gilbert burns or maia

Your confusing the word Bjj with submissions, even when Maia decisioned some opponents, he always did it using Bjj. Passing controlling is part of Bjj, not jus flashy subs.
How do you figure Im confusing the 2? . Certainly Im aware that there is more to Bjj than subs but subs are also (obviously) a huge part of it. Are you suggesting that Aoki subbing guys is not a display of bjj? Aoki has been a bjj black belt for many many years and aside from all of his many high level submission wins over very good opponents, he has completely out-grappled guys like Shaolin Ribeiro, Marcus Aurelio, Satoru Kitaoka, JZ, etc.

the hw division back then wasnt very hard to be a good jiu jitsu guy marcus hicks i think his name as was just a blue belt and did very well on the ultimate fighter hw season back in 2009 he was close guard armbarring guys theres a vid online of nog getting out grappled by a heavy weight guy from Ireland who wasnt even high ranking

i think its hard to consider heavy weight guys for best guys cause in hw division guys are much less technical than 170 ect so they can get away with more stuff dc however is very good technical and a small heavy weight n thats why eh dominates so well even though being smaller due to just night and day differences with technique
Marcus Jones. He has ridiculous long and obviously very strong legs. I remember he armored the shit out of that Frank Trigg lookalike guy.

Off the top of my head I feel like the lineage of top bjjers in MMA went something like:
-Royce
-Nog/Mir
-Werdum
-Aoki
-Maia
-Whoever is top dog now.
Obviously there are a bunch of guys who've displayed incredible bjj skills in between but I am forgetting others who were pretty solidified as the best in the game.
I think Jacare deserves a nod somewhere on there. I think he's had a pretty underrated career in terms of what he did with BJJ in MMA despite not getting a title shot in the UFC.

Marcus Jones. He has ridiculous long and obviously very strong legs. I remember he armored the shit out of that Frank Trigg lookalike guy.
mhm log legs or not though just goes to show he was a blue belt u dont see blue belts in other weight classes below 205 close guard armbar guys right off the bat in ufc tbh today its even hard for amateur fighters today to catch armbars

Off the top of my head I feel like the lineage of top bjjers in MMA went something like:
-Royce
-Nog/Mir
-Werdum
-Aoki
-Maia
-Whoever is top dog now.
Obviously there are a bunch of guys who've displayed incredible bjj skills in between but I am forgetting others who were pretty solidified as the best in the game.

royce should be now here near on that list royce is not a top bjj guy in mma or bjj period his own brothers even say this he was def the weakest of all the gracie brothers

royce should be now here near on that list royce is not a top bjj guy in mma or bjj period his own brothers even say this he was def the weakest of all the gracie brothers
He was the top bjj guy in the ufc though in the early days just by default that he was basically the only one.

I think Jacare deserves a nod somewhere on there. I think he's had a pretty underrated career in terms of what he did with BJJ in MMA despite not getting a title shot in the UFC.
Ya know, I can't argue w that. And I did think of him. But Jacare's MMA career has always seemed like a bit of an oddity to me. Back in the day when MMA really started picking up momentum with the TUF/Zuffa boom (about 2005-07), we all knew who Jacare was bc of his incredible grappling accomplishments and bc he was already dabbling in MMA. He was always regarded as a sort of what if. He didn't really make it to the high level MMA scene until 2008-09 or so and by then a few other top bjjers from his era of bjj/sub grappling had already kind solidified themselves as the top bjj/sub grappling flag-flyers in top level MMA. And then it took him a while to really solidify himself as a tippy top level MMA fighter. Maybe that's just the way I experienced his career but I feel Maia and Werdum out-shined him a bit.

