Getting Old is Going to Suck.

I hurt my back deadlifting about a month ago. I'm now functional for most sports I play, but I've been back in the gym a few times since then and gotten the "pop" you described a few times.

Feels like shit today after light bent-over rows yesterday :( I mean what's the fucking point. Just got a beautiful white Inzer belt for Christmas too.

Do you have a primary care physician? I'd seriously go. I used to not like to go to the doctor and would just go to urgent care. It's so much easier once you have an established doctor. The steroids help tremendously. The first time that I strained my back, I went to a chiro who wanted to "work on me" for 2 weeks. My doctor laughed and said that it would take about two weeks to get better if I did nothing. On the steroids, it took about 2 days.

BRB headed straight to doctor.

Bear the yoke while you're young, gather ye acorns, store them up, so you can enjoy your later years.

Good advice!!!

I'm 43 now, but I believe I'm in the best shape I've ever been. Even counting high school while doing judo, wrestling and playing football. That being said, I ache every damn day. There are nights I get home from my Muay Thai gym and just about crumble. The spirit is willing, but the body isn't always prepared

I lift weights a lot to avoid this. Going to a gym though instead of working out at home has lead to me not hitting my lower back like I used to. I need to remedy that ASAP.

I’m using machines instead.

I put on a lot of weight from 26-30 but somehow I’ve lost a lot of weight from August to January, probably because there is a lot of heavy lifting in my work.

As part of my workout, I’d lift a 45kg barbell overhead in a military press six times, then a 40kg eight on the second set and five in the third set. I felt great the last time I did it, then I got in the shower and bent over to wash my shins and feet...

...a move which sent an intense wave of pain through my lower back and legs, and made my legs feel numb. Lasted for a week or two.

I’m not old, around 31, and I had hurt my back in the past, but that day really taught me to look after my back. Now I just do the shoulder press machine and just do the military press once or twice, just to prove to myself that I can still do it...

I’m using machines instead.

I put on a lot of weight from 26-30 but somehow I’ve lost a lot of weight from August to January, probably because there is a lot of heavy lifting in my work.

As part of my workout, I’d lift a 45kg barbell overhead in a military press six times, then a 40kg eight on the second set and five in the third set. I felt great the last time I did it, then I got in the shower and bent over to wash my shins and feet...

...a move which sent an intense wave of pain through my lower back and legs, and made my legs feel numb. Lasted for a week or two.

I’m not old, around 31, and I had hurt my back in the past, but that day really taught me to look after my back. Now I just do the shoulder press machine and just do the military press once or twice, just to prove to myself that I can still do it...

I've actually done this as well making the move to the gym. The only thing I really do free weights anymore is the bench press and as long as I keep my elbows tucked it's fine.

I recommend the Cain AKA workout regimen for everyone here, especially the elderly.

9JOf1nv.gif

iCpLiE.gif

I hurt my back deadlifting about a month ago. I'm now functional for most sports I play, but I've been back in the gym a few times since then and gotten the "pop" you described a few times.

Feels like shit today after light bent-over rows yesterday :( I mean what's the fucking point. Just got a beautiful white Inzer belt for Christmas too.

BRB headed straight to doctor.

I was in your situation a couple years ago. I've had the "pop" maybe 3 times total. Twice it was on a top set of deadlift grinding out a rep. I actually was just going to drop deadlifts, and did do that for a while. Now I'm back at it and still lift max effort. The difference is that I'll never grind out a rep that is more than 90% of my 1RM.

But yea, I know this is my 3rd time saying it, but I cannot recommend enough going to the doctor to get the steroids. They'll also give you a non-narcotic muscle relaxer and some stretches to do. I think the steroids were like $9 after insurance, and I have shit insurance lol.

Threw my back out this week picking up a box of brake rotors from too low and after about 3 days of healing it popped again yesterday, a little bit worse.

I can barely wipe my own ass right now and I have a wedding to attend on Friday. Don't want to go to the doctor just for pills because I don't want to sit in a waiting room with a bunch of flu patients. I'm not even fucking 40 and I need a cane to stand up. Don't even really want to smoke weed cuz I don't want to cough.

The human spine is proof there is no god.

I never should have gone snowboarding. Ever.

How is your body failing?

Next time remember , Legs straight and round that back out , you want to recruit your legs as little possible , that's just asking for it.

On a serious note , I can relate. I have occasional problems with my Sacroiliac joint . When it locks up I'm pretty useless , I usually only have a problem if I'm not in shape . Being unfit or too heavy.....even mildly , is the cause of the bulk of back issues in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitness after 40 has been a bitch. The culmination of lower body issues has all but killed my desire to do anything cardio other than walking. The strength is still there, but the physique is going away. Now I’m just looking fat strong. It’s sad when my physical therapist looks at me and is “surprised” that I could do the task they gave me.

It’s embarrassing, and needs to be addressed by me. My main issue doing all this without advancing the grade of displacement on my spine. Diet can only address so much.

Sounds like you either need to cycle or get in the pool , man.

Threw my back out this week picking up a box of brake rotors from too low and after about 3 days of healing it popped again yesterday, a little bit worse.

I can barely wipe my own ass right now and I have a wedding to attend on Friday. Don't want to go to the doctor just for pills because I don't want to sit in a waiting room with a bunch of flu patients. I'm not even fucking 40 and I need a cane to stand up. Don't even really want to smoke weed cuz I don't want to cough.

Sounds like you need to vote republican TS

25a9my.gif

Whatever hotdog gif that is it isn't showing up on my computer.

I made a "doctors" appointment at ZoomCare (I sound poor) and got the old-lady hookup on some percs. She offered a fentanyl patch and I was like noooooo thanks.

<SelenaWow>

In your 40s, I dont see no reason not to go on Testosterone or some sort of PED. Quality of Life is all that matters and spending that time banged up sounds dreadful. Recovery etc are all improved so why not do it with proper blood work and good doctors.

Getting old, life gets better except for knees that are manageable at 38 crew checking in.

Get strong, warm up religiously and don't go 1 rep max cold.

Back