Getting stacked during triangle

I've seen it taught a few ways to get the lock -just shooting the hips up (which I don't like) and using the foot on their hip to shoot your hip way up (which I like).

Are you using foot on their hip to push them away instead of just pushing yourself up?

Mostly to stretch them out and break their posture. Like any sub, it is not so much an attack as an option that comes from breaking down your opponent positionally. That is why against good opponents it comes as they are defending a series of other threats, not a single attack.

So in the first instance I am attacking the posture and grips to get an angle, and in the second I have a shot at the triangle if this is successful.

You will see some guys working from a ‘loose triangle’ as a position in itself, but with few exceptions they have very long and skinny limbs, are very flexible, and the strategy stops working efficiently against higher belts ... see early Ryan Hall for example.

Some of the most enjoyable F12 banter in a while.

BJJ Rage back in his glory (FWIW he is also correct).

i also think the triangler's posture plays a big part as to stackability. if they're flat on their shoulderblades, they're easily stackable.

if they're sitting up, not so much. either crunching up from the front, or rolling sideways into the person you're triangling, should give you enough downward pressure to keep them from posturing up.

Cutting the angle is definitely the best.

Inferior techniques can sometimes still be pretty good and work in the right hands even if they're not that absolute most efficient way to do something. Sometimes people extend their bodies to finish guillotines and still get the tap, for example, even though crunching is much more efficient. Arguing 'it can work this way' is irrelevant to the argument if it's the best way or not.

The fact that someone who is generally well regarded teaches something a certain way doesn't mean it's the best way or even a particularly good way, whether that's Ryan Hall or Ryron Gracie. Personally, I tend to look towards how the people who consistently pull stuff off in high level competition teach it as the best way. Hall's a guy I trust on 50/50 and triangles probably above all else. He also has a passing DVD that's probably fine, but I'd rather study Lucas Lepri's as that's an area of strength I associate with Lepri and not Hall. I imagine Ryron Gracie could also teach you a heel hook, but if I'd already learned it from Gordon Ryan I would probably assume Gordon's way was better if even if Ryron could get a lot of guys to tap.

It's important never to forget the degree to which even very high level, successful practitioners regurgitate technique the way they were taught it, either because they've never really taken the time to examine how it actually works for themselves and others in practice, or because it's not an important part of their game so they've never devoted much time to breaking it down and trying to improve it. There are very, very few groups like the DDS that spend all their time breaking down the finer points of almost all technical areas of BJJ (the Mendes brothers also come to mind), and so when famous people show stuff neither they nor their students are known for doing it's not at all absurd to assume it's just a pass through of the way they were taught and not of any special value.

Cutting the angle is definitely the best.

Inferior techniques can sometimes still be pretty good and work in the right hands even if they're not that absolute most efficient way to do something. Sometimes people extend their bodies to finish guillotines and still get the tap, for example, even though crunching is much more efficient. Arguing 'it can work this way' is irrelevant to the argument if it's the best way or not.

The fact that someone who is generally well regarded teaches something a certain way doesn't mean it's the best way or even a particularly good way, whether that's Ryan Hall or Ryron Gracie. Personally, I tend to look towards how the people who consistently pull stuff off in high level competition teach it as the best way. Hall's a guy I trust on 50/50 and triangles probably above all else. He also has a passing DVD that's probably fine, but I'd rather study Lucas Lepri's as that's an area of strength I associate with Lepri and not Hall. I imagine Ryron Gracie could also teach you a heel hook, but if I'd already learned it from Gordon Ryan I would probably assume Gordon's way was better if even if Ryron could get a lot of guys to tap.

It's important never to forget the degree to which even very high level, successful practitioners regurgitate technique the way they were taught it, either because they've never really taken the time to examine how it actually works for themselves and others in practice, or because it's not an important part of their game so they've never devoted much time to breaking it down and trying to improve it. There are very, very few groups like the DDS that spend all their time breaking down the finer points of almost all technical areas of BJJ (the Mendes brothers also come to mind), and so when famous people show stuff neither they nor their students are known for doing it's not at all absurd to assume it's just a pass through of the way they were taught and not of any special value.

thanks, exactly my thoughts

I personally think the triangle is the tightest if you can post on the hip and shoulder walk straight back a few inches before cutting the angle. If they begin to regain some posture while you shoulder walk, you can always just cut the corner at that time and underhook the leg.

I personally think the triangle is the tightest if you can post on the hip and shoulder walk straight back a few inches before cutting the angle. If they begin to regain some posture while you shoulder walk, you can always just cut the corner at that time and underhook the leg.

thats cause your squeeze is not optimal. Shoulder walk allows you to get as little possible of shoulder in the lock, if you are perpendicular, as long as you lock it on top of the back of the head, you can literally squeeze the living shit out of someones head, for much longer...

thats cause your squeeze is not optimal. Shoulder walk allows you to get as little possible of shoulder in the lock, if you are perpendicular, as long as you lock it on top of the back of the head, you can literally squeeze the living shit out of someones head, for much longer...
I can finish the triangle without my hands, i think my squeeze is alright. If you have any shoulder exposed after you lock in, you're giving up space and probably will have to use your hands to finish

I can finish the triangle without my hands, i think my squeeze is alright. If you have any shoulder exposed after you lock in, you're giving up space and probably will have to use your hands to finish

I’m sorry i didn’t mean to say you, i was talking in general terms, but normally that’s the problem. Anyways, if you are staying square, you must squeeze with your abductors, which again, ain’t wrong, its just not the most efficient squeeze, that’s all.

Regarding the shoulder exposure, not really, at most you should grab your shin to keep the guy not rolling down ( I rather finish the triangle from bottom, some people like to go for the mounted triangle) this comes from squeezing in a stomp and curl motion, the one Ryan halls shows on his dvd.

I finish a good number of triangles without ever locking my feet if I cut the angle well enough.

Back