Last edited:
Ya know, I can't argue w that. And I did think of him. But Jacare's MMA career has always seemed like a bit of an oddity to me. Back in the day when MMA really started picking up momentum with the TUF/Zuffa boom (about 2005-07), we all knew who Jacare was bc of his incredible grappling accomplishments and bc he was already dabbling in MMA. He was always regarded as a sort of what if. He didn't really make it to the high level MMA scene until 2008-09 or so and by then a few other top bjjers from his era of bjj/sub grappling had already kind solidified themselves as the top bjj/sub grappling flag-flyers in top level MMA. And then it took him a while to really solidify himself as a tippy top level MMA fighter. Maybe that's just the way I experienced his career but I feel Maia and Werdum out-shine him a bit.
I agree and I sort of think he got fucked over just a little bit. My recall isn't top shelf so I can't pinpoint the moment but I think there were a couple moments where they could have given him a push but didn't. I think he fought a few more fights than he should have had to fight. I know the fight game isn't fair though. If he spoke English and had the same skill set I think he would've either had a title shot or been given an easier 'contender' fight along the way.

I agree and I sort of think he got fucked over just a little bit. My recall isn't top shelf so I can't pinpoint the moment but I think there were a couple moments where they could have given him a push but didn't. I think he fought a few more fights than he should have had to fight. I know the fight game isn't fair though. If he spoke English and had the same skill set I think he would've either had a title shot or been given an easier 'contender' fight along the way.
Yes absolutely. Usually when a rising prospect with a big-time background in another combat sport is climbing the ranks, a win over an established, respected vet is what puts them over. Jacare should had this after the 1st Mayhem fight or the Joey Vilasenior win. It didn't exactly work out. I also think fighting in Japan post-PRIDE was a mistake for any fighter with aspirations of UFC gold. This wasn't as obvious back then and with hindsight always being 20/20 I can't blame him too much for signing with Dream, but Jacare probably wouldve been better off signing with early Strikeforce, EliteXC, WEC, or even the IFL if he couldn't get into the UFC back then. To your other point, it is a shame that a highly aggressive, well-rounded, finisher didn't receive a bigger push earlier on.

Kron is well on his way, especially with his willingness to jump to guard

How do you figure Im confusing the 2? . Certainly Im aware that there is more to Bjj than subs but subs are also (obviously) a huge part of it. Are you suggesting that Aoki subbing guys is not a display of bjj? Aoki has been a bjj black belt for many many years and aside from all of his many high level submission wins over very good opponents, he has completely out-grappled guys like Shaolin Ribeiro, wMarcus Aurelio, Satoru Kitaoka, JZ, etc.

Because there’s much more than subs... Bjj first goal is to control people, then Sub them. There’s less flashy guys like Maia for example...

By the way, he never in his life outgrappled shaolin ribeiro, they fought and they did not go to the ground even one time. Aoki outstrike him...sounds weird, but that is what happened, u guess you looked at his record and assumed he outgrappled him... never happened

Because there’s much more than subs... Bjj first goal is to control people, then Sub them. There’s less flashy guys like Maia for example...

By the way, he never in his life outgrappled shaolin ribeiro, they fought and they did not go to the ground even one time. Aoki outstrike him...sounds weird, but that is what happened, u guess you looked at his record and assumed he outgrappled him... never happened
Yes there is much more to bjj than just subs but my point is, submissions are just as much a part of bjj as ground control. Aoki is a submission based finisher, Maia tends to control guys on the ground, you can't tell me Maia is the better proponent of bjj. Just like you can't say a great top control guy is a better proponent of wrestling than a great takedown artist bc there is so much more to wrestling than just takedowns.

As for the Shaolin fight, I've definitely seen it, but I may be thinking of the Rob McCullough or Rich Clementi Fight from that relative time period. I'm recalling how Aoki had proclaimed himself an exciting finisher and criticized fighters in the UFC for winning by boring decision via ground control only to win his upcoming fight via boring ground control. But even if you wanna discount the Shaolin fight, my point still stands. Aoki has positionally outgrappled many great bjjers/fighters in addition to subbing many great bjjers/fighters.

Back