 2 of my favorite 7th gen games personally.

They had technical issues, but the exploration was fun, environments were pretty to look at and pretty diverse, customizable weapons were awesome and the combat was pretty good also. Fun co op game as well, and was always challenging.

I probably won't mind those sniper mission in GTA 5 as long as I can turn off the inverted camera when targeting enemies. That's what got me almost every time on that above mission. I don't think I've ever played a game like GTA 3 that has the inverted camera as being mandatory and I always fucked it up by forgetting at some point during the shooting spree. Pisses me off.

I actually bought the original ps2 trilogy when it was on sale and am playing through the first GTA. That was one of my biggest problems with the game(aside from no control of camera), you can aim witht he dpad though and it won't be inverted.

Yeah same here. It's the worst in the series. The gunplay is fucking fun, but there's just waaayyy too little of it.

The PS2 GTA games haven't exactly aged well, as far as their mechanics go. They're also unforgiving, with no checkpoints, and ridiculous difficulty spikes. That particular mission is quite notorious for it's difficulty, so don't feel too bad. There are way harder ones further into the game though.

Just start at GTA 4.

I started playing Skyrim a while ago for the first time. Already put 90+ hours in, blegh now Iont got time for other games. First world problems.

Finally "finished" RDR. Still a lot I want to do. But holy shit! What an incredible game! I haven't been that immersed in a Rockstar game since Vice City.

I need a sequel this gen.

I started playing Skyrim a while ago for the first time. Already put 90+ hours in, blegh now Iont got time for other games. First world problems.

Hope you got it modded or you'll have to play it again bro

I'm about to move to a next gen console. I have a 360 now, but I'd love some opinions which system is superior. I play mostly Call Of Duty MP.

Went to Gamestop and got Mad Max which was supposed to be $30 and Gears Of War Ultimate which was supposed to be $20 but when I got home I noticed they didnt give them to me for the Black Friday sales price so they ripped me for 30 bucks
Also got Sniper Elite III and Ryse all for the Xbone and Deus Ex : Human Revolution for PS3
Sniper and Ryse were both supposed to be the extra versions with all DLC included but they only gave me the regular versions but at least they didnt charge me for the extra versions
Not cool Gamestop

Went to Gamestop and got Mad Max which was supposed to be $30 and Gears Of War Ultimate which was supposed to be $20 but when I got home I noticed they didnt give them to me for the Black Friday sales price so they ripped me for 30 bucks
Also got Sniper Elite III and Ryse all for the Xbone and Deus Ex : Human Revolution for PS3
Sniper and Ryse were both supposed to be the extra versions with all DLC included but they only gave me the regular versions but at least they didnt charge me for the extra versions
Not cool Gamestop

That sucks but how did you not catch any of that while you were at Gamestop or even when the price came up?

I figured that. What's first gen, Atari?

Current backlog of games:

• Assassins Creed IV (0%)
• Assassins Creed Unity (0%)
• Borderlands (35%)
• Borderlands 2 (0%)
• Dark Souls (35%)
• Dark Souls II (0%)
• Metal Gear Solid IV (70%)
• Metal Gear Solid III (0%)
• Metal Gear Solid GZ (10%)
• Zelda Wind Waker (80%)
• Child of Light (0%)
• Dragon Age Inquisition (35%)
• Metro Last Light (0%)
• Dead Space (0%)
• LA Noire (60%)
• Metroid Prime II (60%)
• Metroid Prime III (0%)
• Donkey Kong 64 (65%)
• Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (50%)
• Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (0%)

Those titles range from 360, PS3, Wii U to Xbox One

Just bought Super Mario Maker to add to the pile as well. Halo 5 is on pre-order for next month. Some of those games are from the PSN sale, some I am ashamed to say are from black Friday sales last year...I fear the games will pile even more after this fall. I'm trying super hard to get through them but it's daunting. AC IV and Unity both came with my Xbox One last year and I haven't even turned them on yet.

Edit: Updated with approximate completion percentages. I'm a bit of a nut and I started a shit load of games and got overwhelmed with them all, slowly picking through them now.

play some of your games dammit

That sucks but how did you not catch any of that while you were at Gamestop or even when the price came up?

Wasnt paying attention
It was so frickin chaotic in there that I was busy people watching
Plus 107 bucks for 6 games didnt seem like too much and it woulda been close to the right price if they gave me my Black Friday discounts but added on the price for the extra DLC versions of Ryse and Sniper
I only looked at the receipt when I realized the gave me the wrong version of those two games

Blew the dust off the Wii yesterday. Had a "Punch-Out" craving. Now that is a remake/update done right. Hard as shit though. The first go through of the roster is hard enough, but going through them a second time is no joke. Glass Joe is even somewhat of a beast. I can make it to the second version of Popinski, and that's it. He just whoops my ass. I quit after 20 straight pummelings. One day, I'll make it to Donkey Kong. One day...

