Getting back into video gaming? Xbox One or Playstation 4?

If you aren't down with PlayStation then fuck you.

Only kidding but serious

Nah, no debating for me: it's clear what the superior gaming machine is. I was pointing out the vast amount of pros to owning a PC which will last for multiple gaming generations, as opposed to Sony and MS's console offerings.

That's not really true. Not as is. You have to keep upgrading your computer to play new games. That is the benefit to a console. You buy it once for a much cheaper price and don't have to worry about upgrading anything until the next generation comes along.

That's not really true. Not as is. You have to keep upgrading your computer to play new games. That is the benefit to a console. You buy it once for a much cheaper price and don't have to worry about upgrading anything until the next generation comes along.
I don’t 100% agree with that statement, IF you buy the top end stuff, you can probubaly get away with not upgrading for the same amount of time as a console cycle and be fine.

You might not be able to play ultra settings but you can still play fine.

Unless they make a new Crysis game that is, you need nasa supercomputers of the generation to run those fucks.

I don’t think there are any triple a games I couldn’t play at 1080p on my pc with some settings adjustments and it’s not even that stought and it’s all older generation hardware.

You're absolutely wrong. I play everything at ultra and get 60+(usually 120)FPS with only 16gb RAM and a 1070. When the next generation of consoles come out they will still be weaker than my current set up, lol. And buy it once? There have been three iterations of the Xbox 1 so far, and I know people that have bought each one. That's $1200 to run games on what would be Medium settings on my PC, at 30 FPS <36>

You're absolutely wrong. I play everything at ultra and get 60+(usually 120)FPS with only 16gb RAM and a 1070. When the next generation of consoles come out they will still be weaker than my current set up, lol. And buy it once? There have been three iterations of the Xbox 1 so far, and I know people that have bought each one. That's $1200 to run games on what would be Medium settings on my PC, at 30 FPS <36>

Lol buddy, your graphics card alone costs more than a console. 1. When did you buy your PC? And 2. How much did it cost you?

Lol buddy, your graphics card alone costs more than a console. 1. When did you buy your PC? And 2. How much did it cost you?
Buying new, you will have more money in a pc, but you can’t print from a ps4.

If you could only have one a pc is more useful. But to his point, you can upgrade components on the pc a bit at a time and stay more current.

But yes with today’s prices his card cost the same as a ps4.

Everyone’s use cases are different.
If I had to give up one the choice is easy for me, I have to have my pc.
Not only for fun stuff like photo and video editing but also running complex engineering software.

I can’t do that from my Xbox.

It really is apples to oranges. And. If everyone needs a strong pc, most can get by with a good phone these days really

If you are playing emulators, I'd assume you have a PC. Is it powerful enough for 3D gaming? If so, just get Steam and you are good. There is nothing outside of the occasional rare multi-plat (RDR2) that will come out on the Xbox that does not come out on PC.

If you are a serious gamer, PC/PS4 is the best possible combo with PC/PS4/Switch being the holy trinity. I have an Xbox One as well but it's pretty pointless if you have a PC and PS4. If you had to get just one system, PS4 is probably your best bet since you'll get all of the multi-plats + exclusives.

XBOX 1 X printing money

Xbox One X 'performing phenomenally' says NPD

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-x-performing-phenomenally-says-npd

Xbox One sales show the highest growth of the three major hardware platforms in the U.S. this year, and the Xbox One X in particular has been performing phenomenally... year-over-year growth like this at this point in the cycle has never been seen before, driven by launch of the Xbox One X and new content delivery efforts. It's a mid-generation turnaround the market's never seen before. This qualifies as phenomenal, even if not market leading.

As far as growth, percentage-wise, XB1(x) has the most room to show a dramatic increase in growth considering it has been outsold by PS4 and even Switch for most of 2018. So any doubling in sales will show tremendous growth even if the other two consoles are still outpacing it.

Bought the ps4 yesterday.
Bought the last of us, until dawn, horizon zero dawn, metal gear 5, some naruto game, spiderman, and bloodborne.

Gonna look into twitching one day, though maybe they'll be onto the next thing by then.

Bought the last of us, until dawn, horizon zero dawn, metal gear 5, some naruto game, spiderman, and bloodborne.

Gonna look into twitching one day, though maybe they'll be onto the next thing by then.

Good selection.

If you see God of War 2018 on sale be sure to pick that up as well.

The same suggestion for the GoW3 PS4 Remaster.

th

Jesus, look at those exclusives. One of the best lineups from any gen.

Getting a PS4 for Bloodborne is worth it alone.

Forget the other games on your list and just play that then move on to DS1 remastered, Darks 2 (SOTFS) and Dark Souls 3. DS2 should be played after DS1, but you can also play it after DS3.

I burned through all 4 titles in the last two months, some of the greatest experiences in gaming

Spiderman is great fun, Horizon is fucking cool and Middle Earth Shadow of War is just a blast.

