General Gaming Discussion, v4: Summer Abyss

So, has there been any explanation for why in GTA online your accessories don't show up in those mini cutscenes? Seems so weird.

The devs explained that hats/masks/rebreathers were removed to avoid clipping issues in the cutscenes

...which was immediately mocked by players pointing out that heist cutscenes are about as physically dynamic as standing with your buddy at a bus stop for 5 minutes before patting him on the back

Portal Knights is out next week. I don't bother with Minecraft games but I liked the demo. It seems to have a structure and a bunch of rpg mechanics.

I'm actually really looking forward to this in a few days. I've never been able to get into Minecraft either, but I spent a ridiculous amount of time in Dragon Quest Builders, which is like a cross between Minecraft and Zelda: A Link to the Past. While it was really fun I would have liked more RPG elements, Co-op, and more variety. Portal Knights looks to be really similar and includes all the things I thought were missing in DQB. My kid played a ton of DQB as well, so I'm looking forward to playing Co-Op with him as well.

I looked at Dragon Quest but what put me off was reading that you couldn't have permanent buildings. Shame, I liked the demo. Bought Portal Knights and have had a lot of fun with it. It's very bright, colorful and some of the enemies are surprisingly tough

Does anyone here use a tablet as a secondary computer monitor? It would be handy to use with my laptop but there doesn't seem to be any solid apps on the Google store and not all of them support usb connections. Just curious if anyone has experience with these.

release date announced for september this year, looking forward to this so much

I don't understand why we still haven't had a decent game similar to GTA on either the PS3/PS4

On the PS2 we had The Getaway (a GOAT game, shame Sony never made the 3rd game, BASTARDS)
True Crimes
Driver Parallel Lines

Everything that did come on the PS3 had horrible graphics compared to GTA IV and looked like it belonged on the PS2.

I looked at Dragon Quest but what put me off was reading that you couldn't have permanent buildings. Shame, I liked the demo. Bought Portal Knights and have had a lot of fun with it. It's very bright, colorful and some of the enemies are surprisingly tough

I have Portal Knights waiting at home, haven't played it yet but looking to get some time in tomorrow. Glad to hear enemies are challenging.

For Dragon Quest Builders, it's both yes and no about buildings/equipment. When you play the main story, it's broken up into 4 chapters and each chapter starts fresh but focuses on different crafting/building types. Like Chapter 1 leans on making Metal Weapons and Armor, Chapter 2 is more around Lumber and Farming, Chapter 3 introduces Magic equipment.

After you finish Chapter 1 it opens up the free roam mode. Inside the free roam mode you can build to your hearts content and a portal opens to an area that has all the resources/enemies from Chapter 1. When you complete Chapter 2, the Chapter 2 Portal opens, etc.

I don't understand why we still haven't had a decent game similar to GTA on either the PS3/PS4

On the PS2 we had The Getaway (a GOAT game, shame Sony never made the 3rd game, BASTARDS)
True Crimes
Driver Parallel Lines

Everything that did come on the PS3 had horrible graphics compared to GTA IV and looked like it belonged on the PS2.

Saints Row? Sleeping Dogs? Mafia 2? Inferior games, but they were still respectable clones.

Before GTA V hit, I actually thought "Saints Row 3" was the better evolution of the GTA:SA sandbox, as opposed to GTA IV.

"The Getaway" was fine for it's time, but I feel that few have gone back and played it. It's pretty run of mill in the game play department. I think a lot of it's praise came from the, at the time, impressive cinematics. Overall though, I don't think it's aged too well.

After a long weekend with Portal Knights, I'm hooked. Had a blast single player and co-op with the kid was really fun. There are some things that Dragon Quest Builders does better and stuff that Portal Knights does better, but both are really fun. They're also different enough that if you've played one thoroughly you can still get a lot of enjoyment playing the other.

Saints Row? Sleeping Dogs? Mafia 2? Inferior games, but they were still respectable clones.

Before GTA V hit, I actually thought "Saints Row 3" was the better evolution of the GTA:SA sandbox, as opposed to GTA IV.

"The Getaway" was fine for it's time, but I feel that few have gone back and played it. It's pretty run of mill in the game play department. I think a lot of it's praise came from the, at the time, impressive cinematics. Overall though, I don't think it's aged too well.
I played the Shit out of Saints Row 2.. 3 and 4 were a bit too ridiculous for me.

I played the Shit out of Saints Row 2.. 3 and 4 were a bit too ridiculous for me.

I never understood the love for SR2, to be honest. Other than the original game, it was always a bit silly though. SR3 and 4, just went all out crazy town. I just thought the third game offered the most variety, and I think the completely over the top direction they took was important in distinguishing the franchise from being just another GTA clone.

SR4 was kind of garbage though. It could've been great, if they had more balanced game play, and a better sense of progression. Two hours into the game, and you're pretty much playing with cheat codes. Kind of felt bad for the devs who worked on all the vehicles, because you never ever need them, or want to use them.

I never understood the love for SR2, to be honest. Other than the original game, it was always a bit silly though. SR3 and 4, just went all out crazy town. I just thought the third game offered the most variety, and I think the completely over the top direction they took was important in distinguishing the franchise from being just another GTA clone.

SR4 was kind of garbage though. It could've been great, if they had more balanced game play, and a better sense of progression. Two hours into the game, and you're pretty much playing with cheat codes. Kind of felt bad for the devs who worked on all the vehicles, because you never ever need them, or want to use them.
You became a God essentially. I just hate how SR4's story went kind of left it so they couldn't make another

Been replaying KOTOR 2 again. It's been years, but it's still great, especially with the Restored content mod and 1080 widescreen support.

Finished the final boss in Portal Knights and had a lot of fun with the kid but it got super grindy hitting the level cap and finding end game resources, almost to the point where I had to start a new universe just to mine materials.

Was able to scrape together enough resources to make some of the level cap weapons and armor upgrades and I started reading about Hard Mode bosses. Holy sh!t, the resources needed to fight the bosses are a slow as hell to collect. The Energy Crystals look to only drop from World Events like every 5 hours and I need 4 Crystals to summon 1 HM boss(single use by the way), or 8 to craft a sword.

Decided to mess around with Cloud Saves to see if I could upload a file, dump my inventory to my sons character, download the Cloud Save, and low and behold my old inventory was intact along with everything my sons character had on him. So I was able to duplicate any of my items. Spent some time doing that and now I have like 400 Titanium Bars and 300 Energy Crystals and a ton of Portal Cubes, Hard Mode Boss Crystals, and Mighty Health/Mana potions.

Normally I like end game farming for gear, but the farming required in Portal Knights would have taken me months and I don't think I'll be playing the game that much longer. Going to deck my kid out with some better gear and rush a Mage to max level to play around with a new build.

Hellblade releases August 8 for $29.99 on PC and PS4.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...e-from-ninja-theory-launches-august-8-on-ps4/

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/h...chive/2017/06/06/ragnarok-arrives-this-august

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/06/hellblade_gets_seriously_stressed_from_8th_august

Been following this game for a long time and it's my most anticipated release this year. Glad to see a release date and a nice price attached to it.

A lot of people complain about no more mid-tier games like we used to see on XBOX/PS2 and 360/PS3, but here's one and hopefully people put their money where their mouth is.

Back