GIF: Eddie Alvarez with some slick boxing

Gaethje went to the Jose Aldo school of closing your eyes and winging haymakers as hard as you can.

Good head movement and body shots by Eddie in that clip. He is circling towards his opponent's dominant hand which is generally not what you want to do, but you do want to mix things up and not be too predictable. Gaethje was not using any fakes or feints to set up his punches which makes it easier for Eddie to react correctly to what is about to happen.

Last edited:
Justin's defense leaves him wide open for body shots.
Had to be part of the game plan, plus he eats shots to the head like nothing

Gaethje havê an amataeur boxing, he telegraphed his punches, Eddie saw them coming

You know Cassius Clay hespects the hands of the Underground King Joe...

His hands are okay for MMA, in actual boxing he still has a long way to go.

They had different goals. Conor wanted to everything quickly, so he can start negotiations regarding Floyd / UFC stock, spare his pregnant wife the stress of watching him fight
Eddie wanted to embarrass Conor and to prove how Conor is a fraud. Had he fought Conor like he was just another opponent, we wouldn't see such one-sided fight. But Eddie probably loses to Conor most of the time these days
That is a whole lot of bullshit rationalizing.

I'm no Conor fan (not even close) but that is some ownage right there.Talk about a horrible game plan from Eddie and his team..
I mean, the guy had a difficult time closing the distance to set up his takedowns. After getting cracked a couple of times he became tentative and didn’t fully commit to them which is why I believe Conor was able to shrug him off. I doubt Conor’s wrestling has gotten that much better as of late.

I love MMA but the boxing in the sport is so ugly. Eddie slips those punches because they are in slow motion and then he returns some body shots with nothing on them. So many punches in MMA are just winged in, from the hip, no step into them with zero power on them.

And I like Alvarez but this gif was not impressive

I'm no Conor fan (not even close) but that is some ownage right there.Talk about a horrible game plan from Eddie and his team..

Not really. I dont like how Conor kills lightweight at the moment but his sense of distance is unmatched. No one else stays this calm and let the opponent punch full force within a centimeter of his face. He uses his reach advantage to perfection. Not really a fault of Eddie but a masterful display of timing and distance measuring by Conor.

Its even more impressive because it happened right at the beginning of the fight. In gerneal you need some time to adapt to your opponent.

Easy to look like a boxing against a walking punching bag. Those punches from Justin are soooo slow and easy to read.

Eddie learned from the Conor fight.

Either you win or you learn.

eddie looked great but make no mistake, Mcgregor would dust him again. Easy to look like Ali against a slow, flat footed , predictable sloppy brawler.

Where was this vs Conors. I know he admitted to blowing his gameplan but still. It could have been such a great fight

Gameplan goes down the toilet when you get hit square in the face bruh.

Where was this vs Conors. I know he admitted to blowing his gameplan but still. It could have been such a great fight

You must have missed the part where Conor countered him with superior timing and range basically every time Eddie attempted to close.

Very slick indeed.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
At least Eddie didn’t give up on fighting after his loss

A lot of people are bringing up Conor in this thread even though he’s become totally irrelevant since beating Eddie.

Last edited:
Back