I really liked the Last of Us remastered too. I'd play that then Resident Evil 2 remake, both are excellent 3rd person shooter/horror titles.

You have some gems already, have fun man!!

I haven't played spiderman, bloodborne, until dawn, or metal 5 yet.

Horizon zero dawn is my favorite so far. Started playing. checked the time later...3 hours went by. Fuck.

Same thing but 2 hours for last of us.

These new games are pretty engrossing.
Will buy Dark souls...only thing I know about it is a little blip that said it's a really hard game.

Once I saw this thread pop up I went to check out where the platform sales sit. You know, it's interesting, considering all the mud that gets shoveled on the XB1 about its poor game library, and I'm not saying there isn't an objective foundation to that contempt, but the tie-in ratio for the Xbox One globally sits barely below the PS4 in a virtual tie (6.15 vs. 6.11). Unless for some reason (that I can't figure) the digital sales skew radically in the PS4's favor, it would seem that most PS4 owners aren't actually taking advantage of the superior exclusive library.
http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Tie-Ratio/Global/

The Switch continues to defy expectations by increasing sales year-over-year for every month so far in 2019 except for the last month reported-- June. Depending on the holidays, it's actually a possibility it will catch and eclipse the Xbox One before the Scarlett is introduce as rumored for the holiday season in 2020. It's still a longshot, but it's possible.

The tie-in on the Switch is still terrible despite that a much larger portion of its game sales are still physical (2.12).

Once I saw this thread pop up I went to check out where the platform sales sit. You know, it's interesting, considering all the mud that gets shoveled on the XB1 about its poor game library, and I'm not saying there isn't an objective foundation to that contempt, but the tie-in ratio for the Xbox One globally sits barely below the PS4 in a virtual tie (6.15 vs. 6.11). Unless for some reason (that I can't figure) the digital sales skew radically in the PS4's favor, it would seem that most PS4 owners aren't actually taking advantage of the superior exclusive library.
http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Tie-Ratio/Global/

The Switch continues to defy expectations by increasing sales year-over-year for every month so far in 2019 except for the last month reported-- June. Depending on the holidays, it's actually a possibility it will catch and eclipse the Xbox One before the Scarlett is introduce as rumored for the holiday season in 2020. It's still a longshot, but it's possible.

The tie-in on the Switch is still terrible despite that a much larger portion of its game sales are still physical (2.12).

Your link is only for platforms that are no longer manufactured. can you post the tie-in link for the current gen systems comparison?

I do not think it's strange at all. people are still buying and playing games for their preferred systems. an xbox owner isn't abandoning his system even though it's not the most popular.

but if you look at overall sales of the biggest AAA games then you'll see double to triple ratio favoring PS4 depending on the game.

I am questioning the tie-in ratio numbers for the Switch. 2:1 must be old. Personally I have bought more games on my switch than my PS4 because the convenience is there. Indie games especially are popular to me because its pure convenience to have and own them on the go. But its not just me it's all my friends who own one. unless its a AAA game they buy everything from the online store.

As for Switch catching up to Xbox one in terms of overall sales it's going to happen. you may as well call it now. With the new Switch Lite hitting xmas this year it's going to keep sales hot. I am predicting Switch will take over after xmas if not then middle of March of 2020...

I am seeing an overall trend from of sales from hard copy to digital. I used to be hardcore disc buyer but I've switched to digital mostly now (unless it's AAA and its not guaranteed either). The convenience cannot be beat. If anything I think I was slowly converted through the "free games' you get from the PS Network account. you get 2-3 digital games per month for free and once claimed you can download whenever you want. I don't even bat an eye when I buy a game online now if choose to do it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-03-uk-video-game-sales-now-80-percent-digital

This article states 80% of sales are now digital. I am not sure if it includes cell phone games but if it does then this is a stipid stat.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/04/sony_data_shows_digital_sales_continue_to_grow_on_ps4

Digital sales for PS4 was 32% for the fiscal year. Previous fiscal year was 27% of sales were digital. For the quarter in 2018 it's 43% so it's rising and rising fast as shit.

Finally:
https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/18/may-2019-npd-the-end-of-a-generation/

“Dollar sales of tracked console, portable, and PC video game software reached $262 million in May 2019, falling 13 percent when compared to a year ago,” said Piscatella. “May 2019 experienced the lowest software sales for a May month since 2013, which hit only $222 million. Total dollar sales of new releases in May 2019 are the lowest for new releases in a May month since May 1998.”

But while May was weak, sales are still just ahead of last year.

“Year-to-date dollar sales of tracked console, portable, and PC video game software have increased 2 percent, to $2.2 billion,” said Piscatella. “Nintendo Switch sales growth has been offset by declines across all other platforms.”

----

I know I know I am all over the place...

Last edited:
I have PS4 and play it all the time. You really can't go wrong with it unless there's must-have exclusives for you on XBox like Halo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back