Also checked out my VC games. Saw a couple of games I must've just downloaded on a whim, and never played.

Super Empire Strikes Back - Good lord, this game is shit. How the fuck does the "Super Star Wars" series get mentioned on the list of "good" Star Wars games? Graphics are nice, but the controls and combat are just awful. The platforming is a nightmare as well. Just a terrible, terrible game.

Paper Mario - This game is awesome. Put around two hours into it, and didn't want to stop. The art style is amazing. The music kicks ass. The gameplay is so much fun, and really diverse for an RPG. Just a great game all around. I'll be playing this one all the way through.

The list was longer I just recently finished these ones:

• Super Luigi Wii U
• Pikmin III
• Assassins Creed III
• Rayman Legends
• Metroid Prime I

How are you finding the Wii U? Do you think it's worth it as a living room console? I have a PC so between that and Wii U I will get to play most games.

Blew the dust off the Wii yesterday. Had a "Punch-Out" craving. Now that is a remake/update done right. Hard as shit though. The first go through of the roster is hard enough, but going through them a second time is no joke. Glass Joe is even somewhat of a beast. I can make it to the second version of Popinski, and that's it. He just whoops my ass. I quit after 20 straight pummelings. One day, I'll make it to Donkey Kong. One day...

Also checked out my VC games. Saw a couple of games I must've just downloaded on a whim, and never played.

Super Empire Strikes Back - Good lord, this game is shit. How the fuck does the "Super Star Wars" series get mentioned on the list of "good" Star Wars games? Graphics are nice, but the controls and combat are just awful. The platforming is a nightmare as well. Just a terrible, terrible game.

Paper Mario - This game is awesome. Put around two hours into it, and didn't want to stop. The art style is amazing. The music kicks ass. The gameplay is so much fun, and really diverse for an RPG. Just a great game all around. I'll be playing this one all the way through.

Paper Mario is an awesome game. A great follow up to Super Mario RPG.

Amazing too me how well Just Cause 2 holds up. Game is still freaking gorgeous even by today's standards when you factor in how big the map is.

Really like this game. (replaying on 360)

The PS2 GTA games haven't exactly aged well, as far as their mechanics go. They're also unforgiving, with no checkpoints, and ridiculous difficulty spikes. That particular mission is quite notorious for it's difficulty, so don't feel too bad. There are way harder ones further into the game though.

Just start at GTA 4.

I actually started GTA 3 again a few days ago with me being a glutton for punishment and all, and I made it through that mission pretty easy this time. I took me two tries, I believe. Maybe three. But I've been doing decent enough this time around playing the game. Getting better at it I guess. Just killed off Kenji this morning and that was supposedly a difficult mission for some people. It took me about three or four tries.

I am looking forward to GTA 4 though. And GTA 5 as well once I get around to finishing these five PS2 ones. A lot of people say GTA 3 is the toughest of the bunch (either that or San Andreas), so I might be in good shape going forward in the series once (or if) I finish that one.

I just bought an Xbox one the other day and was setting up tonight. I downloaded the Netflix app and went to open it and it was already signed in on my account. Was it because I used the same gamertag from my Xbox 360. Are passwords stored on Microsoft servers?

Going to need a new GPU to play the new games in my case.. Nvidia GTX 970 and 980 should be released on 9/19 PC gamers...

The 980 performance numbers have leaked and it beats out the GTX 780ti and will be $499.. I'll be upgrading for sure, the card will be able to play anything you throw at at on max settings and will last at least a few years. Hoping they throw a free game like Dragon Age: Inquisition into the deal once they hit shelves

I actually bought the original ps2 trilogy when it was on sale and am playing through the first GTA. That was one of my biggest problems with the game(aside from no control of camera), you can aim witht he dpad though and it won't be inverted.

Thanks man. That's great to know if that issue with me comes up again. Which I'm sure it will. That'll be a big help. Good luck on your play through.

Can someone tell me what the Disney Infinity figures are all about? I tried reading up with them but I still don't get it. My niece asked for Disney Infinity 1 figures for xmas.

Just beat Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's a good game, but I don't know about calling it one of the GOATs of this generation. I was starting to get frustrated towards the end, and felt like giving up. Not because of the difficulty, but the gameplay. I hate backtracking on maps, things got too redundant, and the camera angles were shitty. The bosses never got better, but were decent. Honestly this felt more like a ps2 game, than a modern one. Take that how you will. The combat, and scenarios were too repetitive to make it really fun.

When the game breaks and resets, I literally thought my disc was fucked up, and I was about to start a chat with Amazon for a refund. :)

I do think the story was great. Would have made a great movie, or TAS double episode.
I'm 50-50 on getting the others right now.

How are you finding the Wii U? Do you think it's worth it as a living room console? I have a PC so between that and Wii U I will get to play most games.

