GIF: Eddie Alvarez with some slick boxing

Slow and telegraphed punches sure helped him out.
His own or Gaethje's.

This was an amazing fight and a pretty good sequence for Eddie. But, if I'm being honest, this is slow, plodding boxing. This seems to take the fight out of context & make it look like the semi-final round of the Novice Senior's division at an amateur show in South Dakota.

Rarely has someone been as outclassed as Eddie in the Conor fight.

It looked like Conor was fighting a random person from the audience :D

I never expected that.

Where was this vs Conors. I know he admitted to blowing his gameplan but still. It could have been such a great fight
that's the thing, he can't fight like this against conor.

he can't stay in the pocket throwing body shots like that, because literally anytime he tried to get close to conor he got countered bad. conor's hands are on a completely different level than the rest of these guys.

Last edited:
His own or Gaethje's.

This was an amazing fight and a pretty good sequence for Eddie. But, if I'm being honest, this is slow, plodding boxing. This seems to take the fight out of context & make it look like the semi-final round of the Novice Senior's division at an amateur show in South Dakota.
Eddie has pro level boxing, he spars and trains with the best philly pros daily, you're a moron. Outside of McGregor no one at LW has a distinctive boxing advantage over Eddie.

This is not good boxing. He is moving his head well, but he is now boxing well. These are not the same thing.
you don't know what you're talking about, post your boxing resume.

Eddie didn't do that against Conor because he couldn't. Being able to evade slow, sloppy, telegraphed Gathje punches is very different from evading Conor. He'd have been KO'd even earlier if he tried that against McGregor.

It definitely helped that Justin went in there looking to get KO'd or get the KO.

yea that was impressive - not really surprsing though, eddie is a great striker

Eddie has pro level boxing, he spars and trains with the best philly pros daily, you're a moron. Outside of McGregor no one at LW has a distinctive boxing advantage over Eddie.
That's not what I said, idiot. I was specifically referring to the clip. Never said that Eddie isn't a good boxer. I said the context of the clip doesn't show how great the fight was, nor is it a good example of Eddie's slick boxing. If you knew what the fuck you were looking at in this gif, you'd realize who the moron was.

I'm no Conor fan (not even close) but that is some ownage right there.Talk about a horrible game plan from Eddie and his team..
he was supposed to circle left and wrestle and he circled right and boxed.
his team had a good plan, eddie just didnt follow it

Punches that would kill you.... you're a random asshole..... so fuck you
Truth hurts huh. I promise my boxing technique is better than Eddie Alvarez’s. I’ve been boxing since I was 7. Don’t misconstrue this, not saying I could Eddie’s ass.

he was supposed to circle left and wrestle and he circled right and boxed.
his team had a good plan, eddie just didnt follow it
I don't know why, but Eddie has a terrible habit of moving off line to avoid a strike & then moving right back to the original position, rather than counter from the dominant angle &/or maintain the dominant angle by continuing in that direction. It makes for great exchanges between combatants, but it's also a major contributor to Eddie being in so many close fights that he could have won cleaner. Good & bad, I guess. It serves the fans, but it goes against a lot of what he's working on in the gym.

This is not good boxing. He is moving his head well, but he is now boxing well. These are not the same thing.
I'm not even sure about the head movement. It's more reactionary, rather than defensive. He's not always moving his head where he should here & sometimes he's just reacting....not even effective head movement. Eddie can do all of these things & he does do these things. This just isn't the best example. It looks better because Gaethje is just missing. Also, the feet....Eddie could make things so much easier here with better positioning....AND HE HAS THE TOOLS.

Gaethje was stupidly head hunting. He knows that his success has come from leg kicks and body shots, yet he spent far too much time looking for Eddie's head in that fight.

I hope Gaethje learns from that.

Where was this vs Conors. I know he admitted to blowing his gameplan but still. It could have been such a great fight

Styles make fights. Eddie’s style was tailor made for Conor. Made him look worse than he really is. Eddie is one of the best LWs of all time.

Back