Gibson files for bankruptcy

Lonesome Crow

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
https://www.wsj.com/articles/guitar-maker-gibson-brands-files-for-bankruptcy-1525177170

"Storied guitar maker Gibson Brands Inc. filed for bankruptcy protection Tuesday as the company has struggled with its debt load after a series of acquisitions...

...The company said in the bankruptcy filing that it has debts of between $100 million and $500 million, including owing at least $100,000 to 26 other companies, including many suppliers."

On the one hand, it's sad that a legendary company has come to this but on the other, a lot of their guitars are overpriced, have poor quality control and their treatment of retailers and customers is bullshit.

They had it coming.
They stopped caring as a company and just never moved forward.
Crappy, over priced, ugly designs, etc.

They should have learned from Marshall who still iconic as ever.
Well price, top quality, iconic/cool designs and amazing sound.
I got a set of Marshall Bluetooth headphones and a Bluetooth speaker and fuck I love them, I'll take them over beats any day.

When I first saw that auto tune system I legit thought it was a joke.

All of my band friends hate the modern ones and either play other brands or have older ones that they arent ever letting go cuz they cant be replaced

I feel like this has been a long time coming and hopefully a leaner better company comes out of this .

I have a hard time picturing a world where this isnt the golden standard of live shows and recordings ,whats everyone gonna do get a g3 ?

Mike_Ness_RdelS_5.jpg

Epiphone put them under imo

Made the same quality guitars for half the price. Go into any Guitar Center its a million epiphones.

Always been a Fender guy. They still make quality

Made the same quality guitars for half the price. Go into any Guitar Center its a million epiphones.

lol Nope.

That's like saying a Mexican Strat sounds and feels identical to an American Strat, which I wouldn't agree with either (tho I'll confess I haven't messed with too many), but of the ones I have -there's a difference. And using guitar center as your model to prove this is a bit off too, being that they opt for cheap Fenders to put on their wall too. Not to mention, Guitar Center is an awful company in and of itself.

Epihones are ok for mid price guitars, but you aren't getting the same tone there - I say this as an owner of both too. I won't argue against Gibson's being over priced tho, Standards going for 3k plus is ridiculous. But a real Gibson feels better in that hands and looks nicer as well. Not to mention, a real Gibson will hold its value or increase, something I wouldn't say for Epiphone.

All mine are from the 90's -including my Epi's.

What sunk Gibson is their foolhardy attempts to invest in many other ventures where they were competing with the likes of Sony and so on. They should have stayed in their lane and stuck to guitar making. +Jaun on the treatment of customers tho, they have been shit with that from what I know.

Part of this is also based on a shrinking customer base, with the musical landscape shifting. There aren't as many people buying guitars as there once was.

Too bad but the world only needs so many Les Pauls.

They'll just go the custom shop route, I'd imagine. Once Gibson is out of business for a couple of years, demand will return.

Always been a Fender guy. They still make quality
I'm a fender guy too but their products have got dramatically more expensive over past decade. I bought my American Standard for 899. What do they cost now? 1300?

I'm a fender guy too but their products have got dramatically more expensive over past decade. I bought my American Standard for 899. What do they cost now? 1300?
The value of the dollar has gone up too.

I just bought an American Tele for 1400

To add to this- Gibson owns epiphone. They also own Baldwin, Tobias and like a dozen other instrument makers.

To add to this- Gibson owns epiphone. They also own Baldwin, Tobias and like a dozen other instrument makers.

Rumor is Joe Bonamassa may be in on buying Gibson out. That could be a very good thing.

Rumor is Joe Bonamassa may be in on buying Gibson out. That could be a very good thing.
I don't agree. Bonamassa stamps his name on anything he gets paid to endorse. I honestly can't imagine that Bonamasa has that sort of money.

I don't agree. Bonamassa stamps his name on anything he gets paid to endorse. I honestly can't imagine that Bonamasa has that sort of money.

I think he has partners, at least thats my guess.

Bonamassa is a collector tho, that's what I think is intriguing about him spearheading it. Better than the rumor of a large 'Chinese investment' company buying them.

I think he has partners, at least thats my guess.

Bonamassa is a collector tho, that's what I think is intriguing about him spearheading it. Better than the rumor of a large 'Chinese investment' company buying them.
I've heard mixed things about Bonamassa but I guess it doesn't really matter. Seems like it'd be dumb to buy it.

I guess I'll have to just hold on to my les paul forever now.

It would be cool if "heritage guitars" who operate out of the original Kalamazoo former gibson factory with former gibson employees could buy Gibson.

Back