General MMA Discussion & Future Lines - December, 2017

Stephens up to +170 now too. Easy decision there

Just came in to post this. Choi coming off a life changing beating, head movement seems pretty much nonexistent, now he’s going to stand and bang with Stephens. Feels like a pick em to me.

Just came in to post this. Choi coming off a life changing beating, head movement seems pretty much nonexistent, now he’s going to stand and bang with Stephens. Feels like a pick em to me.
I think Stephens power is overrated at this point (people talk like he has 1 shot kill power but hasn't stopped anyone since 2013) but this isn't a good match-up for Choi. Couple units on JS

I think Stephens power is overrated at this point (people talk like he has 1 shot kill power but hasn't stopped anyone since 2013) but this isn't a good match-up for Choi. Couple units on JS
Well he did stop Bermudez in 2015.

Surprised to see he's still only 31, been around forever (that's assuming wikipedia's not telling me fibs again).

Agreed, but at the same time he’s shown a great chin. If he can survive Choi’s power early I think there’s a good chance he takes over.

Well he did stop Bermudez in 2015.

Surprised to see he's still only 31, been around forever (that's assuming wikipedia's not telling me fibs again).
I stand corrected. I still think people overrate his power though

Bermudez was a flying knee tbf low % stuff. His power is defo overrated.

He hasn't put anyone away with a punch since 2011. I always cringe when I hear people add him to the list of heaviest punchers. He's had like 15 fights since putting someone away with a punch.

Assuncao also had`n put anyone away for 5 years, but he did it with Lopez. If Choi`s chin has got weaker from the last beating he had i think Stephens is one of the fighters that can exploit that for sure plus it is 5-rounder. But i dont think Choi`s chin is washed already.

What makes you say this isn't a good matchup for Choi?

What makes you say this isn't a good matchup for Choi?
Head movement/defense. Stephens is in the tail end of his career no doubt but I think he's slightly better standing than Choi both offensively and defensively.

Shouldn't be any more than a pick em and this is as high as +188

I think there's value on DC. Volk r1 is seems the logical hedge as his gas tank sucks. DC is a proven winner who can be trusted with a granite fuckin chin.

I think there's value on DC. Volk r1 is seems the logical hedge as his gas tank sucks. DC is a proven winner who can be trusted with a granite fuckin chin.
Yeah, but what about the side of the head or top of the skull? Volkan's boop doesn't have to hit the chin to sleep someone!

Thoughts on Cormier/Oezdemir?

I'm still not convinced on Volkan. He looked bad pre UFC and in his debut against OSP, got 2 arguable fluke KOs, and is now facing a top 5 P4P fighter.

I put 4u on Cormier -252 when Pinnacle opened it.

Cormier`s striking was so good against Bones, i dont think Volkan has any chances here, but R1 hedge seems logical.

Don't disagree. But Choi is young, too.

But it's definitely something to consider.

Knight might've been affected by the lamas beating, for example. Hard to know. Could see something like that with Choi

Totally a sensible standpoint , tho

Don't disagree. But Choi is young, too.

But it's definitely something to consider.

Knight might've been affected by the lamas beating, for example. Hard to know. Could see something like that with Choi

Totally a sensible standpoint , tho

For sure. With a full year away he's given himself time to recover from the Cub fight and we could see improvements from him here. Although, he did have a shoulder injury back in June so no telling how that affected his training. Lots of question marks.

Choi looked amazing in his first three UFC fights, no doubt. But at the same time none of them went past the 3 minute mark of round 1. As soon as he couldn't get Cub out of there early, things went south for him quickly. I wasn't impressed with his cardio either and this is a 5 rounder against a guy who doesn't slow down. It seems to me that Choi's primary path here is an early knockout and I'm not saying he can't get it, but Stephens has been fighting top tier competition for going on 10 years now and has been stopped with strikes only once.

I do agree with some of the other comments about Stephens punching power being overrated, but in his last couple fights he did hurt Edgar pretty badly with a head kick and destroyed Gil's leg to the extent that would have stopped a lot of other fighters. I think the Melendez fight also showed that he's gotten smarter as fighter and I expect he'll be cautious early here and look to drag Choi into deep waters.

I'm not suggesting a big bet on Stephens at this point, I'm at 1u +170 for now. But I really can't see any argument for betting Choi at this price.

I think this is a good stylistic match up for Stephens. Choi will engage him and won’t fight on the backfoot like Moicano did to frustrate him. Also, I think mentally Stephens will be really up for this fight since it’s a main event and Choi is pretty hyped.

Back