International Germany's Multicultural Experiment: 45% of Migrants Failed German Integration Courses

Europe's experiment with "Multiculturalism" rather than adopting North America's "Melting Pot" is...

• Total voters

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Thread Index:

Multiculturalism is a sham, says Angela Merkel

By Rick Noack
December 14, 2015

imrs.php

German Chancellor Angela Merkel

German Chancellor Angela Merkel's refugee policy has attracted praise from all over the world. Time magazine and the Financial Times newspaper recently named her Person of the Year, and delegates applauded her for so long at her party's convention on Monday that she had to stop them.

The speech that followed, however, may have surprised supporters of her policies: Multiculturalism remains a sham, she said, before adding that Germany may be reaching its limits in terms of accepting more refugees. "The challenge is immense," she said. "We want and we will reduce the number of refugees noticeably."

Although those remarks may seem uncharacteristic of Merkel, she probably would insist that she was not contradicting herself. In fact, she was only repeating a sentiment she first voiced several years ago when she said multiculturalism in Germany had "utterly failed."

"Of course the tendency had been to say, 'Let's adopt the multicultural concept and live happily side by side, and be happy to be living with each other.' But this concept has failed, and failed utterly," she said in 2010.

Repeating those ideas on Monday was meant to calm her supporters who have grown increasingly weary of the influx of refugees. Newcomers, Merkel stressed, should assimilate to German values and culture, and respect the country's laws.

Merkel emphasized that despite her commitment to limit the influx of refugees, she was standing by her decision to open the borders earlier this fall. It is a historical test for Europe, she said, and emphasized that other countries in Europe should accept more refugees to take some of the burden off Germany.

Refugees in need should be helped, she said, but she also suggested that not everyone who has come to Germany fulfilled that criteria. German authorities are expected to ramp up deportations in the coming months.

Merkel's party overwhelmingly voted to back her refugee policy, with only two out of about 1,000 delegates voting against it.

Merkel's comments may also reflect a particular understanding of assimilation. Many Germans expect immigrants to quickly learn the German language and to contribute to their communities and work life.

Multiculturalism usually has a positive connotation, but to Merkel it symbolizes the emergence of isolated societies within Germany and ultimately a failure of assimilating immigrants. Her policy toward the issue is supposed to avoid the creation of suburbs such as the areas around Paris, for instance, where young immigrants are isolated from the rest of society.

However, her speech comes at a sensitive time. Germany has opened its borders to approximately 1 million refugees this year, many of whom are still being accommodated in makeshift housing. Fights have broken out in multiple reception centers, raising fears about the country's ability to deal with the influx.

Local disputes have caused tensions in national politics as well. Last year, Germany's influential Christian Social Union party proposed that everyone in Germany should be required to speak German "in public and in private with their families." The public backlash forced the party to retract the draft resolution.

Compared to 2010, when Merkel first voiced her criticism of multiculturalism, there was little reaction Monday. The applause following her speech lasted nine minutes and again had to be interrupted by Merkel. "Thanks, but we have work to do," she said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../14/angela-merkel-multiculturalism-is-a-sham/

Last edited:
Does not compute.

If you wanted assimilation, Muslims are not the group to take in. Especially not to that extent.

She dun goofed

Then why is she letting in all the refugees?

She was pretty clear on that. You need to help those in need. Not all of those coming were in need and therefore a lot of people shall be deported. Those who stay shall assimilate.

Whether that is realistic or not is a fair question, of course, but tbh there is no grave inconsistency to what she said or did before.

She was pretty clear on that. You need to help those in need. Not all of those coming were in need and therefore a lot of people shall be deported. Those who stay shall assimilate.

Whether that is realistic or not is a fair question, of course, but tbh there is no grave inconsistency to what she said or did before.

So that is her plan all along? She better force assimilation upon them or the plan probably not going to work.

Multiculturism has allowed big butted Spanish girls to live across America.

I thank multicultural for that.

So that is her plan all along? She better force assimilation upon them or the plan probably not going to work.

She just did not make her position clear in public which gave her leeway to accomodate her party (which was not really behind her before that prett good speech).

Forcing assimilation is one part. The other is not creating Muslim ghettos (or not allowing the creation).

She's doubling down on a failed bet.

Strong leadership.

She's not wrong. And it's not contradictory to say that you need to help refugees for humanitarian reasons but that multiculturalism as defined as having disparate communities living side by side in a single nation has failed.

Multiculturalism consisting of Indian people not getting ridiculed for eating curry for lunch and coming to work with henna tattoos after a wedding = good.

Multiculturalism consisting of Muslims operating sharia courts in the UK = very very bad.

She's not wrong. And it's not contradictory to say that you need to help refugees for humanitarian reasons but that multiculturalism as defined as having disparate communities living side by side in a single nation has failed.

Multiculturalism consisting of Indian people not getting ridiculed for eating curry for lunch and coming to work with henna tattoos after a wedding = good.

Multiculturalism consisting of Muslims operating sharia courts in the UK = very very bad.

I think the two of us are very much on the same page when it comes to muslim immigration. Ithink Merkel is an idiot for thinking that these muslims will intergrate when allowed in such large numbers. There will always be a significant portion of the population of any group that will only intergrate when there is no option and because of the size of the refugee population it will remain viable living completely within the community.

There are 2nd generation Chinese living where I live who don't speak english, when I found that out I realized that multiculturalism is simply a setup for long term social conflict.

I think the two of us are very much on the same page when it comes to muslim immigration. Ithink Merkel is an idiot for thinking that these muslims will intergrate when allowed in such large numbers. There will always be a significant portion of the population of any group that will only intergrate when there is no option and because of the size of the refugee population it will remain viable living completely within the community.

There are 2nd generation Chinese living where I live who don't speak english, when I found that out I realized that multiculturalism is simply a setup for long term social conflict.

I agree. Germans are watching with baited breath to see what happens.

Of course she knows it's a sham, that's why she's promoting it.

Back