Getting back into BJJ after 12 year layoff.

seanb1979

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So I snapped my arm when I was 27 (sort of BJJ related, received a couple bad arm bars, tried a vegetarian diet for 6 months, then arm wrestled - bad combination.) I'm working on fixing that and a shoulder injury and then plan on training at our local top MMA gym, focusing mostly on BJJ.

I want to be somewhat grappling-fit - I've never stopped working out, except for the last couple of months, since I'm recovering from surgery. I never bothered to do grappling-specific strength and flexibility training before, but it just seems smart to do, plus I won't feel so worthless for the first month or two while my now-aging body adapts.

Are there any recommended routines I can supplement my workouts with? I know I can search videos on youtube but I thought someone here might have had a similar exit and re-entry into BJJ and be able to give some tips on what might have helped them.

I’m still waiting to go back. Dislocated my thumb several years ago and was out for a whole year then I drifted away myself. So best of luck to you. I’ll get off my ass someday too

So if I'm understanding you, you are starting jiu jitsu when you are in the worst shape of your life, while still recovering from injuries you partially received from jiu jitsu, and you want to know a routine?
Go running

So if I'm understanding you, you are starting jiu jitsu when you are in the worst shape of your life, while still recovering from injuries you partially received from jiu jitsu, and you want to know a routine?
Go running

Worst shape of my life? No idea where you got that from. I can run a couple miles without issue, and lift regularly. I've just been inactive for 6 weeks due to surgery. I'm mostly wanting to focus on some BJJ specific workouts. I normally lift 4-5 days a week with added cardio.

I have BJJ experience of about 5-6 years, although it's been so long I'll be doing some white belt shit again.

just get your ass back on the mat, explain to them you are just getting back into it and take it easy for the first month or so. Your biggest problems are going to be remembering to breathe and adjusting to having the pressure on you. I stopped due to back issues and other injury issues, but I went back twice before.

You already know you are going to be close to white belt level for a while, I'd recommend talking to the instructor and maybe starting back out as a white belt until you and the instructor feel you are back to form because if you show up with a blue belt or higher every shithead white belt is going to be gunning for you because they just love tapping out the higher belt. I experienced this, I saw another guy that had laid off for a couple years as a purple belt in his early 50's and his second class some white belt 20 year old injured his knee, then proceeded to brag about "beating a purple belt". If you don't want to do that, then I'd recommend being very choosy about who you roll with at first.

Back