Gi recommendations

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I want a white gi in case I visit a gym with a white only policy.

I'm considering the tatami estilo 5.0 or the lighter srs comp. Does anyone have experience with the srs comp? Is it durable?

Also, I heard that tatami shrinks a lot in the dryer. I'm 6'2 and my weight fluctuates from 190-210. I was thinking about an A3L or an A4. Any recommendations? Open to other brands as well.

I want a white gi in case I visit a gym with a white only policy.

I'm considering the tatami estilo 5.0 or the lighter srs comp. Does anyone have experience with the srs comp? Is it durable?

Also, I heard that tatami shrinks a lot in the dryer. I'm 6'2 and my weight fluctuates from 190-210. I was thinking about an A3L or an A4. Any recommendations? Open to other brands as well.

I own four gi's:
Hyperfly Hyperlyte in Blue (A2)
Sub Apparel light in Black (A2)
Tatami Nova 2016 in Navy Blue (A2)
Budo Gi in White (A3)

My favourite is my Hyperlyte. I was also the most expensive. I find the jacket and pants to be the best quality of them all.
My tatami is nice but it is super thick and I have been waiting till winter to wear it. I also don't like the pants as much as my hyperfly ones.

I would say my Hyperfly gi is my go to gi and it is holding up pretty well. I trained in Bali for a month and handwashed my gi daily the whole time and it had no issues.
My sub appparel gi did not hold up nearly aswell and the knees got shredded on the mats.

I would just grab whatever is on sale at the time from one of the better known brands. Though to be honest I don't think gi brands matter that much these days.

I own four gi's:
Hyperfly Hyperlyte in Blue (A2)
Sub Apparel light in Black (A2)
Tatami Nova 2016 in Navy Blue (A2)
Budo Gi in White (A3)

My favourite is my Hyperlyte. I was also the most expensive. I find the jacket and pants to be the best quality of them all.
My tatami is nice but it is super thick and I have been waiting till winter to wear it. I also don't like the pants as much as my hyperfly ones.

I would say my Hyperfly gi is my go to gi and it is holding up pretty well. I trained in Bali for a month and handwashed my gi daily the whole time and it had no issues.
My sub appparel gi did not hold up nearly aswell and the knees got shredded on the mats.

I would just grab whatever is on sale at the time from one of the better known brands. Though to be honest I don't think gi brands matter that much these days.
What about shrinkage in the dryer?

Comp SRS is made for competitions so is definitely durable. The material is softer than Estilo 5.0, it feels great.

What about shrinkage in the dryer?

I hang dry mine and no issues. I have 4 gis so I don't need a drier even when I train 2x a day.
If it's your only gi you will have a problem. If it's for the occasional white gi gym only visit then you can train every 24 hrs.

Flow, kings, hyper fly, all good cost effective options. Splurge and get an origin or shoyoroll.

I've got 2 tatami estios.

They're my favourite gis.
For reference I've owned:

3 academy gis (Brazilian fightwear).
1 no brand gi (custom made when I was training with a small group).
1 adidas judo gi
1 adidas bjj gi
1 blitz judo gi

Of the gyms I've traveled to that had a white gi only policy- rental gi's were often available.

If you are just buying a gi for travel, I would recommend the lightest weight you can find, that would dry quickly hanging in a bathroom.

I'm 6'0 190, and a Tatami A3 shrunk down perfectly for me and is currently my favorite gi.

My two favorite are my Kingz Noboru bamboo gi, and my War Tribe Hydrogen gi. Both ridiculously comfortable and the WT Hydrogen only weighs 3 lbs.

I'm 5'7 1/2 and around 62 kgs.

Fuji - Good price and durable. Size A1
Kingz Kimonoz - durable, good quality gi, reasonably priced, can't go wrong with this. Best fit me (after shrinking). Size A1
Shoyoroll - High end price, some difficulty getting one. Weird sizing. Size A1F

Back