gilbert burns or maia

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
who do you think has the best jiu jitsu for mma? obviously most are gonna say maia out the gate cause gilbert doesnt always try to take guys down and shows bad kick boxing but he was very relevant in the grappling scene for years after maia dropped out gilbert has some great armbars hes a finisher alot like maia

I still say Maia. He can control guys much better and has almost mastered a single takedown that he can rely on. Burns' takedown game isn't nearly where it should be for the level he is fighting. Reaching for body locks and having bad shots will only work for so long.

I still say Maia. He can control guys much better and has almost mastered a single takedown that he can rely on. Burns' takedown game isn't nearly where it should be for the level he is fighting. Reaching for body locks and having bad shots will only work for so long.

i mean as far as there jiu jitsu game not takedowns as is aid gilbert doesnt really go to ground much lately but neither has maia sadly

I still say Maia. Maia really made it work for him for years and years against so many different fighters.

Burns is awesome and probably has the best armbars skills in MMA but right now isn't even doing a ton of jiu-jitsu in the octagon. In fact out of the early Atos camp I would say Davi Ramos is displaying a little bit more than Bruns recently here.

I don't think Rani Yahya gets enough credit.

guess cause hes a small guy

did u see his fight with chase bebe when chase had his back in a body triangle and controlled him the whole time? i think mainstream people diss him due to that fight in wec

guess cause hes a small guy

did u see his fight with chase bebe when chase had his back in a body triangle and controlled him the whole time? i think mainstream people diss him due to that fight in wec
I think it's also because a lot of his fights are prelims or not televised as well. And he seems very quiet and low key

I think it's also because a lot of his fights are prelims or not televised as well. And he seems very quiet and low key

he seemed to wreste guys mroe tbh i dont think hes as good as you think mma really evolved with it's grappling game around 2015 rani was at his best around 2008-2012 when most pros were barely purple belt level and he still didnt dominate so if he couldnt do it then i doubt he can now tbh i think that javi vasquez is a better bjj for mma guy than him

Maia... it ain’t even close... the control maia has shown on top is really out of this world, he gets in top, people isn’t getting up...

Maia... it ain’t even close... the control maia has shown on top is really out of this world, he gets in top, people isn’t getting up...

wonder about bottom game? maia has good bottom too but i know thats burns strong suit butterfly sweeps and hitting armbars

wonder about bottom game? maia has good bottom too but i know thats burns strong suit butterfly sweeps and hitting armbars

Different game... maias whole bottom game revolves on sweeps and getting on top...

Last edited:
Shinya Aoki might have the most high level wins via bjj than anyone else I can think of. Granted he also has a shooto/judo background as well but he was mostly bjj. More recently I'm drawing a bit of a blank.

Werdum is another well rounded bjjer with a lot of big wins via bjj. Obviously Nogueira was the bjj guy for a while too.

Off the top of my head I feel like the lineage of top bjjers in MMA went something like:
-Royce
-Nog/Mir
-Werdum
-Aoki
-Maia
-Whoever is top dog now.
Obviously there are a bunch of guys who've displayed incredible bjj skills in between but I am forgetting others who were pretty solidified as the best in the game.

Shinya Aoki might have the most high level wins via bjj than anyone else I can think of. Granted he also has a shooto/judo background as well but he was mostly bjj. More recently I'm drawing a bit of a blank.

Your confusing the word Bjj with submissions, even when Maia decisioned some opponents, he always did it using Bjj. Passing controlling is part of Bjj, not jus flashy subs.

Werdum is another well rounded bjjer with a lot of big wins via bjj. Obviously Nogueira was the bjj guy for a while too.
the hw division back then wasnt very hard to be a good jiu jitsu guy marcus hicks i think his name as was just a blue belt and did very well on the ultimate fighter hw season back in 2009 he was close guard armbarring guys theres a vid online of nog getting out grappled by a heavy weight guy from Ireland who wasnt even high ranking

i think its hard to consider heavy weight guys for best guys cause in hw division guys are much less technical than 170 ect so they can get away with more stuff dc however is very good technical and a small heavy weight n thats why eh dominates so well even though being smaller due to just night and day differences with technique

Your confusing the word Bjj with submissions, even when Maia decisioned some opponents, he always did it using Bjj. Passing controlling is part of Bjj, not jus flashy subs.
well the end goal n bjj is to submit but i agree if it was submissions shinya aoki would be the best bjj guy on planet cause that guy is just insane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back