Hmm yea if you have a PC there isn't much point in a PS4 or Xbox One unless you really want some of the console exclusives. The Wii U however is a decent console and you won't be able to play any of those games on PC.

There are many good games for the Wii U that definitely warrant purchasing the console. So far I have:

Super Mario/Super Luigi Wii U

Super Mario 3D World - Amazing game.

Mario Kart 8 - Really fun to play with friends, single player and online is decent but feels like you need friends over to really enjoy it.

Pikmin 3 - Interesting game and certainly unique, I enjoyed it while it lasted

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - Great 2D DK game, it's a little on the difficult side but I don't mind that at all. The artwork and gameplay are awesome imo.

Wind Waker HD - I hadn't played this game until we picked up the HD remake for the Wii U and I must say this is a fantastic game.

Super Mario Maker - I just picked this one up and so far it's really fun. If you aren't a creative guy then maybe it's not for you. The online levels can be good but you have to sift through a lot of junk to finally find a nice traditional style throwback level. there are some great creators out there though if you look hard enough. I've had fun so far building my own levels.

Don't forget too that if you buy a Wii U you can also play all of the original Wii games so you have access to that huge library of great games as well. I didn't own the original Wii so I have a bunch of games for that console to eventually catch up on as well.

On top of that you have the virtual consoles which allows you to download many other Nintendo titles from the NES, SNES, N64, Wii, and GC.

The Wii U is obviously a more childish game console, there isn't much hardcore action, no blood and guts but to me it's a nice change of pace from time to time and I thoroughly enjoy going back to my childhood and just playing some wholesome genuinely fun games.

Just look up the top games for the Wii and the Wii U to see if there is enough there that appeals to you.

Can someone tell me what the Disney Infinity figures are all about? I tried reading up with them but I still don't get it. My niece asked for Disney Infinity 1 figures for xmas.

You need the figures to unlock new characters in the game

Just beat Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's a good game, but I don't know about calling it one of the GOATs of this generation. I was starting to get frustrated towards the end, and felt like giving up. Not because of the difficulty, but the gameplay. I hate backtracking on maps, things got too redundant, and the camera angles were shitty. The bosses never got better, but were decent. Honestly this felt more like a ps2 game, than a modern one. Take that how you will. The combat, and scenarios were too repetitive to make it really fun.

When the game breaks and resets, I literally thought my disc was fucked up, and I was about to start a chat with Amazon for a refund. :)

I do think the story was great. Would have made a great movie, or TAS double episode.
I'm 50-50 on getting the others right now.

Combat is repetitive but id still recommend Arkham City. Origins i'd pass on.

Hmm yea if you have a PC there isn't much point in a PS4 or Xbox One unless you really want some of the console exclusives. The Wii U however is a decent console and you won't be able to play any of those games on PC.

There are many good games for the Wii U that definitely warrant purchasing the console. So far I have:

Super Mario/Super Luigi Wii U

Super Mario 3D World - Amazing game.

Mario Kart 8 - Really fun to play with friends, single player and online is decent but feels like you need friends over to really enjoy it.

Pikmin 3 - Interesting game and certainly unique, I enjoyed it while it lasted

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - Great 2D DK game, it's a little on the difficult side but I don't mind that at all. The artwork and gameplay are awesome imo.

Wind Waker HD - I hadn't played this game until we picked up the HD remake for the Wii U and I must say this is a fantastic game.

Super Mario Maker - I just picked this one up and so far it's really fun. If you aren't a creative guy then maybe it's not for you. The online levels can be good but you have to sift through a lot of junk to finally find a nice traditional style throwback level. there are some great creators out there though if you look hard enough. I've had fun so far building my own levels.

Don't forget too that if you buy a Wii U you can also play all of the original Wii games so you have access to that huge library of great games as well. I didn't own the original Wii so I have a bunch of games for that console to eventually catch up on as well.

On top of that you have the virtual consoles which allows you to download many other Nintendo titles from the NES, SNES, N64, Wii, and GC.

The Wii U is obviously a more childish game console, there isn't much hardcore action, no blood and guts but to me it's a nice change of pace from time to time and I thoroughly enjoy going back to my childhood and just playing some wholesome genuinely fun games.

Just look up the top games for the Wii and the Wii U to see if there is enough there that appeals to you.

Thanks for the post man. Yeah I think I'm gonna get a Wii U in the holiday sale.

Amazing too me how well Just Cause 2 holds up. Game is still freaking gorgeous even by today's standards when you factor in how big the map is.

Really like this game. (replaying on 360)

and yet the same people are making mad max and JC 3

The new Tony Hawk looks horrible.
All Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 glitches and physics bugs in this video were captured in under 60 minutes of gameplay, on a PS4 with the 7gb launch update installed.

It's figures with an NFC chip in'em. You put the figure on a portal and you control it in the game.
Infinity is basically just disney's version of Skylanders.

Back