Gervonta Davis vs Abner Mares

SuwoopBangin

Praise Be Unto The Based
@red
Reaction score
As per Floyd's Instagram, via Mayweather Promotions. Some time in 2018, didnt say exactly when.

Exciting matchup I think, I'm not big on Tank but I think he could deal with Mares without too much trouble. Mares is fairly resilient though, I'm curious to see how Tank's power holds up against someone of Abner's quality.

Don't love the fight as it seems like a mismatch, but it's a reasonable showcase for Davis. We all know how well Davis deals with showcases, of course.

Still, though, could be worse. Davis should annihilate him, and that should set Davis up for better things. Davis is still a guy who was thrown in with Pedraza without much warning (and he succeeded in a massive way), so I'm still halfway optimistic we're going to get a reasonable treatment of him as a fighter.

You really think so? I think you're underestimating mares a bit.
Never held Mares super high, tbh. KOd in 1 by Gonzalez, 2 featherfisted beatings against Cruz, and just SD with a guy Tank ended in 3. I don't think he's faced a slick operator like Davis who has such great power, accuracy and athleticism. Stoppage inside 6, IMO.

Ugh. Nothing more than Davis treading water. He should've been fighting dudes like this (i.e. smaller former world champs) before he got a belt, not as title defences.

In fact, this is just the sort of cynical fight that makes me roll my eyes: a former bantam (who was a non-puncher there) who's now the featherweightish equivalent of Robert Guerrero & Lamont Peterson, i.e. Haymon's go-to "Recognisable Name To Beat On Who Should Take My Guy Some Rounds But Has Zero Chance of Winning" for the lower divisions.

It's a fight Mares can't possibly win.

I really like Abner, his run a fews years ago at BW, SBW and FW were impressive (whatever you may think of his tactics). I think he's one of boxings unsung heroes.

That said, he's gonna get his shit pushed in here. His limit is FW really (if that) and he's always been a bit chinny. That doesn't make well for a matchup vs a guy like Tank (who needs to stop feeding on blown up FWs IMO)

I really like Abner, his run a fews years ago at BW, SBW and FW were impressive (whatever you may think of his tactics). I think he's one of boxings unsung heroes.

That said, he's gonna get his shit pushed in here. His limit is FW really (if that) and he's always been a bit chinny. That doesn't make well for a matchup vs a guy like Tank (who needs to stop feeding on blown up FWs IMO)
Mares really does have one hell of a resume that even I overlook at times, even tho I know just how good it is.

Mares really does have one hell of a resume that even I overlook at times, even tho I know just how good it is.
He shouldn't have jumped up to FW IMO. He was looking really good at SBW. Granted, I think both Donaire and Rigo would have beaten him, but still, the FW jump really left him in a division where he was undersized and surrounded by fighters with legitimate talent.

He shouldn't have jumped up to FW IMO. He was looking really good at SBW. Granted, I think both Donaire and Rigo would have beaten him, but still, the FW jump really left him in a division where he was undersized and surrounded by fighters with legitimate talent.
Agreed, the Gonzalez fight is a perfect example of that, too. He's a pretty small guy to begin with for the weight but add to that the big dudes for the weight and there was disaster written all over that situation. Gonzalez was fighting up at 130, iirc, a big guy for the weight class, and a huge puncher with great technique.

Humble brag, I won some money on that fight using that exact same rationale. He was an over 8-1 dog in that fight and 11 or 12-1 to ko Mares. That's nuts. As you mentioned earlier he's always been a bit chinny and had a vulnerable overall quality to him throughout even the best part of his career. But he found ways to win at the lower weight whereas 126 didn't give him that leeway to get out of trouble when he was tired or hurt, etc.

Agree about Rigo and Nonito, also agree Gervonta is gonna fuck him up as well. He's still fairly young but the mileage and the fact that the lil guys age quicker than average makes this an uphill battle for him. Esp with Tank's power.

Never held Mares super high, tbh. KOd in 1 by Gonzalez, 2 featherfisted beatings against Cruz, and just SD with a guy Tank ended in 3. I don't think he's faced a slick operator like Davis who has such great power, accuracy and athleticism. Stoppage inside 6, IMO.

Never had any respect for Mares at all. During the peak of his career, he was excessively fouling his opponents in just about every fight.

Mares has slipped enough, and he gives his opponent openings when he comes in. He is also a not a big guy. I think Broner will do better than people expect. If Mares is aggressive the whole time, those openings Broner can slide counters through.

Not saying Broner wins but I wouldn't be surprised if he out-performs expectations.

Edit: man, given Davis' reecent behaviour, I just conflated him and Broner.....

Last edited:
Mares has slipped enough, and he gives his opponent openings when he comes in. He is also a not a big guy. I think Broner will do better than people expect. If Mares is aggressive the whole time, those openings Broner can slide counters through.

Not saying Broner wins but I wouldn't be surprised if he out-performs expectations.

... What?

Back