GGG vs. Canelo, Who Won?

Who won the fight?

• Gennady Golovkin

• Canelo Alvarez

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.
Today I met a Mexican and asked him why Canelo looks Irish. He said the part of Mexico he is from had a lot of French immigrants.
Alvarez sounds French does it? And the amount of pale skinned ginger haired French people is legendary.

Seriously though, the French weren't in that region very long, red hair isn't just an Irish thing, think vikings or Germanic states in history as well as Irish and Celtic people.

I'm not going to get into an ethnic debate because some people are bizarrely interested that people who died centuries ago in their family tree happen to be from there and get protective but traditional French coloring is about as likely as saying he has ginger hair and pale skin because he has relatives from Greece.

He's from Guadalajara so yes the French held that for a couple of years, but that's centuries ago.

Today I met a Mexican and asked him why Canelo looks Irish. He said the part of Mexico he is from had a lot of French immigrants.

Wut-XD-random-29839102-500-276.jpg

Canelo's white because God felt like trolling Chavez and JMM.

I'm honestly shocked that people are calling this a robbery. Shocked! As far as i'm concerned, the vast majority of the rounds were extremely close and hard to score. I honestly gave 8 rounds to Canelo but i can see some of those rounds being close enough to go either way. Regardless, i can't see this as any sort of robbery. It was that close, and when something is that close, a draw is not that bad of a decision.

I think GGG won in volume, Canelo won in quality. GGG was pushing forward and throwing a lot of punches, but it looked like Canelo's punches were cleaner and harder.

Looking at compubox, i guess my theory makes some sense. GGG easily landed more punches overall, but when we look at power punches, Canelo landed more in 7 rounds.

The way you judge this fight depends a lot on what you value. I value quality. Shots that have real impact and land completely clean. A lot of judges see it this way too. But at the end of the day, it was very close. Not a robbery at all.

BTW: Canelo has great defense and a lot of shots that looked like they were landing actually weren't. It's important to take this into consideration. Much like Floyd Mayweather.

It depends on who's fighting. I know that's stating the obvious but jiu jitsu guys analysis of striking is generally hilarious and I've never heard a boxing analyst at a live event say "he's getting fucked up" as part of color commentary. They also call it boxing when realistically it's striking. Climb into the octagon in a boxing stance and you might as well have spent your entire camp practising how to tap out. Box using an mma stance and you might as well have practised by having someone smash you in the face with a medicine ball.

Thinking about it what criteria do you have to meet to get appointed to an mma fight as a judge?

I don't think MMA is hard to score. I think UFC has fucked up there own scoring. Little things like some guy smashing your face and omg hes hurt and got the take down that did zero damage. He won the round lol. Not to mention a 10 point must system is dumb in MMA

7-5 GGG or 6-6 Draw for me

If bird's score card was 115-113 Alvarez no one would be freaking out

People would still think canelo lost. They just wouldn't think it was corruption at its finest. Floyd vs canelo was too close to this fight not to think something was up

I'm honestly shocked that people are calling this a robbery. Shocked! As far as i'm concerned, the vast majority of the rounds were extremely close and hard to score. I honestly gave 8 rounds to Canelo but i can see some of those rounds being close enough to go either way. Regardless, i can't see this as any sort of robbery. It was that close, and when something is that close, a draw is not that bad of a decision.

I think GGG won in volume, Canelo won in quality. GGG was pushing forward and throwing a lot of punches, but it looked like Canelo's punches were cleaner and harder.

Looking at compubox, i guess my theory makes some sense. GGG easily landed more punches overall, but when we look at power punches, Canelo landed more in 7 rounds.

The way you judge this fight depends a lot on what you value. I value quality. Shots that have real impact and land completely clean. A lot of judges see it this way too. But at the end of the day, it was very close. Not a robbery at all.

BTW: Canelo has great defense and a lot of shots that looked like they were landing actually weren't. It's important to take this into consideration. Much like Floyd Mayweather.

Theres no way in hell that canelo won 8 rounds. Every round was competitive and I'm not calling a robbery but there was a clear winner in those rounds. I cant even find 7 rounds let alone 8...holy shit

Theres no way in hell that canelo won 8 rounds. Every round was competitive and I'm not calling a robbery but there was a clear winner in those rounds. I cant even find 7 rounds let alone 8...holy shit

Again, it depends on how you value. Maybe you and i judge fights in a very different way. I look for quality, and the fact is that when Canelo unleashed combinations they just landed harder and cleaner. That's why i gave him so many rounds. The rounds were close, but almost everytime something impressive landed it was by Canelo. GGG was throwing a lot, but i didn't quit feel the impact as much as i felt with Canelo, and make no mistake about it, a HUGE percentage of GGG's punches weren't landing clean. And that can be seen perfectly in certain replays and slow motion.

Also, if you go to compubox you will see Canelo landed more power shots in 7 rounds. To have him winning the fight is not that ridiculous. It's all a matter of opinion and perspective. There is no one unique undisputable way of judging fights. Sadly, some people act like there is.

I don't have a problem with people who say GGG won. Like i said, some of those rounds i gave to Canelo could have been given to GGG. They were very, very close. My problem is with people who act like if this was a huge robbery.

I just "watched it" last week, and thought it was close, but figured GGG by a couple of rounds or so. I'm going to try to score it tonight and if I don't get the chance I have it on the DVR, but I can't vote, yet.

It wasn't wasn't a robbery, just one queer scorecard.

After 9, I see it 8-1 GGG, myself. Canelo needing a KO going into the 10th. 3 or 4 close rounds, the rest CLEAR for GGG. Not a close fight as I score while watching. Seemed closer live.

Meh, I end up with 9-3 for GGG. There were 6 close rounds I gave 3 to each, but the other 6 I gave to GGG were clear in my book.

So put me down for robbery, I guess. GGG won that fight easily, IMO. I'll go vote.

I gotta watch it again. Hadn't seen it since the live broadcast.

go away, boxing does not need you. other then the 118 110 score, if you read the responses in these threads, it was 50/50 as to who everyone thought won which is a draw
I have not heard one boxing pro or reporter say that Canelo won. Not one. Let me guess, you have a GSP picture one one wall and a Canelo pix on the other.

I have not heard one boxing pro or reporter say that Canelo won. Not one. Let me guess, you have a GSP picture one one wall and a Canelo pix on the other.
Not one? Ok.

Meh, I end up with 9-3 for GGG. There were 6 close rounds I gave 3 to each, but the other 6 I gave to GGG were clear in my book.

So put me down for robbery, I guess. GGG won that fight easily, IMO. I'll go vote.

I had rounds 4-9 EASILY for GGG. That is 6. Round 10, round 3 I thought were GGGs also, but closer. That is 8 rounds.

1,2,11,12 were close. I have to Canelo since he more popular. At least 8 for GGG. Probably 9 or 10 rounds for GGG.

Pretty clear to me

Back